Clay Pots

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iPat09

Train Attendant
Anyone know if Amtrak still gives those little Native American style clay pots to sleeper style passengers? My dad and I each got one when we went to ABQ back in '96.

I was on the Coast Starlight recently and no clay pots there. A nice amenity kit...no pots. Lots of stuff that Amtrak used to do is long gone. Cost constraints.

All sleeping cars either have restrooms (Superliners) or in-room toilets (Viewliners).
Maybe since the toilets are being removed from the roomettes on the new Viewliners, the clay pots will be reintroduced? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
All sleeping cars either have restrooms (Superliners) or in-room toilets (Viewliners).
Maybe since the toilets are being removed from the roomettes on the new Viewliners, the clay pots will be reintroduced? :D
Aaaaaaannnnddddd another thread gets locked. ;)
Hmmmm :)

But seriously, I wonder if those might've been the Fred Harvey style pots? Did Amtrak ever have a connection with Harvey, the way Santa Fe did?

the whole Harvey/Mary Colter design thing comes to mind. I would **never** use a Harvey pot for 'inner sanctum relief.' :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe we should write our congressmen and tell them we want the pots back. They have so much luck getting other less important legislation passed.

Sounds like this was a tiny souvenier provided by an exceptional Sleeping Car attendant. Even when I lived in NM and rode the SW Chief three times, I never heard of this - though that was only 7 years ago... Sounds cool. If I were an SCA on that route, I would consider a small token like that to pass out to my guests. I'm sure it would be more than compensated for in gratuities.

Sounds like this was a tiny souvenier provided by an exceptional Sleeping Car attendant. Even when I lived in NM and rode the SW Chief three times, I never heard of this - though that was only 7 years ago... Sounds cool. If I were an SCA on that route, I would consider a small token like that to pass out to my guests. I'm sure it would be more than compensated for in gratuities.
Exactly. They are small souvenirs, probably something you could buy at the museum in ABQ. If it was just one SCA, then we were pretty lucky. There was one in our roomette when we boarded in Chicago. And then the other was also in our roomette when we boarded in ABQ almost a week later. I was hoping this was something they were still doing so my brother could have one. This is his senior trip after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back