Coast Starlight -- Sacramento to Albany, Oregon

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are taking the CS from Sacramento to Albany, Oregon, in early June. It will be our first train ride. We will be traveling coach northward and Superliner Bedroom on way back. At first we reserved a Roomette for northward journey but downgraded to reserved coach seats because of the shortness (14 hrs) of trip and the late boarding (midnight) in Sacramento. We are both retired and have poor hearing, even with hearing aids. Hearing PA announcements on train will be problematical.

Questions:

1. What important PA announcements might we miss?

2. Because of midnight departure time in Sacramento will we have difficulty getting adjoining seats?

3. Can my wife sit across from me in the dining car? Don't like having stranger sitting right across from me.

4. How often are lower level luggage racks full? Should we check a medium sized suitcase?

5. Are e-tickets getting scanned in station or by conductor?

6. Are there usually lines at the snack bar?

7. We will eat lunch in dining car. Do we just go to car to be seated or will there be announcements made?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Roger

Folsom, California

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I are taking the CS from Sacramento to Albany, Oregon, in early June. It will be our first train ride. We will be traveling coach northward and Superliner Bedroom on way back. At first we reserved a Roomette for northward journey but downgraded to reserved coach seats because of the shortness (14 hrs) of trip and the late boarding (midnight) in Sacramento. We are both retired and have poor hearing, even with hearing aids. Hearing PA announcements on train will be problematical.
Questions:

1. What important PA announcements might we miss?

**Normally there are No Announcements between 10PM and 7AM on LD Trains! Let the Attendant know your Status!

2. Because of midnight departure time in Sacramento will we have difficulty getting adjoining seats?

**Shouldnt be a problem, SAC is a Major Boarding Point on this Route, lots of folks get off in Bay Area and SAC from lAX!

3. Can my wife sit across from me in the dining car? Don't like having stranger sitting right across from me.

** In the PPC on the way back they will seat 2 @ a table! Ask the LSA in the Diner on Way, it depends on the Crowd and the LSA!

4. How often are lower level luggage racks full? Should we check a medium sized suitcase?

** You shouldnt need to check a Bag, plenty of Room on Coaches and Bedrooms for Luggage!

5. Are e-tickets getting scanned in station or by conductor?

**Conductor does the e-ticket Scan on Trains, not sure if its in the Station on Platform with New Set-up in SAC!

6. Are there usually lines at the snack bar?

** Depends but usually Not Long!

7. We will eat lunch in dining car. Do we just go to car to be seated or will there be announcements made?

**They will make Announcements, but Rez is required in PPC for Meals on your return!! Dinner is always by Rez on LD Trains!

Thanks in advance for you help.

Roger

Folsom, California

Usually (almost 100% of the time) in the regular Dining Car, if you are a group of 2 they ask you to sit side by side. In the Pacific Parlour Car (PPC) which is only available to those in a sleeper, they do seat 2 at a table. Breakfast is always first come/first served. Lunch may or may not be, but dinner is always by reservation only. On your return, your sleeping car attendant (SCA) should have made your reservation for thou.

I want to thank you guys for your help.

Does the diner car offer take-out service at dinner time? You would coordinate with you SCA and s/he would bring it to your room. I think that I have read this somewhere in the forum, but am not sure where it would apply. Otherwise, we would look to the PPC car for dinner like you guys have suggested.

The answer to both questions is yes. There is "take out service", but your SCA would have to get it and bring it to your room. Just be aware that the "table" in the rooms is very small. I barely have enough room when I'm traveling out of Portland alone - and that's a boxed meal, not a full diner meal for 2! :excl:

If at all possible, I personally would try to eat in the PPC. And at least spend some time there. Those cars are over 60 years old, there's only 5 of them left that Amtrak owns and they won't be around forever! :(

Regarding the suitcase, you'll have no problem bringing it as a carry-on but if you don't plan to access

it along the way, why not check it? It's free to check a bag and you'll have it within minutes of your arrival

in Albany and Sacramento.

As far as PA announcements, the only one you REALLY need is the one announcing your destination.

Northbound, a conductor or attendant will notify you based on your seat-check slip above your seat and

if you tell your coach attendant that you need some extra TLC it shouldn't be a problem. Southbound, the

train will sit in SAC for 30-60 minutes if it's running on time, so you'll have no issues there.

Thanks for the response.

Since the Sacramento rail yard is going thru extensive changes, we went over today for a walk thru. The tracks have been moved about 200 yards from the station. They have electric carts to take people to the platform, if need be. The station itself is very old and appears to be going thru reno changes. All in all, not a real pleasant place with it's current configuration.

How do coach passengers lay claim to their seats for the trip duration? If we both are absent from our seats, what stops someone else from claiming them? I assume we could leave some personal items like coats, etc. Are we given a seat assignment ticket when boarding?

Thanks again.

How do coach passengers lay claim to their seats for the trip duration? If we both are absent from our seats, what stops someone else from claiming them? I assume we could leave some personal items like coats, etc. Are we given a seat assignment ticket when boarding?
When you board in Sacramento the conductor will write up what's called a "seat check." It's a small paper ticket that is placed in a slot above your seat. That will let other passengers know that the seats are taken.

You can leave your luggage, coats and anything else you'd like at your seat. But I highly suggest keeping your valuables with you at all times. (The trains aren't unsafe but it's best not to provide any temptations.)

And I agree... the platforms and tunnel at Sacramento are nice... but they are a haul from the station building. Also the station is a mess right now with all the construction.

As in any other place, I would keep my valuables (like computers, phones, purses, etc...) with me if no one is at the seat, but I have no problem leaving things like coats, blankets or my luggage there. Also remember that even if someone does take something (unlikely but not impossible - a train is kind of like a small community where many watch out for others), they will probably still be on the train! Very few people get off a train going 79 MPH!

The thief may still be on the train, but once they snitch your smartphone or even laptop

then it is gone. There is no practical way to search everyone's belongings on a train

and the offender could be 3 to 6 cars away. That said, just keep a close eye on your

stuff and enjoy the ride.

There are considerable differences, but also lots of similarities, so why don't you stick your toe in the water by taking a ride on one of the Amtrak-California Capital Corridor trains down to Martinez or even Emeryville with the bus connection across to San Francisco to get some idea of how things will be?

On these Califorrnia trains the seats will be closer together, do not recline and half face each way Those on the Starlight recline and can be rotated so that they are all facing in the direction of travel. There is a snack bar car on the California trains. It has seats and tables but it functions like a carry out, that is, line up, place your order and pick it up, find tools and salt/pepper etc. at a counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back