Comfortable seats

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjaynes288

Train Attendant
I love the coach seats on the Cascades. They fit me just right. They have armrests. I can sit all the way back with my feet flat on the floor. I can actually reach the headrest. I could sleep in this seat. Superliner seats on the other hand are torture devices. They provide no support especially for people with short legs who cannot reach the footrest. How tall/large do you have to be to find Superliner seats comfortable? After such a comfortable ride in my assigned seat on Cascades I resent having to spend my entire CS ride next week at a table in the SSL to not be in pain.

I don't quite understand the question. Without getting into the "lounge lizard" debate, you are saying that you would rather spend all day and night on an unpadded seat in the SSL than in a padded seat of a coach seat? :huh: There's padding on both the seat, seatback and footrest! And the footrest can be raised to almost any angle - even more then 90°! So what difference does it matter if your feet do not reach the floor? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP may not have known there is a leg rest.

I'm 5'6" with a short torso, and the Superliner coach seats are a bit uncomfortable. They angle strangely along my lower back, so I have to put a little pillow there. Also, my legs are not long enough to use the foot rest, so if the seats did not have a leg rest, my legs would be aching after having the seat cut me mid-thigh for so long. I always use the leg rest to avoid circulation issues.

I'm 6'1 and I also find the Superliner and Amfleet II ( they are the same seat correct?) very uncomfortable.

I also find the booths in the lounge car MORE comfortable than the coach seats. But I always travel in sleepers now for overnights (thanks to guest rewards!).

The most comfortable seats on the amtrak system IMHO are the NC owned rebuilt coaches on the Piedmont. Now those seats I could sleep in! And with extra large windows too!

I'm 6'1 and I also find the Superliner and Amfleet II ( they are the same seat correct?) very uncomfortable.

I also find the booths in the lounge car MORE comfortable than the coach seats.
I second that. I make an effort to avoid non-Regionals (Vermonter, Keystones, etc) on the NE corridor since the cafe seating is so much more comfortable for me.

I make an effort to avoid non-Regionals (Vermonter, Keystones, etc) on the NE corridor
I'm 6'0", and would take a non-regional (which are mostly Amfleet II) between KIN and WAS or even PVD-NYP-BUF which are Amfleet I. Except for the LSL - but even there you can't be sure, as I was on the LSL from BOS-ALB and it was an Amfleet I going to CHI. Passengers who boarded that car in like WOR or SPG had seat checks indicating CLE, TOL and CHI (or similar)! :eek:

I really like the leather seats in business class on the Wolverine, but I have no idea what kind of car that is.

Many times when I have been on the train, I make sure I check the leg rests before I choose my seat. If the seat is assigned, if the leg rest does not work, I ask for a different seat. I am tall and could go with just the foot rest, but it is much more relaxing to have the leg rest.

I have shown many people about the leg rest because they have no idea about it and have struggled with just the foot rest. My last trip, there was an older lady who was struggling to put a suitcase under her feet because she could not reach the foot rest, I pulled her leg rest up and she was close to tears for my help.

I hope this helps. I am tall and I find that there is much less leg room in the Cascades and I prefer the Superliners and Viewliners with the leg rests.

I do not find anything uncomfortable about Amtrak's seats, of course I am only 5'7''. But, compare Amtrak seats to those of cars, planes, or buses. IMHO, Amtrak has the most comfortable out of all of them. Ride in a car or plane for 15 hours, then ride a train for 15 hours. You can feel the difference.

Re:

" I resent having to spend my entire CS ride next week at a table in the SSL to not be in pain."

Then why are you taking the trip? Seems that the simple solution would be to not go. :wacko:

I do not find anything uncomfortable about Amtrak's seats, of course I am only 5'7''. But, compare Amtrak seats to those of cars, planes, or buses. IMHO, Amtrak has the most comfortable out of all of them. Ride in a car or plane for 15 hours, then ride a train for 15 hours. You can feel the difference.
I'll definitely give you that. :) Compared to my recliner at home, they're kind of "meh". Compared to a car or a plane, I'll definitely sit on the train all day any day.

I have bad balance. I do not want to fall out of my seat or into a stranger's lap. To sit straight, not contorted into an uncomfortable possition, and be balanced I need either both arms or both feet on something solid. Amtrak does not beleive in armrests. The seat is horribly uncomfortible with my feet on the floor. When I tried the legrest it left my feet dangling making balancing a nightmare and causing my AFOs(expensive custom ankle braces) to dig into my legs. This brings up the question of whether to take off my AFOs. They are uncommfortable to wear for long periods but if I take them off my ankles need to be supported not dangling off the end of a legrest.

Without getting into the "lounge lizard" debate, you are saying that you would rather spend all day and night on an unpadded seat in the SSL than in a padded seat of a coach seat? :huh:
No absolutely not! I cannot figure out how anyone can sleep on the seats in the SSL. I tried once and lasted less than 5 minutes. I am talking about sitting at a table talking (unless an obnoxious person scares everyone else away again), playing Sudoku, or listening to the radio while watching the lights go by. The benches at the tables have a pad about 3 inches thick on both the seat and the back. I occasionally take a 30 minute nap sitting with my head down on the table.

Well at least that makes sense. Amtrak seats are made to fit people around 5'7" which is about average height I would guess. I am 5'3". I find Southwest Airlines seats very comfortable for 6-8 hour flights. My parents only buys cars with seats we find comfortable (PT Cruiser and Ford Edge currently). Why would anyone buy an uncomfortable car? Several times over the last year my father has driven me between OR and CA, ~10 hour. Sometimes I did not get out during the trip and I never had a problem. I find Superliner seats uncomfortable the second I sit down. Last week I went one stop on the CS (not long enough to merit climbing the stairs) and my body objected to the little over an hour I spent in that seat.

Then why are you taking the trip? Seems that the simple solution would be to not go. :wacko:
I need to get from Oregon to the San Francisco area. Not going is not an option. My train ticket cost less than a ride to the airport. The bus costs more and the clientel are too colorful for me. I do not drive. I enjoy meeting people on the train but I want a seat that is not painful.

Last edited by a moderator:
This gets out of the "cheaper than a ride to the airport", but how about a sleeper car? Yes... It's pricey. But why would anyone pay for a ticket for a mode of transporation they aren't comfortable on?

Just wanting to say that I totally understand the OP... the Superliner / Amfleet II seats make me uncomfortable after about 2 hours. I'm 6'1.

For day trips I just hang in the lounge most of the time.. and for overnight trips I get a sleeper.

I know people will laugh at me... but I honestly find the seats on NJ Transit bi-levels more comfortable.. even though they have limited leg room and do not recline.. I'm saying the seats themselves are more comfortable. But that's for me.

A roomette might be out of the question since you mentioned finances, so would it work to prop your legs up on your suitcase or a cooler or something else that's the right height for you? Could you perhaps bring a pillow to put under your legs (not sure if that will help with your braces)?

I have bad balance. I do not want to fall out of my seat or into a stranger's lap. To sit straight, not contorted into an uncomfortable possition, and be balanced I need either both arms or both feet on something solid. ... I am talking about sitting at a table
I too have a balance coordination problem, although not as severe as yours, so I do understand the problem. What if the padded leg rest is raised to a 45°-90° angle? Is that not solid enough? :huh: And I'm just wondering what you do for meals? Seating in the Dining Car are the same type of seating as in the SSL booth - and there are 4 people at the table, including a stranger next to you!
If it sounds like I'm condescending, I apologize in advance!

I too have a balance coordination problem, although not as severe as yours, so I do understand the problem. What if the padded leg rest is raised to a 45°-90° angle? Is that not solid enough? :huh: And I'm just wondering what you do for meals? Seating in the Dining Car are the same type of seating as in the SSL booth - and there are 4 people at the table, including a stranger next to you!
If it sounds like I'm condescending, I apologize in advance!
The first thing you need to know is I have impaired proprioception (feeling where my body is and if it is moving), coordination, and slow visual processing. My proprioception works best in my ankles and arms. I recognizes I am off balance faster using my feet or arms to feel the shift in weight. Without that I often do not realize I am listing until after it is to late to correct.

I do not use the diner but when the SSL is full I have shared a seat. I keep both feet on the floor shoulder width appart and my forearms on the table. I have yet to land in anyones lap. I can get these same 5 points of contact in a normal coach seat on the Cascades or the seat on my walker but not a superliner.

I'm 5-1 and find nearly all seats to be a lousy and uncomfortable fit. SarahZ's suggestions about putting something on the floor are exactly what I do. I prefer soft surfaces so pack a soft-sided carry-on with hard items (toilet articles and medical supplies) on the bottom and soft items (clothes) on top. You might prefer a hard-sided case or even a cardboard box (tied up with handles to make it easy to carry).

I also use a pillow or jacket to lean against the window. In an aisle seat, I recline to a little more than the window seat, then lean against the side of the window seat.

Hope you figure something out so you can really enjoy the trip.

I partially agree with the OP. The legroom is great but the seat feels a bit too large and awkward. There's very little support along the bottom. Sitting in a LD Coach seat feels like lissting on two huge flat rectangular pads that recline and offer a lot of legroom. The pad itself isn't that great, most of the stuff is about the legroom.

I'm not very tall, 5'11", so a bunch of the legroom itself is a waste for me.

If you are thirifty and don't want to ride a Superliner, maybe you would consider riding on YKW.

Sorry OP your not going to enjoy your train trip.

Please do try Sarah, and Alice ideas. However your needs are not going to be meet by the equipment your travel on. Old design that has never been look at for improvements.

That center arm rest is something most people will agree should be there. Just like a shower, power plugs, and Internet access are on people top picks of must have. Some are on the train, some are planned upgrades, others are just not available on a Superliners coach car.

Viewliners with the leg rests.
I hope not. Viewliners do not have leg rests - since they are sleeping cars. The single level coach cars are Amfleet I or Amfleet II, with most LD coach cars using Amfleet II,
I was calling it a viewliner as in the whole train, not just the car. Amtrak calls them Viewliners, I don't know the different types of coach cars, sorry if I confused anyone.

I have bad balance. I do not want to fall out of my seat or into a stranger's lap. To sit straight, not contorted into an uncomfortable position, and be balanced I need either both arms or both feet on something solid. Amtrak does not believe in armrests. The seat is horribly uncomfortable with my feet on the floor. When I tried the leg rest it left my feet dangling making balancing a nightmare and causing my AFOs(expensive custom ankle braces) to dig into my legs. This brings up the question of whether to take off my AFOs. They are uncomfortable to wear for long periods but if I take them off my ankles need to be supported not dangling off the end of a leg rest.
The foot rest does go up higher, but you might want to put something in between the back of the seat in front of you and the leg rest. If you take off your braces, you could have your legs on the leg rests and your feet securely on whatever you put there or the foot rest in the upper most position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back