CZ Service Disruption (6/25) and more delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak will call you, probably on Saturday, if it looks like Sunday is a no-go. In 2002, when my Sunset Limited was annulled (canceled) because of a UP derailment, they called the day before). This is where including a cell phone number in the reservation is particularly helpful.

One highlight of the UP route to look for is when you go over the Kate Shelly High Bridge, at 2,813 feet long and 190 feet high one of the largest double track railroad bridges in the country. This is just west of Boone.

A person uploaded the detoured Zephyrs from Thursday. Both had UP leaders to meet cab signal requirements.

Here's a freight train meeting Amtrak #6(23) at Fairfax, Iowa:

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll be into Boone soon, so I'll keep an eye out! Thanks for all the info guys :)

Should see a lot of freights on the double track UP line plus some neat old stations in Des Moines, Ames, Cedar Rapids (i think)
In addition to UP's regular freight traffic, there's also at least one Iowa Interstate Railroad train being detoured on the UP because of closed floodgates on their line in Des Moines (where there is a neat old station that's not on the UP mainline).

For those that like a visual aid, this is what the old Chicago & North Western station looked like at Ames in 2011:

Track a Train shows today's #5 back on the normal route. Did BNSF repair the flood damaged track in Iowa already?

This is the latest from BNSF website:

06/26/2015

Updated Report: Washout at Melrose, Iowa

On Thursday, June 25th, 2015 at 5:15 a.m. Central Time, we received a preliminary report of a washout on the main tracks at Melrose, Iowa. Melrose, Iowa is approximately 30 miles West of Ottumwa, Iowa. The estimated time for opening for the first main track is Friday, June 26th, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. Central Time. The estimated time for opening for the second main track is Saturday, June 27th, 2015 at 6:00 a.m. Central Time.

BNSF will continue to provide you with additional information as it becomes available. Customers may experience delays of 24 to 36 hours on shipments moving through this corridor.

They may take the #6 thru their regular route in Iowa in the morning (Saturday) possibly. Tonight's #5 wouldn't come thru there unless it is delayed.

I see that it is on the regular route so they must be planning on coming thru late tonight or early in the morning on the regular route. That would be them several hours late into Omaha.

The #5 in Iowa is running about 3 hours late and has been sitting in Burlington, IA for more than 30 minutes. I'm guessing they are waiting on the First main track to be repaired at Melrose which BNSF says will be some time around midnight. The #5 that started in Chicago yesterday is 10 1/2 hours late on it's way into Fraser, CO

I certainly hope the weather settles down soon. Between that and the track work, June certainly hasn't been a good month for the Zephyr. Here's hoping July (and especially August when I ride it!) will be better.

#5(26) is now under Service Disruption, but is back on the move for now.

Whoa.

A Guest started a thread in this forum section?

I know here where I live here in Iowa we got 4" of rain on Wednesday the 24th.

The last time I checked earlier this morning the 6(24) was 7 hours late. Track-a-Train now says there is a service disruption and they can't show estimated arrival/departure times.

My sister and her husband are on it returning from Reno.

Latest update on the track in Iowa from BNSF:

06/27/2015

On Thursday, June 25th, 2015 at 5:15 a.m. Central Time, we received a preliminary report of a washout on the main tracks at Melrose, Iowa. Melrose, Iowa is approximately 30 miles West of Ottumwa, Iowa. The estimated time for opening for the first main track is Saturday, June 27th, 2015 at 12:01 p.m. Central Time. The estimated time for opening for the second main track is Saturday, June 27th, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. Central Time.

BNSF will continue to provide you with additional information as it becomes available. Customers may experience delays of 24 to 36 hours on shipments moving through this corridor.

So they have missed their original estimate. From Amtrak map it looks like last nights #5 (26) is still stuck in Iowa (Ottumwa right now) and #6 (25) is almost 8 hours late coming into Lincoln.

Latest update on the track in Iowa from BNSF:

06/27/2015

On Thursday, June 25th, 2015 at 5:15 a.m. Central Time, we received a preliminary report of a washout on the main tracks at Melrose, Iowa. Melrose, Iowa is approximately 30 miles West of Ottumwa, Iowa. The estimated time for opening for the first main track is Saturday, June 27th, 2015 at 12:01 p.m. Central Time. The estimated time for opening for the second main track is Saturday, June 27th, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. Central Time.

So they have missed their original estimate. From Amtrak map it looks like last nights #5 (26) is still stuck in Iowa (Ottumwa right now) and #6 (25) is almost 8 hours late coming into Lincoln.
Guess they should have stuck with the detour for one more day.

I saw one BNSF freight train go by heading east. Looks like they've started to open the line. #5(26) appears to have left the Ottumwa depot, though presently stopped at the western edge of Ottumwa for the moment. Meanwhile, #6(25) has been stopped southwest of Denton, Nebraska for some time now.

Sounds like the dispatcher just told #5 that they expected Maintenance to clear Main 1 between 1:00 and 1:30 PM.

Just heard a dispatcher say #5 would be backing up to the Ottumwa station so the passengers could have a break. Also mentioned that something was a fiasco.

Just heard a dispatcher say #5 would be backing up to the Ottumwa station so the passengers could have a break. Also mentioned that something was a fiasco.
That is going to be one train full of angry people (passengers and crew alike).

5(25) is currently running 11 hours late in eastern Nevada, departing Elko at 2:02 PM instead of its regularly scheduled 3:03 AM. Won't make the western terminus of Emeryville before midnight, which means 6(28) might also depart EMY late so that any returning OBS get required minimum number of hours off duty for rest.

5(25) is currently running 11 hours late in eastern Nevada, departing Elko at 2:02 PM instead of its regularly scheduled 3:03 AM. Won't make the western terminus of Emeryville before midnight, which means 6(28) might also EMY so that any returning OBS get required minimum number of hours off duty for rest.
And 5(26) has to be closing in on 20 hours late at this point, and it's not even moving west right now. That's really going to create some (more) headaches.

Moderator Note: Two California Zephyr threads were merged into this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back