DC to Maine Trip advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to start off by saying I've rode the MARC a few times but that's my extent of trains. I'm planning a trip for 2 from the DC area to Wells, ME next summer. I'm looking for any tips kind of specific to this trip that anyone has to offer. I know that once we reach Back Bay Station we will have to transfer via the Orange Line in Boston to get to North Station. Are the baggage restrictions for that line similar to Amtrak? Also, looking at the available tickets and times it seems it's going to take about 12 hours total to get up there. I wanted to look at the scenery instead of sleeping on the way up. Am I making a mistake here? Thanks in advance!

Boston's Orange line is a metro line similar to DC's Metro. I do not believe MBTA has any baggage restrictions however if you have a lot of baggage (or some large ones) traveling on the T during rush hour with them would be more difficult.

You didn't specify which train #s you are planning on taking; depending on the train combinations (there are quite a few different times you can go on this route) you may or may not be sleeping for part of it. However one can do the trip comfortably in a day. A quick look on Amtrak's site can have me leaving WAS @ 7:30am and getting into WEM by 6:45pm the same day which would all be during daylight hours (might be starting to get dark on arrival) This is on the Regional. If one takes the Acela you can leave a bit later (9:00am) but you will be arriving at the same time.

Welcome to Amtrak & Amtrak Unlimited!

peter

Hi! You have chosen an awesome trip.

If you want to cut down on time, you can take the acela from WAS to BBY (back bay). That should shave some time off the trip. plus there are better views out the window as the windows are larger on the acela. Definitely try to ride on the RIGHT hand side of the train headed north, that will be the ocean side! There are some beautiful views/scenery once you hit CT and head north through RI along the ocean.

As for the downeaster, it is a great ride. In my opinion it is worth the extra few dollars to upgrade to Business Class on this train. There are no luggage restrictions on the orange line in Boston - if you can carry it, you can bring it on the "T". Just be aware that the trains are very crowded at rush hour so you might have difficult if you try to ride it with 5 suitcases at 5 pm. if you are going in the summer that will help, more people on vacation = less commuters on the T.

I did your last portion of the trip about two weeks ago. It took me about 15 minutes to make the orange line transfer to BON (boston north station) from BBY around 4 pm.

By more difficult you mean strange looks and mad people for the 10-15 minutes on the train ride? :) I understand though. I'm going to try to get just two carry-ons with one being a backpack.

I haven't decided on the train #'s yet. That's what I was looking for advice on choosing. I see that some leave at night and others during the morning. If the scenary is worth it I'd like to have both trips (to maine and back) during the day.

I've heard about Acela before but not sure what it is exactly. Is this the same as Amtrak but just another train? Same route? I didn't see if on amtrak's site.

By more difficult I mean the train will be crowded and packed with people that you and your carry ons will fit, but you will have to push through the crowd and be assertive when you get off at BON. There are many people who get on at stops between BBY and BON on the orange line (basically, all of the downtown stops) and those people are riding out to their homes in the 'burbs (Medford & Malden). So the train is literally packed with people/commuters. However, a bunch of people do get off at BON because that station is also a commuter rail station for people that live even further out.

ETA: If you are going in the summer (like July), as long as you can make the 5 pm downeaster out of BON the trip to Maine will be entirely in the daylight. Even with a 5:40 departure from BON up to Wells, if you go in July, you will probably be entirely in daylight.

As for the acela, yes its amtrak. It is their faster train that plies the same route, but with less stops, than the NE regionals. When you look for a ticket from WAS - BOS/BBY at amtrak, the acelas will have 4 numbers like 2157 or 2171 while the regionals will have 2-3 numbers like 66 or 175.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Acela is Amtrak's "High Speed" train. It reaches speeds arround 150mph. I personally haven't taken it (although I want to) however I've been told its quite nice; it runs on the same tracks as the Regional Trains but doesn't stop for as many station and goes faster.

Amtrak's Acela Express Page

peter

As said, The Acela is Amtrak's high speed train, goes up to 150 MPH in spots, and travels the same route as a Regional - but costs (usually) 2-3 times more! But compare the prices - I have seen sometimes Acela Express (AE) costing LESS than a Regional!
cool.gif
Also be aware that on a Regional, the 2 classes of tickets are coach and business class. On the AE, the 2 classes are Business Class and First Class!

First Class on the AE includes meals and all the drinks (including alcoholic
biggrin.gif
) that you want, served at your seat, but it costs much more!

Personally, if you are "new" to Amtrak travel, I'd opt for the Acela. YES, it cost quite a bit more than Amtrak's other option, the Regionals. BUT, since you are making this a trip, and not a daily commute, ENJOY yourself. Make sure that you also register and sign up for Amtrak's loyalty club, called AMTRAK GUEST REWARDS.

It's a pretty good way to earn free rail travel, and not nearly as hard to earn rewards as most of the Airline loyalty clubs.

Current AGR members can also get a referral "finders fee" (in points), if you join AGR, and then travel within 90 days or so. (but they have to send you a LINK)

As other posters (OP) stated, sit on the right hand side going north. You can get off at either Back Bay or South station in Boston. I prefer South, just cause I think the food and amenities are better. You can catch the subway to North station from either Back Bay or South though.

If you are so inclined, you can bring your own snacks and non-alcoholic bevs on Amtrak. (if you ever take a long distance (LD) trip in the future, and reserve space in a sleeper (roomette, bedroom, or family bedroom) you can even bring along your own choice of "adult beverages" for personal consumption.

But on your ride up the east coast, bring a book, your iPod/iPhone/MP3 player, and be ready to relax. Grab a window seat on the right. No need to actually PRINT your ticket, until you get to the station, that way there is no penalty if you need to change it.

Virtually all Regional seats, all Acela seats, and the DownEaster seats should have AC outlets, should you need to charge anything up.

Lastly, (sorry to rant) Book AS FAR IN ADVANCE as you can. The further ahead you book, typically the lower the rates will be. If you are a student, AAA, student, or Military, you an also get a 10% discount on your rail fare. (but not on the Acela trains, no discounts at all there)

Right now, looking several months out, the one way (OW) Regional fare is (SPECIAL) is $68, the Acela Business Class is $152, and if you REALLY want to go FIRST CLASS, (which would include two pretty good meals, and any adult bevs, served at your seat) you could add another $114 to the $152 on the Acela.)

Go. Travel. Enjoy. Become a member of this looney group.

Lastly, (sorry to rant) Book AS FAR IN ADVANCE as you can. The further ahead you book, typically the lower the rates will be. If you are a student, AAA, student, or Military, you an also get a 10% discount on your rail fare. (but not on the Acela trains, no discounts at all there)
Almost right Jerry!
tongue.gif
There are no discounts on AE during the week, but you can get a AAA discount on weekend runs!
smile.gif

Almost right Jerry!
tongue.gif
There are no discounts on AE during the week, but you can get a AAA discount on weekend runs!
smile.gif
Also a Senior discount :) (20%) but no upgrades to First Class are allowed on Discount fares even on the weekends! Rail Passes are not good for travel on Acela @ anytime! :(

Almost right Jerry!
tongue.gif
smile.gif
Also a Senior discount :) (20%) but no upgrades to First Class are allowed on Discount fares even on the weekends! Rail Passes are not good for travel on Acela @ anytime! :(
The Senior discount is 15%, not 20%. And paid upgrades to First Class are always allowed on AAA & Senior discounted tickets. I've done that many times for myself using AAA and for my mom using the Senior discount.

What you cannot do is use the free upgrade coupons with a discounted fare.

Wow thank you for all the great information! I didn't expect such a quick bunch of responses.

I don't think I'll be upgrading to the Acela because it's only an hour less on the train and it won't get me there any sooner; only leaving later which is not a problem for me. I do plan on booking the trip within the next few weeks so I can get these great prices. Under $200 for 2, try doing that on a plane :)

Another question: Amtrak's baggage policy state that carry-ons should be no larger than 28x22x14". If I have a suitcase that's 28 inches tall itself but has 2" wheels on one side, will that be able to be carried on? How strict is the policy? Does all carry-on luggage go above the head in the liner or what?

The size restrictions and really the "2 bag carry-on limit" are really only "RECOMMENDED" limits! If you can carry it easily by yourself easily (assuming it is not like 6 feet long), it can be carried on!
wink.gif
I have never seen it strictly enforced!

And there are many items that do not count for that limit, such as:

• purses
  • coats
  • sweaters
  • pillows
  • computers
  • cameras
  • etc...

And there is plenty of storage in the luggage rack above your seat (it is open, not closed like on a plane), and there is also room for larger bags at the end of the car!

I thought of a few more questions:

1) Is there any type of water fountains/sinks to get water from for free on the train? With a 8 hour ride I'm probably going to go through more than a liter of water :)

2) If you get a reserved seat instead of the coach on the regional train, does amtrak tell you where to sit? Meaning do you have a designated seat? I realize that buying coach could mean you're standing on the ride up.

3) All of the routes seem to take me to Back Bay (BBY) and it was mentioned south station (BOS) has better food. How do I go about getting to BOS instead of BBY when buying the tickets?

1) Is there any type of water fountains/sinks to get water from for free on the train? With a 8 hour ride I'm probably going to go through more than a liter of water :)
There is water available, but if you really think that you'll need more than a liter, I'd bring more with you instead. Or stop and buy another bottle off the train as you transfer in Boston. They do also sell bottled water on the train, but it's a bit pricey by comparison to what you could buy off the train.

2) If you get a reserved seat instead of the coach on the regional train, does amtrak tell you where to sit? Meaning do you have a designated seat? I realize that buying coach could mean you're standing on the ride up.
No, they don't assign seats on these trains. Other than the business class car, you are free to sit where ever you like and can find a seat to sit in.

3) All of the routes seem to take me to Back Bay (BBY) and it was mentioned south station (BOS) has better food. How do I go about getting to BOS instead of BBY when buying the tickets?
You stay on the train one more stop. And even though it sounds like it, I'm not joking. BOS & BBY are interchangable, they both cost the same so it doesn't matter where you get off. I routinely book BOS for my trips, but have been known on many occasions to get off at BBY. Heck even Route 128 costs the same and one can get on off there too, although that wouldn't help you with your trip at all.

The reason we suggested BBY was because its a one seat orange line transfer to BON. If you go to BOS, you will need to take the red line from south station on the T and then transfer to either the orange at downtown crossing or the green line at Park Street. So it's just a little more complicated.

That being said, BOS is by far the nicer station. You could also take a cab from BOS to BON for approximately $10 (traffic permitting).

What are the big advantages for upgrading to the business class from coach on the Northeast Regional and Downeaster? All I can see is an AC outlet and free newspaper, for $88 a person?

The Downeaster Business Class car is 2x1 seating, with leather seats w/headrests, legrests and footrests. You get a free non-alcoholic beverage. There is also free wi-fi throughout the entire train. It's only 8 bucks to upgrade.

The Downeaster Business Class car is 2x1 seating, with leather seats w/headrests, legrests and footrests. You get a free non-alcoholic beverage. There is also free wi-fi throughout the entire train. It's only 8 bucks to upgrade.
Yes I was wrong, $44/person for the northeast regional and $8/person for the downeaster. What is 2x1 seating?

Yes I was wrong, $44/person for the northeast regional and $8/person for the downeaster. What is 2x1 seating?
Its a cafe car with two seats on one side, single on the other, they are faux leather, only used as business class cars and there is only like 15 seats available. It probably isnt worth the $44 upgrade on a regional EXCEPT if you are on the night trains #66/#67, then it is for sure! :excl: The upgrade on the Downeaster is one of the deals in travel, snag it when you go North from Boston! ;)

Got it. So get business class on the downeaster but it's not really worth it for the Northeast Regional day trip. Thank you :)

With all the coffee I drink, plus the free paper, it ends up being cheaper if I upgrade to business...

If time allows, check out the Seashore Trolley museum. About a 15-minute drive from the Wells Station. If further time allows, you can take the train up to Old Orchard, or even up to Portland and back.

The station in Portland is mostly useless since its far from the center of town, and public transport is limited. But the short stretch just south of Portland is very scenic as the train travels through the marshland. Otherwise, the best scenery is in the coastal section of Connetticut. The train follows the coastline with expansive views.

The stretch from New York to DC is mostly gloomy though. Always seems the trainstops are in the worst parts of towns, and the right-of-way is a magnet for garbage.

The stretch from New York to DC is mostly gloomy though. Always seems the trainstops are in the worst parts of towns, and the right-of-way is a magnet for garbage.
That doesn't sound too reassuring after I already purchased the tickets...

Don't worry. There are some very nice sections between DC & NY. Yes, there are a few dumps along the way too, but the crossing of the Gunpowder River for example is quite impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back