Denver Union Station questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darien-l

OBS Chief
Urgent help is needed with the following questions:

(i) Do the Amtrak thruway buses still leave from Wynkoop street across from Union Station, or have they been switched over to the new bus concourse?

(ii) Where the closest public parking to the station is located. Street parking is ok.

Thanks!

The buses leave from the new concourse under the train platforms, the second gate on the left after you come down from the station. I took the bus to Raton in October. Sorry, can't advise about parking.

Thanks, greatcats, very helpful! We should get together for a drink in Flagstaff one of these days (I live here too).

Anyone have any insight on parking?

From the Union station webpage:

http://denverunionstation.org/

"Although there will be no passenger parking at the new location, there are numerous long and short- term parking lots and garages around Union Station. For more information on parking downtown, visithttp://www.downtowndenver.com

http://www.downtowndenver.com/getting-around/driving-and-parking"Parking near Union Stati

For more information, Amtrak customers locally can call (303) 825-2583 or the toll-free Amtrak contact centers at (800) USA-RAIL.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/parking+near+1701+Wynkoop+St,+denver/@39.7531224,-105.0001446,17z/data=!3m1!4b1?hl=en

That makes the bus transfer very convenient. And of course the transfer to various other non-Amtrak buses is also much more convenient than before (with the sole exception of Greyhound).

When I've gone to or through Denver on the CZ, there have always been gobs of people connecting to buses to various parts of Colorado. Perhaps with the weather-protected, enclosed transfer, there will be even more now.

The Thruway bus should be a Greyhound. Yeah, they go to the bus concourse. Be aware that, while Greyhound has a new booking system and isn't supposed to overbook, the Amtrak booking system is separate and you may get bumped off the bus.

The Thruway bus should be a Greyhound. Yeah, they go to the bus concourse. Be aware that, while Greyhound has a new booking system and isn't supposed to overbook, the Amtrak booking system is separate and you may get bumped off the bus.
Amtrak now reserves seats on Greyhound buses. Being bumped would be highly unlikely!

If I may add one more question; does anyone know what the closest Enterprise Car Rental office is to Denver Union Station? The Enterprise site doesn't mention anything about Union Station service but those turkeys really make a big deal about the airport locations.

I used the Hertz Downtown site (2001 Welton St.) last time I was in Denver. They were very nice about dropping me off and picking me up.

Looking it up, the downtown Denver Enterprise is at 650 15th St.

The buses leave from the new concourse under the train platforms, the second gate on the left after you come down from the station. I took the bus to Raton in October. Sorry, can't advise about parking.
Greatcats -- once again, thank you for this info, it quite literally saved the day! I was asking these questions for my girlfriend who was a bit nervous about traveling out of the new DUS, and, as it turned out, with good reason.

The ticket counter did not open at 5:30a as advertised, there was no one available to help, and absolutely no signage to indicate where the 5:45a bus to Raton departed from. The departures screen (see below) provided no gate information. My girlfriend did eventually make it down to the bus concourse and found the bus by trial-and-error -- she said it was not at the second gate on the left, but at least she knew it was somewhere on the concourse. She got on with less than 2 minutes to spare. Incidentally, the Denver Union Station website still says the following on the front page:

> The stop for Amtrak Thruway buses will be temporarily located on Wynkoop Street, across from Denver Union Station and marked with signage.

I've advised my girlfriend to contact Amtrak Customer Relations about this stressful experience.

IMG_1550.JPG

I use the Enterprise site at 2265 Broadway, which is a 3 block walk from the Greyhound Bus Depot.

Ugh! I'm sorry about your girlfriend's experience. It is no good for the bus to be saying "last call" without listing a gate number, with the ticket counter closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back