Disruptions at CUS during G08 and NATO summits in May?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fuest_riverman

I've seen on other (non-Amtrak) sites that CHicago is bracing for major civil disturbances around the time of the G-8 and NATO summit meetings in CHicago in May.

How bad will these disrupt traffic through CUS?

How bad will security get at CUS then? Just like at O'Hare? (Or worse?)

What kinds of delays should departing/arriving/connecting passengers expect?

There is no reason for summits like these to be held in populated areas, given the problems they cause.

The dates are official! The G8 Summit will be May 19-20 and the NATO Summit will be May 20-21, 2012. This is the first time in more than 30 years that the events will coincide. At least 4,000 dignitaries and journalists will come to Chicago for the spectacle, along with the many anticipated protesters.

We suggest planning for travel disruption and taking safety and security precautions about 3 days before the Summits, and about 2 days after. So, mark you calendars for the key days of May 16-23.
Not clear why train movements in CUS would be affected. The Summit venue is quite far from it at:

McCormick Place Convention Center

2301 S. Lake Shore Drive

Chicago, IL 60616

Does anyone remember the additional security measures that they had in place in Boston when the Democrats had the national convention there in - what year was it? 2004 maybe? IIRC, the convention was taking place at the Boston Garden, which is right above BON.

I personally did not take the train very often at the time in or out of BON because I lived right on the red line at the time.

Not clear why train movements in CUS would be affected. The Summit venue is quite far from it at:

McCormick Place Convention Center

2301 S. Lake Shore Drive

Chicago, IL 60616
While train movements at Union Station might not be affected, several Amtrak trains, including the City of New Orleans, do use the St. Charles Airline, which goes underneath McCormick Center.

While train movements at Union Station might not be affected, several Amtrak trains, including the City of New Orleans, do use the St. Charles Airline, which goes underneath McCormick Center.
True. Trains that travel on ex-IC and on CSSB will have problems.

Just for your info the TSA was at CUS today with their dogs.

:angry: :angry: :angry:
They were on Hiawatha #330 from Milwaukee. An agent boarded downline from Milwaukee (don't remember which station). He just walked up and down the isle, didn't see him interact with anyone. It was just strange seeing a dog onboard after all the talk about "no pets allowed" (yes, I know they are not pets).

I am scheduled to take the Hiawatha from Milwaukee to Chicago this Saturday (the 19th), and then take the 21 to Dallas. I'm wondering if I should take the 8:15am train to Chicago so I can get there extra early, instead of taking the next train, giving me a little over an hour before the 21 is scheduled to leave. I had planned on walking over to the Art Institute to check out some sculptures, but maybe I'll stay put at Union Station! I had not idea NATO and G08 were going to be in town this weekend, or I wouldn't have scheduled my trip during that time. ugh!!
mad.gif

I've done the same twice, both times taking the 334 Hiawatha at 11:00. That gave us about an hour and 20 minutes, as the Hiawatha is rarely more than 5 minutes late. But next time, probably this fall, we'll take the 332 which will give us time to do a little sight-seeing and grab some lunch. So I'd suggest taking 332, actually leaves MKE at 8:05 and MKA (airport) at 8:15. Should give you no problems with TSA.

Since the time of the original post in January, the G8 component of the summit was split off. Now with only NATO the summit is only 2 days - Sun & Mon with additional security impacts for the days ahead too.

It will be an interesting time to visit Chicago for sure.

United States Secret Service (according to a conductor) will be in charge of screenings on Metra trains and all security for trains in and out of the city.

Plan on train delays whether you are Amtrak, Metra or CTA 'L'. Watch the various websites closely and often. If your train goes under McCormick Place (Hiawatha doesn't) expect extensive delays.

Things are already heating up. For those of us that live downtown we're not quite sure what to fully expect. Maybe all this beefed up security will be for nothing. I'll be happy if that's the case.

I haven't seen too much yet, but then again, I'm in West Loop so I'm a bit removed from all of the "fun."

I was planning on doing the Talgo thing on Sunday, so I'll probably aim for 331 just to make sure delays don't somehow manage to get in the way of 333.

I've never went to a train station at the same time a G-8 meeting is being held at that station. I cannot understand how that would cause delays.

Since the time of the original post in January, the G8 component of the summit was split off. Now with only NATO the summit is only 2 days - Sun & Mon with additional security impacts for the days ahead too.

It will be an interesting time to visit Chicago for sure.

United States Secret Service (according to a conductor) will be in charge of screenings on Metra trains and all security for trains in and out of the city.

Plan on train delays whether you are Amtrak, Metra or CTA 'L'. Watch the various websites closely and often. If your train goes under McCormick Place (Hiawatha doesn't) expect extensive delays.

Things are already heating up. For those of us that live downtown we're not quite sure what to fully expect. Maybe all this beefed up security will be for nothing. I'll be happy if that's the case.
I saw that the G8 Summit had been moved, so that's at least some good news! I had planned on maybe walking to the Art Institute to see the Bean sculpture and maybe just check out Michigan Ave a little before heading back to CUS. But, if things aren't going well downtown, I'll stay at CUS until the 21 leaves. I have a 3 hour drive just to get to the Milwaukee Airport, where I will return my rent car and catch the train, so I'll have to leave around 4:15am!

For one thing, the Summit is not being held at the station. The main thing is extra security!
Pretty much right, depending on "which" station we are talking about.

To be clear - the NATO Summit is being held at McCormick Place, which is above the McCormick Street Station. Metra and Amtrak trains pass through McCormick Street station (which is underneath McCormick Place). SOME of the Amtrak trains that will pass through the McCormick Place station depart from/arrive at Chicago Union Station. The only Metra (commuter) trains that pass through the McCormick Street Station are 'Electric District' trains which terminate at Millennium Station.

But as pointed out, security on ALL rail (passenger & freight) that go through downtown Chicago (Chicago Union Station, Ogilvie Transportation Center, LaSalle Street Station, Millennium Station, McCormick Place Station, CTA 'L' stations, etc) will be extensive during the summit.

Metra has banned all luggage and many carry-ons during the summit, on ALL commuter lines. Airline type security - even with carry-on liquids - is in place.

Roads will probably be in worse shape. Local roads, highways and expressways will be shut down extensively while the various presidents and prime ministers are shuttled to the heart of the city from Chicago's airports.

SOME of the Amtrak trains that will pass through the McCormick Place station depart from/arrive at Chicago Union Station.
Nit-picky, but ALL (not SOME) of the Amtrak trains that pass through McCormick Place station depart from/arrive at Chicago Union Station.

SOME of the Amtrak trains that will pass through the McCormick Place station depart from/arrive at Chicago Union Station.
Nit-picky, but ALL (not SOME) of the Amtrak trains that pass through McCormick Place station depart from/arrive at Chicago Union Station.
Yea you are exactly right. I meant to say some of the Amtrak trains that depart/arrive Chicago Union Station pass through McCormick Place Station. But all Amtrak trains going through McCormick Place station do indeed terminate at CUS.

In some additional news it looks like Metra Electric District trains arriving inbound around 1pm to 7pm through McCormick Place will not operate at all. Not sure if Amtrak is following this pattern...

Last edited by a moderator:
City of New Orleans, Illini, & the Saluki trains passes under McCormick Place, so the last stop before Chicago is Homewood, so I bet cops at the Homewood station to sweep the trains before it heads towards Chicago, & southbound trains to be sweeped before leaving CUS. One would think Amtrak would post a notice about it for it's riders on it's site, but has not as of yet.

Also another interesting notes on the South Shore site:

On the South Shore site it tells it's passengers that trains will have full stops and individual screenings at the Hegewisch Station before it joins the Metra Electric Tracks.

Due to the heightened security presence, any significant threat or onboard disruption will result in the train being rejected from the McCormick place red zone and reversed to its origination point with intermediate stops.

Also at Homewood the village is holding it's annual Railroad Days on Sunday, & I wonder how this will impact security on the Metra & Amtrak Platforms at Homewood since there will be alot of camera holding railfans there, & that usually uses the Amtrak & Metra platforms for taking photos even thou it 20 miles from McCormick Place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back