Do's and Dont's of train travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
When in coach...

Don't spread your stuff over all the seats when you are traveling alone

Do keep your stuff handy, but in your personal space so others can sit down.

The dinner...

Don't hog all the butter pats

Do share with others at your table.

The lounge/cafe car...

Don't sit at the tables and only read a paper

Do take that paper upstairs to the lounge seats so those who bought food may have a place to enjoy it.

The station...

Don't run to the train

Do safely walk to the train

Disembarkation...

Don't wait until you actually pull up to the station to gather your belongings

Do begin gathering them and move safely towards the door at the announcements directions

Do not block the coach aisles.

Do not stare at people as they are walking down the aisles.

Do not lug lots of heavy luggage aboard (use checked baggage or travel lighter)

Do let ladies go first if encountered in a narrow hallway (e.g., sleeper hallways)

The lounge/cafe car...Don't sit at the tables and only read a paper

Do take that paper upstairs to the lounge seats so those who bought food may have a place to enjoy it.
i just use common sense, if it's dead, i read the paper. if it starts getting crowded i pack it up and move :)

Be considerate. Throw out your trash - don't leave it in the seat back. After all, YOU could be the next person to sit there!

If after reading the paper, if you do not intend to take it with you, you may want to leave it in the lounge car so that others may read it, if they want.

• DO use earphones with your DVD Player / MP3 Player / Scanner.
  • DO tip your servers and sleeper attendants.
  • DO be nice to the OBS (on board staff)- they will most likeley be nice to you.
  • DO talk to strangers - it's one of the best things about taking the train.

• Don't expect to ALWAYS be on time.
  • Don't complain to the OBS when trains are late.
  • Don't be late for departure.
  • Don't hog the overhead luggage bins.
DO TAKE THE TRAIN!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • DO be nice to the OBS (on board staff)- they will most likeley be nice to you.

DO TAKE THE TRAIN!
And DON'T take the plane!

Be considerate. Throw out your trash - don't leave it in the seat back. After all, YOU could be the next person to sit there!
If after reading the paper, if you do not intend to take it with you, you may want to leave it in the lounge car so that others may read it, if they want.
I like that. The train crew is not your personal housekeeper. On the Pacific Surfliner (or planes as far as that is concerned) the seat pocket guides or magazines is not the place to put chewing gum that has lost its flavor...EWWWW!

DO bring your kids aboard.
Do NOT let them disturb other travellers
AMEN TO THAT!!! I love the fact kids are facinated by trains...please encourage train safety with your children while watching trains, and when on board don't let them run amuck. The vestibules can be a fun place to play watching the rails go by, the the vestibules are one of the most dangerous places to be as a kid...except in front of the engine of course. :unsure:

DO bring your kids aboard.
Do NOT let them disturb other travellers
AMEN TO THAT!!! I love the fact kids are facinated by trains...please encourage train safety with your children while watching trains, and when on board don't let them run amuck. The vestibules can be a fun place to play watching the rails go by, the the vestibules are one of the most dangerous places to be as a kid...except in front of the engine of course. :unsure:
We lived near a switchyard when I was a kid-- sometimes if the Engineers were nice enough they'd let us stand on the walkway of the engine with our fathers as they shunted cars about-- once or twice I hopped onto a coal hopper and rode it from one side of the yard to the other. It was a lot of fun and created a lot of fond memories.

But there's a moral to this-- it may be fun but kids often don't know the danger on the tracks. They see the fun but not the danger around the corner.

I like that. The train crew is not your personal housekeeper. On the Pacific Surfliner (or planes as far as that is concerned) the seat pocket guides or magazines is not the place to put chewing gum that has lost its flavor...EWWWW!
amen scott. I cant tell how many times i work the coaches and some didnt flush the toilet or left paper towels on the floor and we havent made it though the trip yet.

also another tip...

please remember in the diner its commuity seating.

Last edited:
amen scott. I cant tell how many times i work the coaches and some didnt flush the toilet or left paper towels on the floor and we havent made it though the trip yet.

also another tip...

please remember in the diner its commuity seating.
That's why there are always four people in my party when I go to the diner. Me, myself, I, and my ego.

When in coach...Don't spread your stuff over all the seats when you are traveling alone

Do keep your stuff handy, but in your personal space so others can sit down.

The dinner...

Don't hog all the butter pats

Do share with others at your table.

The lounge/cafe car...

Don't sit at the tables and only read a paper

The station...

Don't run to the train

Do safely walk to the train

Disembarkation...

Don't wait until you actually pull up to the station to gather your belongings

Do begin gathering them and move safely towards the door at the announcements directions
here's just few more.....

Diner:

please listen to your seating times. It possible to get behind

when you do come into the diner please wait to be seated.

please don't complain about the prices.

Last edited:
Don't complain to the OBS that the train is ___ hours late! They are on the same train that you are, and they can not leave until well after you can! (And if the final stop is their home base, I'm sure they want to get home as much as you do!)

Please remember that at night in a sleeping car people may be trying to sleep.

I wish Amtrak would bring back the signs that used to hang in Pullman cars that said "Quiet is requested for the benefit of those who have retired".

Don't jabber on your cellphone as loudly and as annoyingly as possible, especially in the wee hours of the morning, especially while in coach.

DO talk quietly so as not to disturb other passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Summing it all up:

Be considerate - treat others as you would have them treat you ( where did we hear that one before ???)

Expect to meet people and make friends.

Enjoy your trip, if the train is late, enjoy the ride, enjoy the extra time to look out the window. Wave to the people watching from trackside. ( If they're not railfans, they'll wonder what you're doing )

DO TAKE THE TRAIN!
Should you use earphones even in a roomette or bedroom, even if the volume is low? (obviously if it's late at night, I'd use earphones)

DO TAKE THE TRAIN!
Should you use earphones even in a roomette or bedroom, even if the volume is low? (obviously if it's late at night, I'd use earphones)
Daytime I've played a radio softly with the door closed, but listening to news not music. I figure it's just someone else in the conversation. I wouldn't do it after lights out. The scanner always has an earphone.

That's what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back