Do's and Dont's of train travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do . . . enjoy pleasant fraternization and socializing.

Do Not . . . . "hit on" members of the opposite gender.

do keep your kids under control

do not let your kids run around the train unsupervised they could get injured.

Last edited by a moderator:
DO bring your kids aboard. 

Do NOT let them disturb other travellers

Do bring adults aboard.

Do NOT let them disturb other travellers.

Chilren are not mini-adults and should not be expected to act like a responsible adult. They should behave and the parents/guardians should hold them to that standard. Children are going to be a bit of a pain at times, but so are other adults. Public transportation involves travelling with children, elderly and all other kinds of folks. If one can't deal with the public, public transportation may not be all that enjoyable.

Dan

Should you use earphones even in a roomette or bedroom, even if the volume is low? (obviously if it's late at night, I'd use earphones)
If the door is open, then yes. Otherwise, I usually don't use my earphones once I'm in my room.
Yeah I thought that was one of the perks of a sleeper-- not getting headphone fatigue.
Thanks! I wanted make sure it would be ok-we might watch a movie or 2 (with the door shut)

I'm hoping that the rocking of the train will be relaxing!

I find it almost too relaxing! (I said "almost" - but in a very good way!)

I find it lulls me into being so restful, that I want to sleep like at 8 or 9 PM, and usually do sleep by 10 or 11 PM. (That's usually 3-5 hours earlier than normal.)
That's good to hear...without going into a lot of details, I'm hoping it will help de-stress the both of us. :D The last month or so have been a bit rough.

I find it lulls me into being so restful, that I want to sleep like at 8 or 9 PM, and usually do sleep by 10 or 11 PM. (That's usually 3-5 hours earlier than normal.)
That's good to hear...without going into a lot of details, I'm hoping it will help de-stress the both of us. :D The last month or so have been a bit rough.
LD train travel is about the most relaxing event I've experienced. And it's really cool that it can last for days.

LD train travel is about the most relaxing event I've experienced. And it's really cool that it can last for days.
That is the most encouraging thing for me to hear. After reading so many reports about how relaxing it is, I really pushed to get this trip for him (& me)

Sorry for waylaying the thread

Back on track-

Do say please & thank you!!!

Don't act like you are the only passenger on the train! Do treat the the staff with kindness! And don't forget to :D

Chilren are not mini-adults and should not be expected to act like a responsible adult. They should behave and the parents/guardians should hold them to that standard. Children are going to be a bit of a pain at times, but so are other adults. Public transportation involves travelling with children, elderly and all other kinds of folks. If one can't deal with the public, public transportation may not be all that enjoyable.

Well said! ;)

To sum up this entire topic...
See Rules of Common Sense.

Enough said.
Shawn,

As a teacher of mine once said "common sense"...it's not "common" and it's not a "sense!"

Which seems to be why we have this topic! ;)

Be considerate. Throw out your trash - don't leave it in the seat back. After all, YOU could be the next person to sit there!
If after reading the paper, if you do not intend to take it with you, you may want to leave it in the lounge car so that others may read it, if they want.
AMEN to that....I'm amazed at the trash left, especially in the Sightseer lounge....horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back