Earning AGR points...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I just recently started an AGR account, and I was curious as to any hints you may have regarding earning points. Are there any good ways to do so other than through Amtrak travel? I have already earned quite a few points from travel alone - in fact, I bought a one-way Chicago-Ann Arbor ticket using AGR - definitely love that you can get a ticket on the Wolverine for 1000 points.

I know that there is an AGR credit card, but I'm not sure as to whether it's really worth it. I've also heard of people doing something with Continental airline miles, though I heard this is changing due to the United merger. I don't fly Continental/United anyway (if I do fly, it is likely to be Delta or Southwest), though I did see you could convert AmEx points to airline miles (I wish I knew this when I got my AmEx - I could have had 10,000 AGR points by converting my bonus to Continental miles and then AGR). Just wondering if there were any tips/tricks out there, as I do see myself traveling Amtrak more often, particularly given how much I've enjoyed my last few long distance trips...

The least effective way to earn AGR points is (surprise) by traveling on Amtrak!
mosking.gif

The best way is to get the AGR MasterCard and charge EVERYTHING on it! I do, even if I can a newspaper, and earn 1,000 to 2,000 AGR points EACH MONTH!
biggrin.gif
Another great way to earn AGR points is to do your online shopping thru the AGR Points for Shopping portal!
smile.gif
(Note that you must enter the store's site thru the portal. Example: If you enter Best Buy directly thru bestbuy.com you will not receive AGR points!
sad.gif
However if you enter Best Buy thru Points for Shopping, you WILL earn AGR points!
smile.gif
)

Also, you can purchase up to 10,000 AGR Points per calendar year @ $27.50 per 1,000. I try to wait until Amtrak runs special promotions where they give you an additional 20% - 30% Bonus! On the 1st Saturday of May is National Train Day & Amtrak runs special promotions, giving double or triple points for travel. But, like Dave advised, the Master Card is the best way!

Have Fun

Also in using the Amtrak Master Card there have been several "specials" this past year whereby if you use it for restaurants, electronics stores, etc, they will give double, triple points on top of the regular 1-1 points you receive for spending. Just received Points for Shopping from Dick's Sporting Goods, JC Penney and others on Christmas shopping. :)

As Traveler has stated, it is a great way to add up large amount of points by buying everything with it. Just remember to pay it off each month since fees are pretty high :eek:

Shop around though for the CC, I waited until there was a 36,000 bonus for signing up. Most of the time I think it's only 12,000. I haven't seen the points yet, so I don't know for certain I'll get them all, but we'll see. Someone on Flyertalk shot me the link to the 36,000 promotion, I can send you the link if you like, but again, not sure it will work if it was targeted. They never said anythign about it, just sent me the card, but as I said, it's been a few weeks and no points yet. I think my card cycle ends on the 12th, should see them soon after that I expect.

Also, you can purchase up to 10,000 AGR Points per calendar year @ $27.50 per 1,000. I try to wait until Amtrak runs special promotions where they give you an additional 20% - 30% Bonus! On the 1st Saturday of May is National Train Day & Amtrak runs special promotions, giving double or triple points for travel. But, like Dave advised, the Master Card is the best way!

Have Fun
Amtrak advises Sat. May 12th, 2012 (2nd Sat. in May) as National Train Day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also check out the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. They're currently offering 50,000 points if you charge $3,000 in the first three months. You can transfer points to Amtrak if you are approved for the Preferred card.

Also check out the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. They're currently offering 50,000 points if you charge $3,000 in the first three months. You can transfer points to Amtrak if you are approved for the Preferred card.
I presume that the transfer is at 1:1?

I presume that the transfer is at 1:1?
yes. I opened an account last year and received 50,000 points that transferred very easily. I am still using the card, since it does not charge a foreign transaction fee, and I might go to Canada again (if the express deals get better). The card currently offers double points for hotels, restaurants and travel. I used it for my hotels in NY, Toronto and Seattle and got double points. :)

We have come to love the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. We get double points when dining, groceries and gas. We also received 50,000 bonus points and now have around 62,000 points there and plan on transferring them soon. Sometimes we will "pick up the tab" at a restaurant and have others pay us in cash or check and it can really add up. We had a $200 dinner recently with 8 people and then had the others pay us after we swiped the card and wallah............400 points! Also the Starwood Preferred Guest Card has promos from time to time of 30,000 bonus points after the first purchase and the transfer is 1:1. I find buying things on the AGR Mall a real hassle. We have had to fight with them tooth and nail to get points. I find using the CSPC so easy and can net us alot of points when we spend $200 a week on groceries and $50 a week on gas for two cars. Just those two entities gets us around 2000 points per month, not mentioning all the other things we throw on it as well.

I have a question about the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. I just got one. If I charge groceries and gas I get points that can transfer to amtrak? Really? I must have missed something!

Sue

Yeah, I don't quite get this either - how are you transferring points from a non-AGR credit card to AGR? Is this specific to Chase Sapphire Preferred, or can it be done with other credit cards that give rewards points? I know there used to be a way to do it by way of Continental miles, but to my understanding they ended this as of December 31st.

Yeah, I don't quite get this either - how are you transferring points from a non-AGR credit card to AGR? Is this specific to Chase Sapphire Preferred, or can it be done with other credit cards that give rewards points? I know there used to be a way to do it by way of Continental miles, but to my understanding they ended this as of December 31st.
The Diners Club card (somewhat of a rarity) also has direct 1:1 transfer of rewards points to AGR points.

I have a question about the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. I just got one. If I charge groceries and gas I get points that can transfer to amtrak? Really? I must have missed something!

Sue
Yes. Charges on the Chase Sapphire Preferred card earn points just like the AGR card. Once points are accumulated, one of the redemption options is a 1:1 transfer to AGR. One plus with the Sapphire Preferred card is that all travel and dining purchases earn 2x points per dollar. if you do a reasonable amount of travel and dining (and your Member Name is hint), the 2x feature can really help points add up.

Folks using Chase Sapphire Preferred card- I am considering applying for this card and have a question before I apply- is it possible to transfer points from this card to United Mileage Plus? I read on the website it mentions it is possible to transfer to Continental, but since Continental and United have merged, would it be possible to transfer points to United directly?

Folks using Chase Sapphire Preferred card- I am considering applying for this card and have a question before I apply- is it possible to transfer points from this card to United Mileage Plus?
Yes, if you have the Sapphire Preferred card, you can transfer your Ultimate Rewards points directly to United Mileage Plus.

PRR 60,

Thank you! I have some shopping to do! So much for carrying cash!! Everything is going on the charge and then I will pay it at the end of the month. Thanks for the help.

Just saw on my AGR account webpage, Amtrak is offering 32,000 points on sign-up and first use of Amtrak Guest Rewards World MasterCard. Should I grab this opportunity and apply for it or should I still consider applying for Chase Sapphire Preferred with its 50,000 points on $3000 worth of purchases in first three months offer? I am a single guy, just started my first job few months back. Do you folks think the Chase Sapphire, with its $95 fee after first year is worth going for or should I take up the Amtrak card offer?

BTW, in one of those tiny little font terms and conditions it says "After you spend $200 or more in a calendar year on Amtrak purchases using your Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard, you will then be eligible to redeem for airline miles, hotel points, and Audience Rewards." Anyone knows what this is? AGR points can be used for which airline's miles? What is the conversion ratio?

Please guide :)

Just saw on my AGR account webpage, Amtrak is offering 32,000 points on sign-up and first use of Amtrak Guest Rewards World MasterCard. Should I grab this opportunity and apply for it or should I still consider applying for Chase Sapphire Preferred with its 50,000 points on $3000 worth of purchases in first three months offer? I am a single guy, just started my first job few months back. Do you folks think the Chase Sapphire, with its $95 fee after first year is worth going for or should I take up the Amtrak card offer?

BTW, in one of those tiny little font terms and conditions it says "After you spend $200 or more in a calendar year on Amtrak purchases using your Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard, you will then be eligible to redeem for airline miles, hotel points, and Audience Rewards." Anyone knows what this is? AGR points can be used for which airline's miles? What is the conversion ratio?

Please guide :)
Id say go for the Amtrak Master Card offer! No Annual fee, 32,000 Points, Automatic Posting each month to your AGR Account, use it for Everything you can as the_traveler says, every Point counts! As a single, new owrker, Id hesistate to run up a $3,000 debt the first three months to pay off, just pay monthly on what you charge on the AGR card, no minimums, and No interest charges if you pay in full as due! Plus your Points on AGR dont expire long as you have the Card! :wub:

Someone elese will have to help with your other question, Airline miles do me no good, I'm retired and only travel on Amtrak! :lol:

Ok, so I fell for the bait and applied for the Amtrak MasterCard with 32,000 bonus points to start off with. Anyone knows usually how much time it takes for Chase to come back with the result whether the card is approved or not? Also, it says bonus points will be posted to account in 6 to 8 weeks, does it really take that long for points to show up?

I was thinking of getting the Chase Amtrak card but the offer I saw was for 12,000 points. Anyone know how to get 32,000 points? Also, I see they are offering a free companion coupon but it states it will take 6-8 weeks to get coupon and travel must be done by 2/29/12 so I am not sure how that will work. Maybe a better offer will come along.

I was thinking of getting the Chase Amtrak card but the offer I saw was for 12,000 points. Anyone know how to get 32,000 points? Also, I see they are offering a free companion coupon but it states it will take 6-8 weeks to get coupon and travel must be done by 2/29/12 so I am not sure how that will work. Maybe a better offer will come along.
benjibear go to Amtrak Guest Rewards homepage and look at those ad panels moving across the screen. One of those ads has the 32,000 points offer floating around. Once you click on More Details it will take you to this page. I hope I understood the offer correct. Don't want to end up with just 12,000 points!
huh.gif

Back