Express Trak cars finally going away

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

socalsteve

Train Attendant
The Express Trak cars in LA are just about gone. A batch left a couple months ago, and it looks like more just left recently. No idea where they went, but it's a lot easier to see into the yard and look at the actual passenger equipment now!

If Amtrak was able to use these cars to relieve the freight railroads of UPS and now, FedEx, for the right price, it would have been a killing winner for all concerned.

If Amtrak was able to use these cars to relieve the freight railroads of UPS and now, FedEx, for the right price, it would have been a killing winner for all concerned.
I think we (Amtrak) went down that road once...never again...
Does the word disaster come to mind?
Actually, if Amtrak leased them out to the freights as extra capacity (think...oh, about 20 freight car companies like TTX) rather than operating the cars themselves, as long as they exceeded the continuing maintenance costs in revenue, it would be a winner. That's not the job of Amtrak, of course, but since they've got the equipment just sitting there...

If they could have leased them, why not just sell them? All I can say is that it's about time they're gone from LA. I remember seeing them lined up during the Gathering in LA in 2008 - and before!

Did we? Back then, in the Warrington years, the notiion of carrying Amfrieght was tossed on to the laps of freight rr's to pay for the Long Distance trains that they didn't want in the first place. If I remember the plan was hastily shoved forward in order to beat the 2002 ARC deadline of self sufficiency. Now, and this depends on how fast they were able to move a UPS hot Z train from California to Chicago and the East Coast, if Amtrak can do it faster and cheaper (since a Genesis / Superliner consist has higher speed running than even the hottest Z trains, though I don't know how much average speed was between the two), then a courier like UPS and FexEx, along with Amtrak and the host rr's, would likely come to the table voluntarily to at least see the numbers. It's true that the idea was tried - but in a bad way, and it's almostly in the realms of fantasy that such a poker game could ever attract the key players in the same room again in the next decade. But one never knows, economies can and do change. Perhaps in another twenty years what was cold can be hot and vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they could have leased them, why not just sell them? All I can say is that it's about time they're gone from LA. I remember seeing them lined up during the Gathering in LA in 2008 - and before!
Amtrak may still be making lease payments on those cars. I recall seeing a long list of small lease payments for a lot of the (specialized) freight cars in one of the financial reports, but I don't have that in front of me. If that is the case, there could be penalty clauses on closing out the leases early by selling them. Or Amtrak tried to sell the cars, but had no takers at any price above scrap value.

Did we? Back then, in the Warrington years, the notiion of carrying Amfrieght was tossed on to the laps of freight rr's to pay for the Long Distance trains that they didn't want in the first place. If I remember the plan was hastily shoved forward in order to beat the 2002 ARC deadline of self sufficiency. Now, and this depends on how fast they were able to move a UPS hot Z train from California to Chicago and the East Coast, if Amtrak can do it faster and cheaper (since a Genesis / Superliner consist has higher speed running than even the hottest Z trains, though I don't know how much average speed was between the two), then a courier like UPS and FexEx, along with Amtrak and the host rr's, would likely come to the table voluntarily to at least see the numbers. It's true that the idea was tried - but in a bad way, and it's almostly in the realms of fantasy that such a poker game could ever attract the key players in the same room again in the next decade. But one never knows, economies can and do change. Perhaps in another twenty years what was cold can be hot and vice versa.

The freight railroads will never accept Amtrak stealing their business. It sounded like a good idea, but it was a disaster, from the delays suffered by passengers while freight cars were attached and detached, to the freight railroads which proceeded to treat Amtrak like a direct competitor and stuck Amtrak trains in sidings whenever they could and of course, the whole thing lost money! The money spent on the freight equipment should have gone to new passenger equipment. Probably the worst idea in Amtrak's history.

The freight railroads will never accept Amtrak stealing their business. It sounded like a good idea, but it was a disaster, from the delays suffered by passengers while freight cars were attached and detached, to the freight railroads which proceeded to treat Amtrak like a direct competitor and stuck Amtrak trains in sidings whenever they could and of course, the whole thing lost money! The money spent on the freight equipment should have gone to new passenger equipment. Probably the worst idea in Amtrak's history.
I think retiring many of the heritage cars probably tops that as the worst idea.

Yes. I recall when Amtrak attempted to run a 'Fast Mail' train from Boston to New York on the Inland Route in the '80's. Conrail refused to carry it from Boston to Springfield until Amtrak added at least one coach.

It depends on what generates more cash overall. Pitching them might generate more money up front, while leasing them out might generate more over a longer timeframe, followed by scrapping revenue. In other words, Amtrak has a bunch of equipment that it doesn't have much use for, so it's a question of how to get the best use out of it.

And I tend to agree that scrapping so much of the Heritage fleet was probably a worse idea. I can grant the sleepers going away because of the dump toilet issues, but the coaches (and domes) not so much. The only thing in Amtrak's defense here is that ridership was so stagnant for so long that I don't think anybody in the mid-90s could foresee ridership spiking 50% in the 2000s; even throwing out the Acelas and Metroliners, demand on the "regular fleet" is far above what it once was.

Yes. I recall when Amtrak attempted to run a 'Fast Mail' train from Boston to New York on the Inland Route in the '80's. Conrail refused to carry it from Boston to Springfield until Amtrak added at least one coach.
It was not that Conrail refused. Amtrak, by law, is not permitted to run freight only trains other than on their own trackage.

FedEx doesn't use rail, save for the occasional FedEx Freight shipment and moving around empty trailers.

UPS would not be interested in an arrangement where their boxes would have to be transferred from a trailer to a box car and then back again. No cost savings there. All UPS is interested in is trailer on flatcar and (increasingly) container shipment. They already have tremendous infrastructure built around their existing relationships - many of their large facilities are built directly adjacent to intermodal railyards. Amtrak also can't offer the single point of responsibility a freight railroad can. If a freight train is late, the railroad takes responsibility. If Amtrak is late, plenty of finger pointing will ensue as to who is at fault. UPS wants none of that - they have a model that works for them.

As others have mentioned, this idea has been tried and failed. The only potential for Amtrak in cargo is increased marketing for small cargo loaded in the baggage car, much like Greyhound and the airlines do.

Amtrak could start using some standardized containers to make the loading/unloading more efficient. Actually Amtrak is not really into doing package express efficiently either. Anything that they can squeeze in with minimal impact is OK and that is as far as it goes as far as I can tell.

If Amtrak were doing incidental shipping in the baggage car (i.e. Amtrak Express) and advertised it better (or at all), that wouldn't be an issue. Heck, if the shipping were able to generate a steady stream of incidental package traffic, I wouldn't mind them adding a bag or two to a train so long as it both covers any incremental costs involved and doesn't interfere with passenger operations. There's a difference between that and "going into the freight business", though, as this would basically be using space they already have in the baggage cars for far under a car load at a go.

It was not that Conrail refused. Amtrak, by law, is not permitted to run freight only trains other than on their own trackage.
IIRC, Amtrak did try to run it 'for mail and express only' (listed that way in the timetable), but Conrail refused until Amtrak agreed to add at least one coach....it must be somewhere in the timetable archives......I believe that until they did comply, they were forced to send the train via PVD to NHV.....

Prior to Amtrak, the Railroads did very well on mail and express business. Many times there were more head end revenue cars than passenger cars. The added revenue kept the trains running when they were losing money on passengers. The railroads helped to kill off the mail & express business by running late trains.

IIRC, Amtrak did try to run it 'for mail and express only' (listed that way in the timetable), but Conrail refused until Amtrak agreed to add at least one coach....it must be somewhere in the timetable archives......I believe that until they did comply, they were forced to send the train via PVD to NHV.....
Of course Conrail refused. Amtrak was illegally trying to encroach into Conrail's property. Wouldn't you refuse if a bum decided to come and plant himself in your living room too? :p

Express Trak was well thought out, poorly implemented, and in 20/20 hindsight, "not so well thought out" when it came to the "Real World". In an earlier era, or, if Amtrak had been given DIFFERENT contracts with freight RR's, this could have worked, but Amtrak would have ALSO had to been the entity doing virtually all of the switching at end-points, and we know that's never been the case.

The infrastructure that was around in the REA era, has long been decimated, AND the whole culture of HOW express shipments are handled has changed, thanks to Fed-X and UPS. (Container vs. LTCL and "single-sort")

Here's how it COULD HAVE WORKED:

1. Amtrak would offer end-point to end-point service. (even if contracted thru a 3rd party, it would have been labled "Amtrak")

2. Amtrak would have handled all switching at end-points.

3. Amtrak would have restored or built the infrastructure to allow for rapid loading/unloading of shipments at major terminals.

4. Amtrak trains carrying "Express Trak" would have had priority over route. OK, I've just crossed the line. I'm now in la-la land. Sorry folks.

In Summary, "It was an idea that worked YEARS ago, (REA again) but with all the changes to the RR industry, the ability to offer this type of service, at a profit-and without impacting service, no longer exist."

Well, at least conceptually, you've hit on a point: If the "freight" service was non-competitive with the main operations of the freights (I'm thinking both REA-esque stuff and "Super C"-style freight operations versus what's generally out there now), you've got a theoretical framework for this to play out. The problem is that it's not 1960 anymore, and the market for that sort of rail shipping which existed then really doesn't exist now.

Edit: Actually, if there were enough business and it were strictly endpoint business, I can't help but wonder sorts of fees could be afforded by such an operation.

Well, at least conceptually, you've hit on a point: If the "freight" service was non-competitive with the main operations of the freights (I'm thinking both REA-esque stuff and "Super C"-style freight operations versus what's generally out there now), you've got a theoretical framework for this to play out. The problem is that it's not 1960 anymore, and the market for that sort of rail shipping which existed then really doesn't exist now.

Edit: Actually, if there were enough business and it were strictly endpoint business, I can't help but wonder sorts of fees could be afforded by such an operation.
I think there IS a market for this service, but given constraints listed in above posts, we'll never see it. But then again, look at what the FEC is proposing, I for one, NEVER EVER thought I would see anything LIKE that come to fruition......

I think retiring many of the heritage cars probably tops that as the worst idea.
They were mostly retired due to the retention toilet requirement; retrofitting for that was more than the cars were worth. (Yes, I know VIA did retrofits of a collection of Budd cars, but they cherrypicked cars in the best condition, and it was a very questionable move economically. Amtrak's remaining Budds are falling apart now. The St Louis Car and Pullman-Standard cars were falling apart quite early. I expect VIA to be in big, big trouble in 10 years due to lack of working equipment.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back