Family travel- how essential is a roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_crossties1_*

I have traveled with our three daughters with tremendously positive results. They were great on the plane, in cramped quarters, for the 8 hour flights from Dallas to Portland, OR. This year, to trim costs nd give them a way to see a different perspective, I am looking at going by Amtrak. As a child I took the ride from Indianapolis to Portland and loved it. I slept on the coach chairs and snacked out of my suitcase and spent lots of time reading. My girls are 8-13 years old, and I figured they would do fine with the same arrangement, butnow I am having second thoughts.

The roomettes seem so small, I didn't think the extra cost would be justified. But I am sure that things have changed over the past 25 years :rolleyes: I know nearly nothing about the trip over, except that we will take about 3 days. The trip back requires a 17 hour layover in LA, which hasn't made me particularly happy.

Can someone tell me what to expect regarding seating? (expect a full car or open seats? room for stretching or squished legs? etc) especially on the Texas Eagle.

On the Texas Eagle, How often should I be able to expect to take them out and stretch their legs? How can I find out about layover time before I actually purchase the tickets?

Is LA Union station a place we an hang out, find a quiet spot (for the layover) or do I need to also book a room for the night (train arrive at 9:00 PM, leave at 2:30 next afternoon.)

I probably sound very stingy, but I am wondering if my costs are going to come up to be equal or even more if we take the train. Just want to be aware of what I am getting into.

A roomette for you and your two daughters would be very tight. I don't know if it would be permitted.

If the kids can sit in coach seats, at their age it may be more comfortable than a roomette, but a roomette

would give you more privacy and of course meals in the diner.

I don't know about the LA layover, but I would not want to sit in a train station from 9:00pm to 2:30pm the

following day. Somewhere on this board, there is a list of hotels near LA station.

I hope you have an enjoyable trip.

You would probably do better with a family bedroom. I wouldn't put more than two in a roomette unless the third was a lap child.

You may also want to check into making an AGR redemption. You can buy points through AGR and Starwood. It may be cheaper to buy the points than what it would cost to purchase the tickets outright.

Coach seating on Amtrak can not be compared to coach seating on a plane. If anything, compare it to business class seats on an international flight for room! :) Although they (at their age) may be agreeable to riding coach for that length, you may not. I am not old (49) and I can do 1 night in coach, but 2 nights in coach is pushing it - and 3 nights is really pushing it!

If you do get roomettes, I would recommend calling (not reserving online) and ask for 2 across the hall from each other - or at least in the same car! Otherwise, you may get (for example) room 2 in car 1 and room 14 in car 2!

With a roomette, you also get 3 meals a day per person, a horizontal bed to sleep on and privacy when you want it. You also get use of the shower. (In coach, you do not have a shower.) You also get to use the Metropolitan Lounge in Portland.

When booking the Texas Eagle, you can either book train #2 and train #422, or train #422 all the way. I would recommend booking #422 all the way - especially with a sleeper. Otherwise you will need to wait in the station at San Antonio all night long, and can not board until like 6:30 AM. If you booked #422 all the way, you could sleep in your seat or room all during the stop.

Although LA Union Station is open all night, I would much rather have a hotel. The Metro Plaza is a short 5 minute walk from Union Station. Although it's not the Ritz, it's not a dump either. In fact, Amtrak crews stay there, I believe.

The Texas Eagle has Superliner equipment, so you have two options-the family bedroom, or two roomettes. You could of course opt for coach. Just realize that you may not all end up sitting together. With the sleeper option, you not only get the meals free, but there's a shower nearby, and juices, bottled water & coffee are provided in the sleeper for free. The family bedroom can be pricey-but the roomettes are pretty small which may be ok for the smaller girls, but you & the 13 year old may want more space. You are free to walk thru out the train, except the sleepers/transdorm if you are in coach.

Welcome to the board! Enjoy your trip! Don't forget to sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards on amtrak.com too.

It really depends on what price point you are getting the rooms at. Let me give you an example. The low bucket price for a roomette from Chicago to Washington is $124. I often go with my girlfriend. Now, first of all, if coach is at high bucket and roomettes are at low bucket, going roomette is monetarily cheaper- $320 vs. $294 - because going sleeper resets railfare to the lowest bucket price.

But secondarily, lets factor in the price of meals. Now, I know you are probably not as food centered as I am, but whether coach or sleeper, I eat three meals a day on Amtrak. Now, lets figure dinner at $26.50 (Steak- $22.50, soda $2.00, dessert $2.00), lunch at $13 (Special $9, soda $2, dessert $2), and breakfast at $11 (Omelette $9 + Bacon = $2). That means that per person, meal expenses are $50.50 per day. With the two people in our party, that means that meals come to $101 a day. The roomette is $124, as I mentioned, and includes meals for two people. That means the price of laying down on a bed between Chicago and Washington, for me, is $23. If you can find a private bed cheaper then that in either terminal city, I'd like to hear about it!

Won't Amtrak allow a parent and two children to ride in a Roomette? Or am I completely pulling that out of thin air?

I've been to the LA Union station and can say it is quite nice, very clean with several sitting areas and nice little cafe's.

Sorry... I see now you have 3 daughters.. mis-read that. The question still stands though for other people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to jump in here about LA's Union Station. Once I arrived at 10am and was there until the chief left at 6:45pm. It gets very boring there for an adult, I cannot imagine having a child there for that long or longer.

While it seems safe enough in the station during the day, I have encountered some rather strange people out in the smoking areas who I would hate to see in the station, especially at night.

If it were me, I would get a hotel room for the amount of time you would be there. This would add cost on to your train trip.

Unless your two youngest are small enough for the "child-size" beds in the Family Bedroom, I would recommend two Roomettes. A Roomette is not very large but it is fine for two and you have privacy, use of the shower, and free meals. As previously advised, make sure they are (at least) in the same car, if not adjacent or across from each other. Three nights in coach would not be fun at all and you would have to buy food or bring along a lot of granola bars.

Unless your two youngest are small enough for the "child-size" beds in the Family Bedroom, I would recommend two Roomettes. A Roomette is not very large but it is fine for two and you have privacy, use of the shower, and free meals. As previously advised, make sure they are (at least) in the same car, if not adjacent or across from each other. Three nights in coach would not be fun at all and you would have to buy food or bring along a lot of granola bars.
Hmm.. I wouldn't really agree with this. If i was traveling with 3 young girls I would want to be able to stay in the same room with them. Especially if it was for multiple nights. The Family bedroom is much larger... it is actually the entire width of the car which means you get windows on both side of the train. Also.. there is more then enough room during the day to stretch out within the room.

I would think that even some 13 year olds would fit comfortably in a child size berth but certainly most 8-10 year olds would! If you can afford a family bedroom on the Eagle you would most enjoy it.

Hi,

Travel by Amtrak is great value in coach seats, but once you take any extra rooms, the price often becomes eyewatering.

I live in the UK, but have experienced a 10, 000 mile round USA rail trip with my son, then aged 13.

We tried both coach seats, and roomettes, both were fine for us, but roomettes have pretty much zero floorspace in the sleeping mode.

Coach seats are massive, they have a huge amount of leg room, and they recline some what, so it is easy to imagine kids curling up under a blanket and

sleeping.

As a foreigner, I enjoy coach travel for the mix of people one meets.

One can walk up and down the train, so it means that you can stretch your legs while aboard, and they have a lounge car where you can sit and observe the

passing scenery. Apart from changing trains, you cannot be sure of station stops to get off and exercise, most stops are just a few minutes.

Because you can move around within the train, it is easier to take exercise than you might imagine.

I have seen families traveling in coach, by taking 4 or 5 seats, they are able to create a sort of "campsite on wheels" for the duration of the trip.

By traveling in coach, and splashing out on a hotel for your layover, I feel that you would have the best combination of economy with comfort.

You might consider going via Chicago and then the Empire Builder to Portland.. for a layover Chicago seems an interesting place to visit, and to add to the

adventure, you could stay in the Chicago youth hostel.

Bon Voyage,

Ed :cool:

P. S. You can try a "pretend" booking on amtrak .com, this will show you the options, and the prices, without having to pay. There is a tab also which gives each train full timetable, so you can read the station stop timings, but be warned, late running often means a shorter stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know the behavior and maturity of your daughters - perhaps two of them would be fine in a separate room. This sounds like an expensive undertaking - maybe you would arrange to go coach one of the nights of the journey to economize. But, please do not, as others have said, consider camping out in Union Station overnight for that length of time. Union Station is an attractive place, but some of the clientele certainly leaves something to be desired. Please, spring for a hotel! I hope you have a great trip, but please heed our advice!

I've never been in a family bedroom, but would it be practical to take the short mattresses & put them on the floor to sleep for those who are taller than 4'?

I think some sort of sleeper would be the best. The included meals alone would make up for the cost.

Now, lets figure dinner at $26.50 (Steak- $22.50, soda $2.00, dessert $2.00), lunch at $13 (Special $9, soda $2, dessert $2), and breakfast at $11 (Omelette $9 + Bacon = $2). That means that per person, meal expenses are $50.50 per day.
GML's food estimate is very accurate and reasonable. Yes, you could bring your own food, but how big (or many) cooler(s) would you have to bring? How will you keep the food cold for several days? Will it be worth the hassle?

Here is the perfect solution. Call Amtrak and book two adjoining bedrooms. They have a door in between that can open. You will then have the most spacious room on the train and have four full size bunks beds and two bathrooms. Although we have never booked this way, I understand that if you are a family with children you can get the second room for much less money. This way you will be together with your family at all times. If you travel in coach your little girls won't be able to sit with you but in front, back or to the side. I feel that your little girls will be happiest sleeping in a bed in the evening and the double bedroom will have two bathrooms at your disposal. If you can afford it, spend the extra $$$$. Everyone will be happier, including you!

Here is the perfect solution. Call Amtrak and book two adjoining bedrooms. They have a door in between that can open. You will then have the most spacious room on the train and have four full size bunks beds and two bathrooms. Although we have never booked this way, I understand that if you are a family with children you can get the second room for much less money. This way you will be together with your family at all times. If you travel in coach your little girls won't be able to sit with you but in front, back or to the side. I feel that your little girls will be happiest sleeping in a bed in the evening and the double bedroom will have two bathrooms at your disposal. If you can afford it, spend the extra $$$$. Everyone will be happier, including you!
[sarcasm]No wait, here is the perfect solution. Just book the entire car. This way everybody has as much room as they want.[/sarcasm]

Come on now, the OP is talking about saving money and you suggest two bedrooms.

Aloha

Regarding the overnight in LA.

Considering the number of AU members that have given the Metro Plaza, within sight of Union Station, I would stay there. But If you are comfortable anywhere spending that much time in a station then I would not worry about LAUS. There is enough security and traffic that you would be fine. The bad part about that much waiting in the station, are food and other activity options. Outside the station late at night though, is risky, from maybe 10:00pm to 5:00am, the neighborhood is less than good.

My age showing through again, but I rememer the old coach cars on the Canadian rails had seats that you could swivel, such that they faced each other. It meant giving up leg room, but it was perfect for a bridge game! :lol: Don't the coach seats do this anymore?

My age showing through again, but I rememer the old coach cars on the Canadian rails had seats that you could swivel, such that they faced each other. It meant giving up leg room, but it was perfect for a bridge game! :lol: Don't the coach seats do this anymore?
Saw this done by a family on the Lincoln Service last summer between STL & CHI. Really ticked off the conductor who told them not to ever do it again but they could stay that way to CHI. Seats become so close you have to straddle each others legs.

Saw this done by a family on the Lincoln Service last summer between STL & CHI. Really ticked off the conductor who told them not to ever do it again but they could stay that way to CHI. Seats become so close you have to straddle each others legs.
But if the family's the only group occupying the four seats, why would the conductor care? Are any other seats being inconvenienced? Also, I would think everybody else would be happier that the family was "self-contained" and not climbing over the backs of seats, shouting at each other, etc. What am I missing here?

But if the family's the only group occupying the four seats, why would the conductor care? Are any other seats being inconvenienced? Also, I would think everybody else would be happier that the family was "self-contained" and not climbing over the backs of seats, shouting at each other, etc. What am I missing here?
I could be wrong, but I think it was because the staff would have turn the seats around again after the family departed. I first thought it was a safety issue but the more he talked to them I got the impression it was more nuisance then safety that concerned him.

I have noticed seat turning concerns seem to vary by crew. It doesn't take much to turn the seat provided the mechanism isn't damaged-step on the pedal, pull the seat slightly into the aisle and turn it until it locks. Of course be sure to ask the Conductor and for that matter those seated nearby before you do. Some Conductors will not mind whereas others may read you the riot act.

While it seems safe enough in the station during the day, I have encountered some rather strange people out in the smoking areas who I would hate to see in the station, especially at night.

If it were me, I would get a hotel room for the amount of time you would be there. This would add cost on to your train trip.

Living around L.A., there are possibilites. Since the Metro Rail and the Metro Link are at Union Station, one could take a day trip to museums or Hollywood, or to Universal Studios. A round trip on the Metro Rail is $5/person. You can go anywhere in the system for that money.

Be aware the M.R. and the M.L. are separate entities. The M.R. is the local trains that go to Long Beach, Pasadena, etc. The M.L. goes more around the county.

Food for thought. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back