Favorite 'short distance' service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which train?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Downeaster! I think their BC is one of the best values on Amtrak, and its only $24 to ride up to Portland, ME from Boston. It's a great little train. I can't wait until it goes farther North, hopefully up to Brunswick, Maine sometime soon.

No love for the Michigan trains? We've got the only substantial Amtrak-owned track outside the northeast, and a long tradition of state-support despite Detroit's reputation.

:hi: I voted for the Adirondack since Ive yet to ride the Downeaster! The Missouri River Runner and the Cascade Trains are pretty sweet also as are the Cali Surfliners from Santa Barbara to San Diego, especially when Patrick's Dome is in the consist! :wub: Tough choice but the water along the Adirondack route gives it an overall edge IMO, especially in the Summer and the fall when Patrick's Dome is loaned to the East!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Acela First Class is unaffordable.
angry.gif

I occasionally take the Acela but on some weekdays the price is 3-4x what the NE regional costs. I just watch the fares and decide what fits the budget. Lately I have favored the regionals as the fares are reasonable and time savings on the Acela to DC can be only 5-10 minutes.

angry.gif
That's why its first class, exclusivity has it's perks.

This list is a pretty long one, I see plenty of medium distance trains and corridor services... The piedmont always appealed to me.
I figured someone would pick up on the point that it's "First Class". :lol: FC is affordable on AGR points! :giggle: :cool: Nothing wrong with free travel! :cool:

angry.gif

This list is a pretty long one, I see plenty of medium distance trains and corridor services... The piedmont always appealed to me.
LOL I know. But it would be nice to ride it someday. I hope the meals are free with the money I have to pay.

Another vote for Michigan trains. The stretch from Porter IN to Kalamazoo MI is Amtrak owned and speeds of 95 are smooth and I have no problem with that. The support of the state with their 403b trains is fantastic. It is too bad that the NS let the east end of the old Michigan Central go down the drain.

I occasionally take the Acela but on some weekdays the price is 3-4x what the NE regional costs. I just watch the fares and decide what fits the budget. Lately I have favored the regionals as the fares are reasonable and time savings on the Acela to DC can be only 5-10 minutes.
I have seen some days when AE is actually LESS than a Regional!
blink.gif

My favorite service is from my door of my house to the door of any train!
mosking.gif

No love for the much-maligned San Joaquins... Four trips daily from me to the Bay Area, a smooth, reliable 79MPH ride, and business class seating for the price of coach, plus bike racks? I'll take it!

I'll place my vote for the Wolverine, even though it's not as easily accessed in my case. I like it because I know that at my endpoint of ARB, I'm gonna have fun before having more fun on my return train toward CHI.

Too bad there wont be any direct route from LA to Bakersfield any time soon.
This is why TRAC is pushing the HSRA to build BFD-Palmdale next. If we could just get those tracks done, we could have a one-seat ride LA-SF via the central valley. Of course, that would make way too much sense for California's government...

angry.gif

LOL I know. But it would be nice to ride it someday. I hope the meals are free with the money I have to pay.
If you are on there for more than an hour, then yes. Don't expect a meal for a trip from BWI to WAS... First Class perks include nice gourmet meals, nuts, free alcohol or soft drinks, news paper, ect, ect.

I picked the Lincoln service since that is what I ride most often. I appreciate added frequencies since 2006. And it is mow in process of being first link in the Midwest hsr plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back