Favorite 'short distance' service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which train?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Acela First Class is unaffordable.
angry.gif
That's why its first class, exclusivity has it's perks.

This list is a pretty long one, I see plenty of medium distance trains and corridor services... The piedmont always appealed to me.
LOL I know. But it would be nice to ride it someday. I hope the meals are free with the money I have to pay.
If you are on there for more than an hour, then yes. Don't expect a meal for a trip from BWI to WAS... First Class perks include nice gourmet meals, nuts, free alcohol or soft drinks, news paper, ect, ect.
The meals, service, and perks are the best part IMO. :D

Hoosier State, has very little in the way of amenities. But you never now what you'll find in the consist. Freshly out shopped from Beech Grove P40's or 42's occasional P32's. Superliner, Amfleet, Heritage, Horizon. Or the opposite totally trashed equipment heading back in for overhaul. When rest of the anniversary P42's hit the rails, you'll see them on the Hoosier State first.

Hoosier State, has very little in the way of amenities. But you never now what you'll find in the consist. Freshly out shopped from Beech Grove P40's or 42's occasional P32's. Superliner, Amfleet, Heritage, Horizon. Or the opposite totally trashed equipment heading back in for overhaul. When rest of the anniversary P42's hit the rails, you'll see them on the Hoosier State first.
Don;t forget the Dome Car on its fall outing through the smoky mountains.

Acela. It's a lousy link for me (I'm in southern VA and it terminates in DC), but the times I've been on it I've had an excellent experience.

Enjoy the Northeast Regional- but like the Acela even more. In our experience both have offered very good service and amenities.

Mine would be the Illinois Zephyr. Mainly because that was the train that took me to my Grandparents.

Illinois Zephyr has saved a couple of my excursions from a missed Chicago connection due to a late California Zephyr. It is fantastic Illinois supports rail as well as it does. :hi: And that I have that option to drop down to Galesburg, Il. Obviously there are more scenic short distance routes out there, but I have to be able to get there in the first place! Good ol reliable #380 gets my vote. 2 x 1 faux leather business class seating. Relax, connection made! :cool:

Illinois Zephyr has saved a couple of my excursions from a missed Chicago connection due to a late California Zephyr. It is fantastic Illinois supports rail as well as it does. :hi: And that I have that option to drop down to Galesburg, Il. Obviously there are more scenic short distance routes out there, but I have to be able to get there in the first place! Good ol reliable #380 gets my vote. 2 x 1 faux leather business class seating. Relax, connection made! :cool:

Being from the East, the farmland was always good a good view for me, beat pine trees. My Grandparents' farm could be seen from the train about 10 minutes east (Hollowayville, IL, pop. 90...SALUUUTE) of the Princeton stop. Back in the day I would enjoy seeing all of the CB&Q, then BN E-Units, laying over in Aurora.

In the early days of Amtrak the IZ saw numerous consists, CNW gallery cars, GN Blue Sky coaches, former CB&Q equipment and even superliners for a short stint. One of my better memories on the IZ was a Nun teaching me how to play poker.

Being from the East, the farmland was always good a good view for me, beat pine trees. My Grandparents' farm could be seen from the train about 10 minutes east (Hollowayville, IL, pop. 90...SALUUUTE) of the Princeton stop. Back in the day I would enjoy seeing all of the CB&Q, then BN E-Units, laying over in Aurora.

In the early days of Amtrak the IZ saw numerous consists, CNW gallery cars, GN Blue Sky coaches, former CB&Q equipment and even superliners for a short stint. One of my better memories on the IZ was a Nun teaching me how to play poker.
CNW....sniff sniff. My hometown of CR Iowa is what it is today BECAUSE of the railroads. Today many complain about them because they have to wait five minutes for one to switch or just pass through. In my childhood, CR was served by six major railroads and a couple shortlines. I feel grateful to have burned to memory many a passing train that are now fallen flags.

I had to go with the DOWNEASTER here in this poll. I suspect the Adirondack would get my vote if I ever had the chance to ride on that (hopefully this fall with the dome on it!!!)... but since I have never been on it... I'll go for the Downeaster.

I have done the DOWNEASTER twice and had a great time both times. I took it to Portland with a fellow AU member and we had a fun day walking around the city. Then, last September I took it to Old Orchard Beach and had a blast there... the station is 2 blocks away from the pier... fun time sitting on the beach and people watching and splashing in the water. :)

ACELA is nice and I enjoy riding it whenever I'm in the NEC... but I agree it's quite pricey (a great way to use a Select Plus voucher though) and the food doesn't seem that good on there - except for breakfast. However, I often feel a fish out of water sitting in First Class in a t-shirt and shorts with my GPS... while everyone else has their nose buried in their newspaper or work.

The Hoosier State/Cardinal doesn't go anywhere near NC - where the Smoky Mountains are!
laugh.gif

The Hoosier State/Cardinal doesn't go anywhere near NC - where the Smoky Mountains are!
laugh.gif
Yeah, Blue Ridge Mountain and Appalachian Plateau would be more appropriate, at least as far as the Cardinal is concerned. The Hoosier State does not get anywhere near any of that though.

IMHO its main claim to fame is that it has probably the best rail to auto times outside the NEC (other than the Hiawathas, which make almost no stops).

QCY to CHI: 4:28 by rail vs. 5:01 by auto (Google).

For comparison

LAX to SAN: 2:40 to 2:50 by rail vs. 2:01 by auto

SEA to PDX: 3:30 by Cascades vs. 2:55 by auto.

CHI TO MKE: 1:29 vs. 1:49

Also, 380, 381, 382, and 383 are as you say very reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back