First refunds, now baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the first inclination to any change is to complain but really, I'm skeptical that 95% of people need more than 2 full size suitcases and 1 carry on for their trip. The updated policy seems very fair.
I realize that to you this change is of no concern, but that's exactly how it started with the airlines as well. A reasonably sounding limit was eventually replaced with a slightly less reasonable limit and on and on until finally every single bag came with a charge.

The refund policy hasn't changed, it's finally being enforced as written.
Where was it previously written that refunds for sleeper tickets require fifteen days advance notice prior to departure?

Texas Sunset .

The chipping away at bags

And the chipping away of rights by TSA .

Sounds like a pattern to me

Ill bet legroom goes next !

I understand the first inclination to any change is to complain but really, I'm skeptical that 95% of people need more than 2 full size suitcases and 1 carry on for their trip.
Perhaps, but to those whom for Years relied on those relaxed bag limits Its gonna be a shocker !.

I have Yet to hear of a full bag car .

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the first inclination to any change is to complain but really, I'm skeptical that 95% of people need more than 2 full size suitcases and 1 carry on for their trip. The updated policy seems very fair.

Good point! My policy when I travel by common carrier is to limit what I need to 2 carry ons and in the case of Amtrak, perhaps an additional very small "snack sack" that will diminish as the trip progresses. I do not like to be held hostage by luggage and want to be able to comfortably carry everything without assistance.

Where was it previously written that refunds for sleeper tickets require fifteen days advance notice prior to departure?
And that Acela Business Class and reserved coach reservations require 24 hour notice prior to departure.

I'm sure Amtrak thinks it is just enforcing a previously unenforced policy as well, but enough other stuff has changed to make that position invalid.

I sit corrected on that, as well as the stipulations PRR 60 mentioned.

Peter KG6LSE, I agree those who have benefited from the "old" baggage policy will have some "sticker shock", but again I wonder what percentage of passangers that is? If only 10-50% of available baggage car space is used I'd hope Amtrak would look at replacing that dead non-revenue space with a coach/baggage.

I have Yet to hear of a full bag car .
That is what I wonder about. If the baggage cars weren't full why did they decrease the max from 6 to 4? They could just charge the $20/each for bags 5 and 6 and bring in more revenue.

Baggage isn't the only thing they've altered. They also now have a blanket ban on knives, except sheathed in checked baggage. :angry2: It seems Amtrak was the last sane holdout aside from intercity buses.
Needing to bring knives doesn't seem like the sanest thing to me :lol:

Baggage isn't the only thing they've altered. They also now have a blanket ban on knives, except sheathed in checked baggage. :angry2: It seems Amtrak was the last sane holdout aside from intercity buses.
But my daughter -- one of the reasons she takes the train is she can have knitting needles on the train. To pass the time.

Where she works knives over 5 inches are considered to be weapons -- shorter are tools and exempt. That's US Navy policy.

When I fly I (obviously) don't carry any sharp instrument. But a paring knife is useful on many voyages.

Without a knife how would one eat ones brownbagged steak from Morton's Steakhouse? :lol:

Without a knife how would one eat ones brownbagged steak from Morton's Steakhouse? :lol:
Yeah - them some really tough steaks

Leatherman is kind of what I was thinking of too. It could be infinitely useful. But the new policy if enforced would block people from having them at their end destination entirely when using corridor trains. Now admittedly, Amtrak doesn't have metal detectors (yet) and even the random bag inspections don't inspect the person but that doesn't mean if someone sees your TOOL, you won't be watching your train's markers from a police car at a grade crossing.

VentureForth said:
1344517377[/url]' post='386000']
the_traveler said:
1344477469[/url]' post='385931']It's getting more like the airlines!
mad.gif
At least you get 2 bags free, not $25 (or whatever it is) for the first bag!
mad.gif
And I don't like going from 6 bags down to 4 bags - it makes moving harder!
I swear - some of the points brought up here are flat out silly. the_traveller, I know you like to use Amtrak a lot. I know you like to travel. But if you are moving frequently and using Amtrak for your moves, I still think you'll find a bargain in their new policy vs what everyone else charges to move your stuff - even the cheapest U Haul trailer....

So long as they can remain competitive, I'm all for revenue generation - especially when it comes to value-added options. I used to love checking just a small duffle bag on an airline because then I could roam around the airport unencumbered. But now, I travel with a carry on only - even if the company is paying for the trip - because the fees are ridiculous and I can manage without the service.

Adapt, or choose to pay.
I don't move a lot at all!
mad.gif
But I know some do use Amtrak to move. I was maybe thinking of moving this fall, but it's hard to move much with a limit of 4 bags only!

And every time I've seen the inside of a baggage car or even a bag/coach, it's been mostly empty! Now, I think it will be more empty.

As far as your "U-Haul" comment, I don't think you can check them on Amtrak! As far as I know, you or someone else has to drive it. I (and many others) do not drive. And I'm sure if you poll other AU members, you'll find more than a few who do not drive either.
excl.gif

Two bags per person (plus a purse/laptop) is still extremely generous. I think they're mostly trying to dissuade people from moving via Amtrak. I honestly cannot imagine a trip that would require us to bring more than four suitcases.

Everyone complains about Amtrak losing money day in and day out. Asking those people who are basically trying to avoid shipping fees to pay a $20 baggage fee for two additional bags isn't a big deal, and it's still cheaper than sending those bags through UPS/etc.

I don't see this as a "gateway" to the TSA or anything of the sort. I honestly think the issue is people who abuse the system (especially since they added the clause about "no plastic totes") and Amtrak trying to recoup some lost revenue. This is one of the easiest ways to do it since raising ticket prices and food prices would cause everyone to freak out. I don't think quite as many people are going to freak out about not being able to bring a third suitcase on a trip.

but that doesn't mean if someone sees your TOOL, you won't be watching your train's markers from a police car at a grade crossing.
Must ... resist ... snarky ... off-color ... comment... :giggle:

Even funnier!

Seriously, though, I'm with Sorcha in that how many people really check that many bags? I can't see this affecting many people except those using Amtrak to move.

Two bags per person (plus a purse/laptop) is still extremely generous. I think they're mostly trying to dissuade people from moving via Amtrak. I honestly cannot imagine a trip that would require us to bring more than four suitcases.

Everyone complains about Amtrak losing money day in and day out. Asking those people who are basically trying to avoid shipping fees to pay a $20 baggage fee for two additional bags isn't a big deal, and it's still cheaper than sending those bags through UPS/etc.

I don't see this as a "gateway" to the TSA or anything of the sort. I honestly think the issue is people who abuse the system (especially since they added the clause about "no plastic totes") and Amtrak trying to recoup some lost revenue. This is one of the easiest ways to do it since raising ticket prices and food prices would cause everyone to freak out. I don't think quite as many people are going to freak out about not being able to bring a third suitcase on a trip.
Bang on.

I sit corrected on that, as well as the stipulations PRR 60 mentioned.

Peter KG6LSE, I agree those who have benefited from the "old" baggage policy will have some "sticker shock", but again I wonder what percentage of passangers that is? If only 10-50% of available baggage car space is used I'd hope Amtrak would look at replacing that dead non-revenue space with a coach/baggage.
I tend to agree here. Granted, on most trains it's going to be a bag-dorm instead (since those with checked baggage are often also LD overnight trains), but I agree. As I mentioned in my earlier post...if they're going to do this, they should at least look at altering the Viewliner II order to swap out 10-20 baggage cars for bag-dorms.

I don't get the point about the knive. Like others said, a leatherman (or in my case a swiss army knive) can be sometimes be really helpfull: fixing things, cut an apple into two, open a bottle and so on... not everyone who has a knive will use it as a weapon!

I don't get the point about the knive. Like others said, a leatherman (or in my case a swiss army knive) can be sometimes be really helpfull: fixing things, cut an apple into two, open a bottle and so on... not everyone who has a knive will use it as a weapon!
Maybe knife owners just need to form another no-compromise political hatchet group like today's NRA and we'll finally get our multi-functional pocket tools back. Plus the option of carrying axes, machetes, flails, and morning stars for when the apple decides to fight back.

Last edited by a moderator:
They might be trying to crack down on frivolous lawsuits with luggage. Someone checks a $10 rubbermaid container from wally world and it gets damaged,broken during the trip and they sue amtrak for damaging their luggage.

Maybe knife owners just need to form another no-compromise political hatchet group like today's NRA and we'll finally get our multi-functional pocket tools back. Plus the option of carrying axes, machetes, flails, and morning stars for when the apple decides to fight back.
Well to me a pocket knive is not a weapon. But different country, different laws :)

Is this rule already in effect or will it come also on the 10th of september?

since the terrorist attacks of 9/11 you haven't been able to carry a pocket knife or multi-tool onto an airplane. i believe the terrorists carried on box cutters. evidently this policy is being extended to amtrak. i don't think many of us think it will be a particularly effective preventive measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back