first time train rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maricela

I need the run down on this whole train ticket purchasing its my first ever train ride from Elkhart IN to Pasco WA and I don't get any of these rules and stuff please help

I'm sure you will get lots of responses here. But, if all alse fails, don't be afraid to call Amtrak and make your reservation over the phone.

Well I need to know from buying a ticket to what I can take on the train and what does it mean when it has that luggage symbol with a red X on it ? Can I still take luggage on that train or I can't

You can "carry on" luggage, but you can not check your luggage to your destination from your origination point. Trains have MUCH larger luggage storage areas at your seat (or inside the car) than do planes!

As far as buying your ticket, chose the type of accommodation you want (coach seat, roomette, bedroom, etc...) for each train and then chose the trains you want.

You can buy a ticket online, or you can call 1-800-872-7245 (1-800-USA-RAIL). You can also go to any Amtrak station.

If traveling by coach, you will see folks on the long distance trains with coolers and picnic bags full of food. What you do for food depends on your budget. The options are:

• Personal food is allowed, but there is no refrigeration available for you and they will not heat stuff for you. You are basically "on your own" but this is the cheapest option.
  • There is a "cafe car" where you can buy the same sorts of things you would get in a convenience store. National cafe car menu here. You may still want to bring you own large container of water.
  • There is a dining car, where you can buy full meals. Empire Builder dining car menu is here.
  • If you travel by sleeper (roomette or bedroom), meals in the dining car are included in the fare.
You can find out more information on the Empire Builder page. You will really enjoy the scenery! Do prepare for a later arrival in Pasco than scheduled. Even though they are changing the schedule to reflect the realities of on-time performance, freight traffic has been really heavy this winter, and the Empire Builder has been running late nearly every day. You can track your train on Amtrak Status Maps for a few days prior to your trip, to see how it's doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy a ticket online, or you can call 1-800-872-7245 (1-800-USA-RAIL). You can also go to any Amtrak station.
Not all Amtrak Stations are staffed, so may want to look at amtrak.com and see if that station you want to go is staffed, or or not.

-Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum App.

I have a luggage that ways less then 50 lbs but I can't carry it over my head to put it away is there any way I can just set it on the floor by or under my feet

I have a luggage that ways less then 50 lbs but I can't carry it over my head to put it away is there any way I can just set it on the floor by or under my feet

there is a luggage rack on the lower level of each coach which is not above your head. it sometimes will be full however. other passengers or staff would assist getting your bag into the rack above your seat if it will fit there. probably not room to put much under your feet

How big is the space above my head
800px-Amtrak_Superliner_Coach_Car_-_Coast_Starlight.JPG

Will chime in - since I'll be travelling on the EB I appreciated the menu listing - It's been a while since we had a sleeper --- and the dinner prices were high then, but seem higher now :)

I realize meals are included if you have a sleeper .. and drinks (not alcohol), but (can't remember) is dessert included -- it's an important food :)

For original poster - I think you'll enjoy the train - scenery is usually interesting. When we didn't have a sleeper we would walk to the lounge and sit and watch the scenery. There is generally a cafe (snack bar) that you can purchase items. I would also take a few of my favorite snacks. Even in coach I never had trouble with finding space for our bags in the lower level where you first come in. And, I keep a bag of (things I'll need - snacks, books,) to go on the floor between my seat & the one ahead.

Enjoy the trip.

I realize meals are included if you have a sleeper .. and drinks (not alcohol), but (can't remember) is dessert included -- it's an important food :)
Yes, dessert is included. You can even ask for it "to go" and take it back to your room.

I'm not saying that every passenger will, but if you're having trouble lifting you bag to put it in the rack, I'm certain others will help you. I'm a man, and have had many people assist me.
The luggage rack on the lower level of Superliners is just inside the entry door, and is very large (like 8-10 bags wide and double depth) and is 2 levels high!

Oh, I like the idea of dessert to go... sounds like a great late night snack :)

usually not. Have your ticket handy. You ma not even need that when getting on. Normally the conductor comes by after the train starts rolling and checks tickets. This may not be representative, but we have made a trip on the San Joaquin trains every month or so for the last several years and only had ID's checked once. Tickets have been checked every trip. The last few times we have done the reservation on line and gotten an email ticket which we have printed off. Nice thing about that is that you can print multiple copies if you want to..

I think you can only get ice cream in the dining car during the regular lunch and dinner hours. No ice cream sold in the cafe car for a late night snack. Cafe car typically closes the food purchasing counters at 11 pm local time

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Do I need ID when I board the train
I have had to show mine everytime (CZ). Either on the train after boarding at an unattended station - or at the station before boarding.

I've been getting my ID checked more often recently. It is a random process based off the computer scanner, versus the old method (which was based on the last digit of the ticket number) which was commonly skipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back