first time train rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I still use an expired ID or does it have to be non expired

I doubt they'll be looking at your id long enough to notice it's expired - unless it expired a considerably long time ago ;)

OK so whats the total baggage and or carry on baggages can I take on the train is it 6 totally I can take or am I way off

You've got it right. Details here: http://www.amtrak.com/baggage-policy

In summary, 2 carry on items, not to exceed 50 pounds and 28 x 22 x 14 inches.

Four checked bags (2 free, the second 2 @ $20/ea), also not to exceed 50 pounds or 75 linear inches.

In addition you're allowed to bring "personal items" on the train that don't count as baggage:

Personal Items

Small items needed for the duration of the trip may be carried on the train and will not count toward the carry-on baggage limit.

Required medical devices and medication

Pillows, blankets and outer garments

Coolers, purses or small bags no larger than 12” x 12” x 12”

Small electronic devices with protective cases
I doubt that will be a problem. Now if it was a photo drivers license issued in 1973, :)
It may be, depending on how closely Amtrak's policy is adhered to.

What is a Valid ID?

To be valid, your identification must be current and in-force. The following forms of identification are acceptable for persons 18 and older:

I have 2 big tote bags and a back pack that I want to bring with me will the to tote bags be considered duffle bags and I can't close them because they don't have any zippers will those be considered as duffle bags

That list is only a suggestion. Don't concentrate on "is it this or that". Generally, if you can carry it without a problem it will be allowed as carry-on. Especially if you have 3 small items instead of 2.

I doubt that will be a problem. Now if it was a photo drivers license issued in 1973, :)
I'd be careful with that advice. On an outbound from Houston last summer they refused to allow someone to pick up her ticket with an expired ID... on a return leg. :eek:

Total scene ensued...

I know never say never, but a little common sense should be used by employees. It's one thing to not accept a photo ID that's 30-40 years expired. It's another to not accept an ID that expired this week or this month,

But if we let people travel with IDs that expired last week, the Turrists win!...

I have 2 big tote bags and a back pack that I want to bring with me will the to tote bags be considered duffle bags and I can't close them because they don't have any zippers will those be considered as duffle bags
Marciela, if the tote bags are "purse-like", don't worry about the exact size. I carry a purse, small backpack, AND an open tote (as well as my rolling suitcase) on the train sometimes, and it's NEVER been questioned as a personal item, or too much. Refer back to the "if you can carry it" part...

I know never say never, but a little common sense should be used by employees. It's one thing to not accept a photo ID that's 30-40 years expired. It's another to not accept an ID that expired this week or this month,
Perhaps, but the policy is what the policy is. Will the ID be OK (if she's even asked for one, which isn't a given)? Maybe? Who knows? But she should be aware of what the policy is and that it may be strictly enforced.

Since consistency and adherence to published standards are my "thing" with respect to Amtrak (and pretty much everything else), I can't really advocate deviating from those rules when it makes our lives easier. If the rule is that onerous and lacking in common sense, it should be changed. But that'll never happen if it's never enforced.

Besides, you should always be prepared for the most strict enforcement- therefore you will likely be safe.

Showing ID on the CZ: IowaGirl said that she has had to show it every time when riding the CZ: Hmmm. We have ridden the CZ exactly twice, and did not have to show ID either time. The trip was Emeryville to Reno and back. In Reno where the train was about an hour late tickets were checked in the station. It appears that Reno is a crew change point, so they did it that way to save time. There was no check of tickets on the train, but the crew members we saw on the train were the same faces that were checking the tickets in the station.

OK thanks everyone one more question when I arrive in Chicago I'll have a 5 hour delay does anybody know any good places to go to in the mean time and does anyone know how much locker rentals are

If you have a sleeper either arriving into CHI or departing from CHI, you can use the metropolitan lounge (ML). Inside the ML is a day check room staffed by a Red Cap where you can leave your bags for no charge. (Tip appreciated but not required.)

Perhaps, but the policy is what the policy is.
I know what your saying, but if my ID expired on Wednesday and said that I'm David,, have brown eyes, am Y tall and was born on Z, chances are I'm still the same person on Friday - even though the ID is expired!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK thanks everyone one more question when I arrive in Chicago I'll have a 5 hour delay does anybody know any good places to go to in the mean time and does anyone know how much locker rentals are
So many good places to visit in Chicago. Search this forum. Too many to mention.

We need a dedicated thread for things to do in Chicago during layovers. Maybe there already is one in the other forum, but could use one pinned in the Amtrak Discussion forum since that's where most people come first looking for info.

OK sorry again but will they consider a backpack a duffle bag

OK sorry again but will they consider a backpack a duffle bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back