First trip in 4 days, MEM-CHI-ABQ, advice on what to expect?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My wife and I are leaving Wednesday (4 days from now) from Memphis to Chicago, then on the Southwest Chief to Albuquerque, with a return just under two weeks later. This is our first ever train trip like this. I've done a fair bit of reading but I'm still left with some questions and want to make sure we are as prepared as possible, so we can just relax and enjoy the trip as much as possible.

So I have a few questions that I haven't had addressed elsewhere, or would otherwise like current info if available. Any advice y'all experts have is greatly appreciated!

Itinerary: Depart Memphis 10:40PM Wednesday, arrive Chicago 9 AM Thursday, then depart Chicago 3 PM Thursday and arrive Albuquerque 4 PM Friday. We have a Superliner Roomette the whole trip.

1. What should we take on the train?
    Currently I will take a backpack and my wife wants to take one as well, and we expect to take a small rolling tote carry on that we will leave in the luggage area. Mine will have a book or two and a Surface tablet, notebook & pens, some headphones, small bag of our daily meds, and a portable battery for our phones. My wife will take an iPad and Kindle, some jewelry she wants to keep close, and a few other sundries. Will also have a small flashlight and some first aid items. Anything else I should take? (we expect to have the two backpacks in the room and likely leave the tote in the luggage area)
  2. What should we wear on the train?
    I've had a lot of trouble getting reliable info on the temperatures we should expect on the train, so we are kind of flying blind here. We can pack a change of clothes in the tote and some basic travel toiletries -- we actually expect to use baby wipes instead of a full shower. But I'm not sure what we should expect to wear on the train itself. Weather in Memphis and Chicago will both be low-mid 30s and windy, while Albuquerque will be 40 degrees warmer (!!) so I'm thinking jeans, t-shirt + pullover, and jacket + gloves for layering in Chicago (where we hope to stretch our legs and get a good Chicago pizza lunch) while still letting us be comfortable when we arrive in Albuquerque. Is there anything we should definitely take? We have a couple of travel blankets as well.
  3. What sightseeing should we definitely do on the Southwest Chief?
    I've read the observation car tends to fill up at interesting points -- we'd like to beat the crowd by knowing what is happening ahead of time and which side will give the best view! :) Any tips? Where can we find out the best things to ensure we see on the trip?
  4. How many stops are made on the Memphis-Chicago leg and on the Soutwest Chief?
    I've seen the brochures from Amtrak but I wasn't sure if every city listed is a stop? If so how long are the stops for? Will we have a chance to get off and walk around for a few minutes? How does it work? Will we be woken up during the night at each stop?
  5. CPAP - Problem?
    I have to use one at night. Will it be counted as a carry on? I've read elsewhere that it is manageable in a sleeper and it has a long hose so it should be fine anywhere, with only a small amount of water in it. But I'm wondering if there is anything I absolutely need to be aware of regarding it.
  6. Likelihood of arriving on time?
    I've read some people say the trains are almost always late, while others say they are almost always on time. Some say they are often delayed four hours or more, and at least one article I read said to never arrive and depart on the same day in order to avoid problems if we miss the connection. Our Chicago layover is supposedly six hours, and on the return it is about 4.5 hours, but not sure how realistic that is? We want to have a nasty Chicago pizza for lunch and then a ridiculous high-rise steak dinner on our return, are those realistic goals? Or can we have serious problems? (I'd be ok with downgrading to coach on the Chicago-Memphis return trip if necessary due to overnight delay, but not on the Southwest Chief, that would be ridiculous)
  7. What is the checkin and boarding process like?
    This is something I haven't found yet, so I'm wondering what to expect when we get in Memphis, how the process works, etc.
  8. Any recommendations for reliable long-term parking near the Memphis station?
    We still need to get parking near there and can't seem to find a good garage that will actually answer the phone which is a bit distressing.
Thanks again for any advice - y'all are great!

Forgot to add -- how does Amtrak policy deal with mini Leathermans and the like? I have a 3" folding knife similar to this Kershaw that I would love to take, but it looks like that is forbidden. They do say "Scissors, nail clippers, corkscrews, and razors are allowed in carry-on baggage." I have a Leatherman Micra that I'd like to take -- will that be accepted? The blade is 1.6" long, so its basically good for cutting a stray string off and that's really it.

I have a full-size Leatherman I'd be happy to take if possible, since some comments (e.g. here) say it is perfectly fine. Is that an issue in 2016?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can answer some of your questions - others will be sure to chime in. I think you are getting a little too worked up over too many details. Parking is important - can't help you with that in Memphis. Since this is still winter, be prepared for cold weather, so bring a coat with you on the train. You can check some of your baggage if you wish from your stations in the baggage car. I use my CPAP in roomettes and have also used them in coach. If I am using it in the lower bunk, which I usually prefer, bring an extension cord, as the outlet is above your pillow and I usually place the machine on the step. Also, since there is only one outlet, a multiple plug or power strip. If you want to bring a travel blanket, not a bad idea, as Amtrak's are pretty thin. If it was me, I would take advantage of the shower, which I have used many times on trains, which usually, but not always, work OK. Soap and towels are supplied, but not shampoo. If you are leery of showering while in motion, time your shower to a place where the train will be stopped for several minutes or more. ( Fort Madison - brief, Kansas City, longer stop, Dodge City, a crew change point, and La Junta, a crew change point. ) Your car attendant should be able to make suggestions. The most interesting scenery on the Southwest Chief is between Trinidad, Colorado and Lamy, NM. Either side of the lounge car is good. It is moderately spectacular - I like the section after Raton rolling down high plains with distant mountains and the canyon descending into Lamy, which looks like something out of a movie set. But take in the less spectacular " boring " views. I like it when awakening to dawn on the Kansas prairie.

The timetable lists all of the station stops. Some handle considerable amounts of passengers and others just a handful or less, and the stop may be very brief. Some of the locations I mentioned above are places where you can usually step off the train, to which I will add Raton. You will not be awakened in the middle of the night unless there is some emergency. Normally announcements are not made after 10pm. I last rode the train through Memphis in 1984 from Jackson to Chicago, so can't give you much information on that train. It had a dome car and a Slumbercoach at that time. I live on the route of the SWC, which I have ridden on many times. You have undoubtedly read about the cuts in the quality of the service. If the trip goes reasonably well, you should enjoy yourselves. Be nice to the staff on the train and most of them are great people. I have encountered occasional lemons. The food is usually passable to good, but I find it rather boring cuisine.

There may be some occasions when the head end power will be turned off for brief periods and that will knock off your CPAP. A little annoying, but I have never had that be a major problem on the train.

The SWC is often on or close to schedule, although in the past year has not done so well, with some whoppers of delays. I cancelled a trip on Nov 30 Flagstaff to LA this past November and flew. I would not be too concerned about your connection in this case. Enjoy your trip. Let us know how it goes!

It is moderately spectacular...
This word pairing had me in stitches. :lol:

What should we take on the train?
This topic could easily be its own thread or even a book. I'd suggest doing a search for previous threads as there are dozens if not hundreds of suggestions, some of which have rather interesting reasoning and curious histories.

What should we wear on the train? I've had a lot of trouble getting reliable info on the temperatures we should expect on the train, so we are kind of flying blind here.
There is no such thing as a reliable temperature on Amtrak. Even in 2016 Amtrak still doesn't employ solid state thermostats on their passenger rail cars. In my experience in the middle of summer it will typically be freezing on Amtrak while in the dead of winter it will often be sweltering, but there is really no way to know in advance and no guarantee it can be adjusted once you're aboard. There are some levers and knobs in the sleeper compartments but about half the time they don't seem to have much if any affect.

Likelihood of arriving on time? I've read some people say the trains are almost always late, while others say they are almost always on time. Some say they are often delayed four hours or more, and at least one article I read said to never arrive and depart on the same day in order to avoid problems if we miss the connection. Our Chicago layover is supposedly six hours, and on the return it is about 4.5 hours, but not sure how realistic that is? We want to have a nasty Chicago pizza for lunch and then a ridiculous high-rise steak dinner on our return, are those realistic goals? Or can we have serious problems? (I'd be ok with downgrading to coach on the Chicago-Memphis return trip if necessary due to overnight delay, but not on the Southwest Chief, that would be ridiculous)
There is really no way to know in advance if your train will be on time. Not even Amtrak knows. While your goals are nominally realistic they're also beyond anyone's ability to accurately predict. If it were me I'd schedule Chicago to be its own stopover. Partly because Amtrak's LD network isn't that dependable and also because I can only handle so much continuous travel at once.

Two backpacks may be OK I like I plus a shopping bag, seems to fit better. Easy to leave the other backpack in the baggage area of the car. Be sure to bring a power strip as was mentioned. Enjoy your trip!

Welcome to AU! Nice trip!

The information you requested is pretty much answered by greatcats and the others.

A few tips and answers:

1) Memphis Police use the Parking lot by Union Station so its safe and its first come/first served/ Check with the Amtrak Agent upon arrival @ the Station as to whether they issue parking passes for long term parking( ???)

2) Breakfast is Continental only on the way into Chicago and Dinner out of Chicago on the way back to Memphis has a Limited Heat and Eat Menu as the CONO now has no chef.

3) Read the threads on what to do/where to eat in Chicago during your Layovers/ remember you are able to use the Metro Lounge in Union Station which includes being able to day check your stuff in the Luggage Room with the RedCap in the Lounge/ using a Red Cap to/from the train isn't a bad idea/ they'll take you on a cart to/from the Lounge/tips are appreciated/ let your Sleeper attendant know upon arrival in Chicago and tell the agent in the lounge upon check in you want a Redcap

4) take some snacks and drinks of your liking aboard the train as the Cafe Car serves junk food @ airport prices/ lots of threads on this also

5) the top bunk in your Roomette is often called the coffin since it has no window and little headroom/ the lower is much better

Hope this helps/ please ask if you have more questions/ as was said, lots of good info on AU!

Happy Rails to ya'll. Let us know how the trip goes!

As for the Leatherman, there is no "Security" you have to go thru like at the airport. You should have no problem with it at all. I would not take it out in the dining or in the lounge, open the blade and clean your teeth.

I carry a mini Swiss Army knife in my wallet, for clipping stray threads and cutting fruit. I have never had anyone pay any attention to it, at all, even when I pulled it out in coach to cut up an apple. I would bet your full-size Leatherman would be more of a weight issue for you than a security issue.

I wear jeans or leggings and a t-shirt with some kind of over-layer (fleece, flannel, corduroy, sweats), plus I carry a weather-resistant outer layer, hat and gloves so I can step off the train in any weather. There is a little closet (or exposed bracket with strap) in your roomette with two hangers for your coats.

Outstanding thanks everyone for your feedback. Very helpful and much appreciated. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

Yes I've seen some comments here and elsewhere with some rather creative ideas on what to pack, and it gets confusing for a newbie to sort out what is a realistic issue someone encountered and what is just one individuals pet peeve. Which we all have of course.

I'm just trying to make this the best and most relaxing trip for my wife, as riding the train like this is a longstanding wish of hers and with our schedules changing in the near future we don't know if or when we'll have the opportunity again. So I want to make it as fun for her as I can.

So on the route guides, the train stops at every dot listed on the route? Some are different colors and I didn't see a legend. Some of them aren't even cities ie the CONO lists a state park and museum and Chicago State University on the list as well. Those are all stops? If so wow that's surprising.

Outstanding thanks everyone for your feedback. Very helpful and much appreciated. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

Yes I've seen some comments here and elsewhere with some rather creative ideas on what to pack, and it gets confusing for a newbie to sort out what is a realistic issue someone encountered and what is just one individuals pet peeve. Which we all have of course.

I'm just trying to make this the best and most relaxing trip for my wife, as riding the train like this is a longstanding wish of hers and with our schedules changing in the near future we don't know if or when we'll have the opportunity again. So I want to make it as fun for her as I can.

So on the route guides, the train stops at every dot listed on the route? Some are different colors and I didn't see a legend. Some of them aren't even cities ie the CONO lists a state park and museum and Chicago State University on the list as well. Those are all stops? If so wow that's surprising.
You'll want the timetables/schedules, not the route guide for where the stops are. The route guide tells you about things you'll see from the train or things around the areas of the stations.

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/444/137/City-of-New-Orleans-Schedule-011116.pdf

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/583/472/Southwest-Chief-Schedule-011116.pdf

When looking at those timetables linked by AmtrakBlue, note that most stops have only a single time listed. That's an indication the stop will probably be very brief - sometimes only a minute or so. If nobody is getting on or off your car at one of those short stops, your Sleeping Car Attendant (SCA) may not even open the car door. But at stops with two times listed, you'll usually be able to get off the train to stretch your legs and get a sniff of fresh air - but don't stray far from the train. I've been on trains where a few passengers got left behind!

When in doubt, ask your SCA - don't guess.

I'd like to add a comment.

While theft on trains is very rare, it is, of course, not impossible. Please be aware that your sleeping compartment cannot be locked from the outside, only from the inside. I've never had a problem with anything I've left there, but if your wife's jewelry is valuable (as opposed to fashion jewelry), I would advise she keep it in her purse and keep her purse with her. If you close the curtains and door, no one walking through will be able to tell whether you are inside or not unless they open the door, but with small valuables, I play better safe than sorry. Just a suggestion.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the links and info, that is exactly what I was looking for. Very helpful for planning.

The jewelry she is taking isn't extremely expensive (hundreds not thousands of dollars) but it is very sentimental, so it will probably stay pretty close to her. She grew up traveling overseas so she's pretty conscious of those kinds of things.

Too bad that stop in Kansas City isn't longer -- we had an incredible steak lunch at Pierpont's in Union Station on a previous (non-train) trip there in 2009 (very highly recommended steak w/ beautiful decor if anyone ever visits there) but the stop is only about 30 minutes. :(

Maybe they do call-ahead take-out......

Take a look at the Southwest Chief Route Guide that is attached to an earlier message. On the first page it mentions that Amtrak stations are listed in bold capital letters - everything else is a point of interest or some other non-station stop location. For instance, "LOS ANGELES" and "FULLERTON" are station stops, but Los Angeles River" and "Norwalk" are not. Or just use the schedules AmtrakBlue links to - those only show scheduled station stops.

You don't need to bring blankets. They are provided in sleepers. Dressing in layers is correct. I prefer a zippy to a pullover because just going from your room to the diner to the lounge car will be different temperatures. Definitely have a hat & gloves and either a heavy fleece or wind proof type jacket for your time in Chicago.

Have a great trip!

I can also chime in on the CPAP question.

You won't have a problem with it. On all my trips, never have.

I am short (5'4") so I put mine crosswise at the top of my bed with the pillow just below it. Sometimes I put it up against the side wall by my head, again with the pillow protecting me from turning into it at night.

Be sure to bring an extension cord. An inexpensive (not heavy duty) 2-prong cord works fine. Mine has 3 connections so I can plug other things in also but best is probably to have a small 3-1 plug so your extra connections are either at the room outlet or at your bed.

I carry distilled water in a water bottle (I put a sticker on it saying "distilled water" to remind me not to get it mixed up with regular water). I fill the bottle when I leave home pouring the extra back in the bottle if I won't have enough until I can pick up a gallon at my destination. Just before coming home, I refill the water bottle from the gallon then use the rest for drinking water.

I have a Li-Ion battery pack for my CPAP (works best if not using a humidifier) to avoid needing the outlet but now I only take it if I expect to need it at my destination (like at B&Bs where outlets can be few and far between). Good for 3 nights w/o humidifier or 6 hours with but also can be used while plugged in so if power goes out on train or circuit breaker trips, I am OK.

Never has anyone counted how many items in my hand.

Rarely, have we even been asked to show ID.

@ Eric - My bad, I didn't fully read over the route guide, just skimmed since we've been swamped the past few days making sure we have everything in order before we head out. Thanks for pointing that out.

@me_little_me That's good to hear on the CPAP -- and I called today to confirm it isn't counted as a carry-on, not that it will matter since we would still be under the limits but it's nice to know.

We have one of these small surge protectors with an 18" cord. I was thinking 18" would be enough but maybe not. Would a 3' extension be useful or overkill? The hose on my CPAP is probably 6' long so I'm thinking we can set it on the shelf and even with me in the top bunk it should be long enough.

Also I thought I read somewhere that the outlets in the sleepers are 3 prong but you mention using a 2 prong -- was I misinformed? If so I'll need to scramble and get one tomorrow afternoon since we are hitting the road to Memphis first thing Wednesday.

Thanks to everyone! Seriously, I've received probably tripled the responses I expected on the optimistic side. This seems like a great place.

Also I thought I read somewhere that the outlets in the sleepers are 3 prong but you mention using a 2 prong -- was I misinformed? If so I'll need to scramble and get one tomorrow afternoon since we are hitting the road to Memphis first thing Wednesday.
I use a 3-prong, 6' extension cord with a triple receptacle. It is way longer than I need to get the receptacle end down by the table between the seats. You should be aware that, on the superliners at least, the receptacle is above the right (window-side) shoulder of the person sitting OPPOSITE the step-shelves. The upper bunk will be made up with the head end on the same end as the step-shelves. I would think you would need at least a 6' extension cord for the superliner.

Ok great, will include a 6' extension in the carry on just in case we need it. I saw the layout from some videos and saw the outlet but its hard to judge distance from a video. Thanks!

You don't need to bring blankets. They are provided in sleepers. Dressing in layers is correct. I prefer a zippy to a pullover because just going from your room to the diner to the lounge car will be different temperatures. Definitely have a hat & gloves and either a heavy fleece or wind proof type jacket for your time in Chicago.

Have a great trip!
Yes! layers is the way to go, and the Chicago stopover can be either balmy or bitter cold and windy, no way to predict that. Even Albuquerque is sometimes darn chilly this time of year, or not.

Seen good advice on the CPAP, a multi-outlet cord will be helpful

About check-in at the MEM station -- have your e-ticket handy, and when the train arrives, get on! Ask any Amtrak person at the station if you worried about where to board, but the basic rule is -- just get on the train, the train attendants will show your to you roomette, or to the correct car door. No problemo.

Bonny voyage!

<edit> PS -- even if you lose your paper E-ticket at the last minute -- don't panic! You can get a copy from the station agent or the e-track machine with your credit card that you reserved with, or, failing that, the conductor has you on the roster, maybe you have to show ID -- but no worries. (But is is easier if you just show the bar-code)

Here is my sleeper survival guide;

Duct tape wrapped around a pencil, maybe two feet,,, your vent and latch fix (although we haven't needed it lately)

Six foot extension multiple outlet cord and three plug usb plug for 110 direct electronic connects (I also bring my car 3 port usb for the renter)

We both carry pen flashlights and I have a larger light that I use in the upper berth we also each have a headlamp for emergencies and walking after dark

I always wear a zip hoody and because I am a reptile wool hiking socks

Nobody every says anything about my two inch pocket knife

She Who Must Be Obeyed uses a KYSS (unique lockable ) carry on bag, We actually use it in motel rooms, never lock it on Amtrak

I put cable ties through the zippers for the checked luggage - Nail clippers need to be handy when you unpack

Even with all that paranoia we have never had anyone mess with any luggage

I normally have a backpack as an office, all my electronics, trip documents, but I have never had a problem leaving it in the sleeper unattended

She has messenger bag purse thingy

We have one roller for onboard - when we are in a roomette we leave it in the luggage rack - and one large gym back that has all my meds (I have to travel with a nebulizer rather like your CPAP) and all her cosmetics both in the luggage rack downstairs

We will use two to three checked rollers depending on the length of the trip - we often are gone for two weeks or more. Often I bring my scope and tripod for destination scenery

I also save my old ratty underwear and use it on the trip, pitching it after wearing it

I doubt few out anal retentive plan me - the trip this spring GBB / Grand Canyon / LA/ Sacramento / Yosemite / San Simeon / back to GBB has a 26 page itinerary,,, but once I hit the confines of GBB and check the luggage that all goes away so we can just kick back and enjoy.

One last thought - relish the wonderful people you will meet and cherish the chance to break bread who have wonderful stories to tell, and want to hear yours as well.

Father always said, "Once Amtrak never back"

@sgtrock....seems as if everything got pretty well covered. As you probably know, Chicago is supposed to get about 3" of snow Wednesday into Wednesday night. This will probably not interfere with your train, but I would take some sort of rain/snow boots for walking around in the slush. Also, pack LIGHT....I usually just bring a mid-weight down (zipper) jacket and wear it all the time over a t-shirt. Down is great as it's comfortable at such wide temperature ranges you may experience on and off the train. Plus, it packs down to nothing. Also, Albuquerque weather from Friday through the weekend looks fantastic...clear and 70ish. Probably nicer than Memphis. Cool town...I used to live there. Go ahead and do the tourist thing and take the tram up to the Sandias east of town.

Really hope you enjoy your trip....you will probably get hooked. Current wx update...Chicago is now under a Winter Storm Warning from late tomorrow through Wednesday. Probably see about 5" or so, and more around South Bend.

Please, I repeat, PLEASE write about your first-time Amtrak experience, don't hesitate to include ALL the negatives, but do let all of us know how it all worked out for you. ESPECIALLY what you really liked, what impressed you and if you'd do another Long Distance trip on Amtrak.

My first time Long Distance Amtrak experience was sullied by a stolen leather jacket from my bedroom on the Capitol Limited, a witch waitress............. (or whatever Amtrak calls them), serving person ???? in the dining car on the Texas Eagle, a worthless A**hole of a Sleeper Attendant on the return trip on the Texas Eagle, but overall, ......... I fell hopelessly in love with Amtrak Long Distance travel and have completed numerous trips since that first one in November '14 and will continue until I've ridden every piece of track in the Amtrak system.

I've pi**ed off many on this site by voicing my displeasure with the numerous "Toxic Amtrak Employees" I've encountered, but really, overall, Long Distance Amtrak is an experience second to none. Remarkably ***CIVILIZED*** in an increasingly UN-civilized, rude and ugly world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back