First Trip Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the meal times, while you can always have your meals brought to your room by the attendant, it still doesn't change the meal times. The dining car only provides carry out meals to the sleeping car attendants during the normal meal times. So there is no advantage to asking your attendant to bring you your meals.

Now if you don't mind the meal being cold, then I suppose you could have the attendant bring it to you before they close the diner for the meal and just let it sit for a while.

So, now that I've booked, my aunt and uncle want to go too! I've seen a diagram of the rooms here, but I can't seem to find it now. I think it would be fun to get another roomette accross the hall, but maybe a close bedroom. She needs to check with my uncle to see how he feels about sharing bathroom facilities. He is elderly, in great shape, but having a bathroom readily available is essential. I'm thinking he'll prefer a private toilet. Which roomette or bedroom should we request?
You also need to pay attention to the car numbers, as there is more than one sleeping car on the train. So just booking Bedroom E, assuming its even available, doesn't mean that they'll be just down the hall from you. You must also make sure that they are assigned to the same car as you are. Car numbers would be 531 and 532, with 531 being closer to the dining car.

I'll add that as the train goes westward through the time zones, that 6am breakfast opening the first morning out will be at the time your body knew as 7am the day before....... or even 8am if you're flying to MDW out of the eastern time zone as I did.

It's easy to fall into a different cycle on a long-distance train. Personally, I was in bed by 9:30pm each night and up showering at 5:30am local time each morning...... Given that I generally am getting up at 5:30am eastern on weekdays, it was almost like sleeping in by comparison. That 5:30am wakeup before Denver translated as 7:30am eastern. The second morning wakeup in Nevada 8:30am by comparison back home.

Last edited by a moderator:
About late dinner, I also prefer eating dinner as late as possible, and on a couple of recent Amtrak trips, I have managed to have it around 8pm or later. Ask what are the dinner reservation slots, take the last one, they generally have one for 8pm. Go to the Dining Car at 8pm, order your food, have the salad and by the time the main course arrives and you eat it at leisure it can be easily close to 9pm, that's about as late as you can go.

Thanks, everyone. We'll try for the latest dining possible. We always enjoy meeting new people on trips, so we won't want to miss out on the dining car.

I like the idea of 2 roomettes, especially during the day, but sleeping across the hall from each other would be odd and I'm not sure if either of us would rest well, but I'm going to think about this idea. I called my aunt back and she agrees they would need a bedroom, but they're not ready to book just yet.

We're so excited! How crowded do you think it will be mid-March?

Just consider that the berths are not really wide enough for 2 to be very comfortable, and the other choice is one in the lower berth with the other in the top berth. There are 2 steps to the upper berth, with a large space between the 2nd step and the upper berth. And as said, the upper berth does not have excessive room, due to the curvature of the roof.

Just consider that the berths are not really wide enough for 2 to be very comfortable, and the other choice is one in the lower berth with the other in the top berth. There are 2 steps to the upper berth, with a large space between the 2nd step and the upper berth. And as said, the upper berth does not have excessive room, due to the curvature of the roof.
They look narrow in the pictures, so I figured one of us will en up in the top bunk. That's okay!

I'm well over six feet tall and I fit in the top bunk of a roomette just fine. The only issue I've found is being able bodied and thinking through your approach instead of just randomly stepping on things or people below you. It's true that there is no window up there to look through. Once you're awake you can come down and sit on the lower bed together or have the attendant make up the room back into chairs again and have your window back. The honest truth is that there is no perfect solution for sleeping together. Even a full bedroom on the train isn't that large. Also, in a full bedroom the beds are perpendicular to the tracks, which makes me feel like I'm trying to sleep on boat instead of a train. These days full bedrooms can cost as much as a ride in a private charter car or a first class domestic airline ticket. When I see a good deal on a bedroom I'll snap it up, but in general I think the roomette has become the true sweet spot after all the price increases in recent years.

or have the attendant make up the room back into chairs again and have your window back.
So, the attendants don't automatically make up the room into chairs each day? We'll need to make this request? Is it a big deal? Can't we just fold it up when we wake up and enjoy our coffee in the chairs?

or have the attendant make up the room back into chairs again and have your window back.
So, the attendants don't automatically make up the room into chairs each day? We'll need to make this request? Is it a big deal? Can't we just fold it up when we wake up and enjoy our coffee in the chairs?
Generally the attendants will make the beds back into chairs when you leave for breakfast, but if you want them to do so beforehand you'll need to request it. It's not a big deal to do it yourself either, but it can take a bit of force and leverage to get things to move where you want them to go.

Thanks, everyone. We'll try for the latest dining possible. We always enjoy meeting new people on trips, so we won't want to miss out on the dining car.
I like the idea of 2 roomettes, especially during the day, but sleeping across the hall from each other would be odd and I'm not sure if either of us would rest well, but I'm going to think about this idea. I called my aunt back and she agrees they would need a bedroom, but they're not ready to book just yet.

If you're planning on mid-March, I would suggest making your reservations ASAP.

That's only 5 weeks out, so your choices may be limited.

Regarding a "couple" and two roomettes: my wife and I have been married over 31 years and are still very much in love. We took Amtrak on our honeymoon in 1981, riding in a single level bedroom (before viewliners) (plenty comfortable in the upper) Memphis to Chicago and a Superliner roomette (pretty tight quarters) Chi-Denver.

I was REALLY skinny then. Now, not so much so. 31 plus years later, we still sleep in the same bedroom at home (too much information, sorry) but on Amtrak our preference is two roomettes right across from each other. We each have a lower berth, and believe me, when you are older and a little bigger it is tough getting in the upper berth, and tougher getting out, and you can't sit up.

An added advantage to 2 roomettes? You can easily share the scenery on both sides of the train :)

If you're planning on mid-March, I would suggest making your reservations ASAP.

That's only 5 weeks out, so your choices may be limited.
I've already booked. We're in car 532, roomette 007. Now, I'm just considering booking another roomette.

Sleeping across the hall might be weird, but you can't really talk to each other or see each other when one of you is in the upper bunk anyway. When the bunks are down, there's not a whole lot of floor space - no room for two people to be getting dressed, getting in/out of bed, etc. Many couples share a roomette (my wife and I do so regularly), but the first time we were on the train it was a little hard to get used to. Now, we have it down to a science, but I wish we had taken two roomettes the first time.

Speaking of resting well, though, a lot of people do find that it's hard to sleep the first night on a train, especially if you've never done it before. As previous posters have said, it can be easier to sleep in a roomette - the rocking motion is side to side, like a hammock or a cradle, instead of head to toe. Personally, I've never really notice a difference, but some people do.

If you have two roomettes, at least both of you could sit up, read, look out the window, etc. if you're not sleepy. If one of you is in the upper bunk and has a hard time falling asleep, there's not much you can do about it.

Have you looked at many pictures, videos, etc. of the roomette and bedroom? Amtrak's website has a virtual tour, and Youtube has a lot of videos to give you an idea of what you're in for. There aren't many videos that show a roomette at night, but I did find this one:

Oh my goodness, that top bunk is scary looking! I've looked at the virtual tour on the AmTrak site, but it doesn't convey the actual size as the video you shared does. Going to show video to hubby and see what he thinks. Thank you.

Just showed the video to hubby, and he said no worries :) , it'll be fun. So, one roomette it is. Still, that upper bunk .... :unsure:

I was hoping mid-March, before Spring break starts, might be a slow time and the train wouldn't be crowded, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Thank you all for answering my questions and helping me decide. You've been very helpful,

Hi Rene

In regard to a place to eat there is a Beggars Pizza just across the street from the southwest corner of Union Station, they do serve pan pizza but their regular thick crust pizza is GREAT (that probably will get me banned from AU). They have a full bar and are decorated in a railroad motif. The address is 310 S. Clinton. The phone is 312-588-0055.

If you want to go to Whole Foods it is approximately one mile south of the station on Canal Street. To get to Canal Street take the escalator just outside of the Amtrak waiting area and you will find yourself on Canal St.

Have a great trip and welcome to AU, the greatest forum on the internet concerning Amtrak!

Oldtimer aka Al

Changing in a roomette when the bunks are down is a lot like changing in a tent while camping. :) There's very little room between the bunks and the door, so I end up kneeling/sitting on the bed and wiggling into my clothes the best I can.

Changing in a roomette when the bunks are down is a lot like changing in a tent while camping. :) There's very little room between the bunks and the door, so I end up kneeling/sitting on the bed and wiggling into my clothes the best I can.
This is also why the shower is labeled "Changing Room" as well.

This is also why the shower is labeled "Changing Room" as well.
Meh. By the time I get down there and see if it's occupied, I could have been dressed already. I wasn't complaining, just comparing it to a tent. :) I feel kind of like Superman in a phone booth, and it's fun to see how quickly I can change without much room to maneuver.

Hi- In November we had 2 roomettes across from each other- on the Southwest Chief and preferred them to a bedroom. No bathroom in room and noone

has to sleep in a small upper bunk. It's still expensive, cheaper than a bedroom, and quite comfortable. Just another idea for comfort.

Have a good trip- the CZ has beautiful scenery.

I tend to sleep in clothes that I can walk around the train in (shorts/T-shirt). I do prefer to change in the shower room as opposed to trying to maneuver in the roomette, though I have almost always travelled solo and sleep on the top bunk and leave the seats in "day mode". I'm a solid 6', 280 lbs and slept fine in the upper bunk, though I did miss not having a window. I couldn't turn around though.

No one else has argued the point that the Dread Pirate Roberts made about the bathroom and shower in the bedrooms. I would tend to disagree on the size. Keeping in mind that the shower is ALSO the bathroom, I have found that the size is bigger than just the shower stall for the roomette folks. You don't really need the changing room because you have your bedroom. This is my opinion for your uncle and aunt.

I think that you two in a roomette and the U/A in a bedroom should be fine. I don't think you'll need two roomettes just for the two of you. It may take the first night getting used to it, but you will have a second night to thoroughly enjoy it!

I tend to sleep in clothes that I can walk around the train in (shorts/T-shirt). I do prefer to change in the shower room as opposed to trying to maneuver in the roomette, though I have almost always travelled solo and sleep on the top bunk and leave the seats in "day mode". I'm a solid 6', 280 lbs and slept fine in the upper bunk, though I did miss not having a window. I couldn't turn around though.
I gave this two tries. That top bunk really is like a coffin. Although on the viewliners, their ceilings are so tall, that its a lot funner for me to do this on them. I can make my way up but can never find an efficient way of getting down.

No one else has argued the point that the Dread Pirate Roberts made about the bathroom and shower in the bedrooms. I would tend to disagree on the size. Keeping in mind that the shower is ALSO the bathroom, I have found that the size is bigger than just the shower stall for the roomette folks.
I'm 5'11" and weigh in at around 160. I can't take a shower in the Bedroom shower/toilet combo without banging my elbows on the walls. I definitely do not have that problem in the public shower on the lower level. It is roomier, although not hugely, than the Bedroom's shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back