Going to Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Dave

Lead Service Attendant
Greetings All,

Headed from Philadelphia or Trenton to Chicago soon. In the past I've gone into NY to pick up the LSL; gone down to DC to pick up the CL and, in the old days, took the Three Rivers from Philadelphia.

I'm considering the Cardinal (if I can get a Roomette). But often I've seen threads that have been kind of negative to the train (only one sleeper, poor food, etc.). Is it the scenery or something else that makes the Cardinal an attractive option.

Thanks!

Dave

The food isn't really that bad. The number of sleepers doesn't determine the quality of the train (you only need one room). The main passenger amenity problem is the general lack of lounge space, which is a problem on all single-level trains, but is exacerbated by the fact that half the food-service car is taken up for serving meals.

The train travels through New River Gorge, which is quite beautiful.

Otherwise, the main problem with the train is that it's slow as hell.

I rode a few months ago, and was completely "underwhelmed". I even had a seat on the river side.

The food was pretty good, or at least the entree was. (veggies were, never mind............). Staff was average.

Scenery was FANTASTIC. But you are pretty limited to your roomette, cause as OP wrote, the "lounge car' is really just an Amfleet FS car, with one side reserved for the sleeping car pax to eat their meals in.

OP think the scenery trumps the food, accommodations, and travel time. I don't. The Viewliner sleeper I was in was old and shabby, and actually had an "aromatic odor" to it, hence I kept my roomette door open the whole trip. (so others could enjoy).

Personally, if I'm on a train for scenery, you will find me in the SSL, (or on the CS, the PPC) I sleep, nap, or read in the room. Even though Viewliners have windows for the upper berth, it's a hard argument to say that your room is the best place to view the landscape as you travel by...

I last rode the Cardinal in 2007. The view from the observation car now is nothing like it was when the Cardinal was operated with Superliner equipment. I used to ride it frequently CVS-CHI, in the late 90s/early 2000s. Food was good then, and it was actually pretty good last time, too, in the newer deal where the kitchen/re-heating area is right there in the food car.

My preference now is the Capitol Limited. It's a bit faster and roomier, and it's easier to connect to from the NE Regional that stops at Main Street Station. I'll only take the Cardinal if the price is much better, which it usually isn't.

No comment on sleeping accommodations. I always ride coach.

The food isn't really that bad. The number of sleepers doesn't determine the quality of the train (you only need one room). The main passenger amenity problem is the general lack of lounge space, which is a problem on all single-level trains, but is exacerbated by the fact that half the food-service car is taken up for serving meals.

The train travels through New River Gorge, which is quite beautiful.

Otherwise, the main problem with the train is that it's slow as hell.
This nails it.

If you're interested in a train that looks good from the outside, has lots of cars and lounge space, then the Card isn't your train.

If (like me), all you're interested in is sitting in your room and watching some amazing scenery go by, then by all means give it a shot. In my opinion, the food was just as good as any you'll get on Amtrak and the service was top notch (probably because at most there was only one other table with people at it when we took our meals).

I rode a few months ago, and was completely "underwhelmed". I even had a seat on the river side.

The food was pretty good, or at least the entree was. (veggies were, never mind............). Staff was average.

Scenery was FANTASTIC. But you are pretty limited to your roomette, cause as OP wrote, the "lounge car' is really just an Amfleet FS car, with one side reserved for the sleeping car pax to eat their meals in.

OP think the scenery trumps the food, accommodations, and travel time. I don't. The Viewliner sleeper I was in was old and shabby, and actually had an "aromatic odor" to it, hence I kept my roomette door open the whole trip. (so others could enjoy).

Personally, if I'm on a train for scenery, you will find me in the SSL, (or on the CS, the PPC) I sleep, nap, or read in the room. Even though Viewliners have windows for the upper berth, it's a hard argument to say that your room is the best place to view the landscape as you travel by...
Point of technicality, "OP" refers to Original Poster (i.e. the thread starter), which, in this case, would be Pastor Dave. I'm the one (not the OP) that said that half the food-service car is taken up by meal service. Nobody (in this thread, anyway) said "scenery trumps the food, accommodations, and travel time." My response simply laid out the factors to be weighed. The food isn't that bad. Accommodations are the same (i.e. Viewliner sleeper). Travel time...well, it's slow as hell. There's limited lounge space. Those are all facts (except for the food quality, which is an opinion).

It's up to the OP (Pastor Dave) to decide whether the experience of riding a new route (but limited areas in which to sit and enjoy it) trumps travel time. Given that he used to take the Three Rivers, then, if he doesn't mind the longer travel time, he really should have no problem with the Cardinal. The food service on today's Cardinal is much better than what the Three Rivers offered. The Three Rivers never had a separate dining and lounge car, and never ran with more than one sleeper. So, when it comes to the on-board experience, it's like riding the Three Rivers with better food.

If you do ride the Cardinal, my recommendation is to take it EASTBOUND! That way, you go thru the New River Gorge area in the morning!
wink.gif
Going westbound, you may get to that area after dark!
sad.gif

And the Cardinal NEVER had an observation car - at least in Amtrak days! When it ran with Superliner equipment, it carried a Sightseer Lounge, but never an observation car!
rolleyes.gif

I just took the Cardinal westbound from WAS to CHI 3 weeks ago. I was in a bedroom that was pretty shabby, I paid much more for my bedroom than I would have on the CL, the dining car service was adequate (at best), but if I had it to do over, I would done everything the same. The scenery was wonderful, even though it did get dark just after passing New River Gorge. I had previously traveled on the CL and the LSL, so I wanted to try a new train with new scenery and I have no complaints.

I think it will be a personal preference for you (scenery vs. better equipment). I had been told that eastbound is better for the scenery, but that would not have worked for my connections to the Silver Meteor (and I did not want to take a bus).

OP think the scenery trumps the food, accommodations, and travel time. ...
Point of technicality, "OP" refers to Original Poster ...
If we are going to get technical, "OP" as an abbreviation for "other people" predates "OP" as an abbreviation for "original poster." The plural form of the verb "think" should have been a clue that it did not stand for "original poster."

If we are going to get technical, "OP" as an abbreviation for "other people" predates "OP" as an abbreviation for "original poster." The plural form of the verb "think" should have been a clue that it did not stand for "original poster."
I too had always thunk OP stood for "original poster"! How would you describe "the original poster" generically?
huh.gif
And which "other poster" would OP stand for if the thread has 112 posts?
huh.gif
(Would the OP be poster #28, #47, #79 or #105?
huh.gif
)

I too had always thunk OP stood for "original poster"! How would you describe "the original poster" generically?
huh.gif
And which "other poster" would OP stand for if the thread has 112 posts?
huh.gif
(Would the OP be poster #28, #47, #79 or #105?
huh.gif
)
Nah, I meant "OP" as "Other Poster" sorry for the confusion. I guess the convention is/should be "Original Poster". That's how I'll use it from now on.......

I've been on the Cardinal three times this year from New York to Indianapolis.

I take this train mainly because it does not require a transfer enroute.

I find the food about the same as other trains and acceptable. The scenery

through West Virginia is very pretty. Good Luck, Pastor Dave. I hope you

enjoy your trip.

Great scenery, but the view was better when the Cardinal consisted of Superliner equipment and had the Sightseer Lounge for observing the New River Gorge and the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I am taking the Cardinal from Charlottesville to Chicago on Oct. 31 and back on Nov. 2. Will the leaves still be on the trees then? Sure hope so, Perhaps they will be falling or depends on the weather in October. I know they are still pretty much on the trees here in Norfolk in Nov.

I believe the Cardinal is the smallest and strangest consist in the Eastern Amtrak LD fleet. It's on a 3 day a week schedule, often has only five cars but it can go to six in peak season.

IMO, no lounge, a diner lite and only two bedrooms ( + 1 H room) on the train maks the long trip a bit confining. There are probably a total of only 8-10 available sleepers on this train ( crew takes a few) and they come at a premium. You get standard run down accomodations at high bucket prices but people do pay it as the train usually sells out. Its a very scenic route and a long trip but one that we will not take until new equipment comes on in 2012.

IMO, no lounge, a diner lite and only two bedrooms ( + 1 H room) on the train maks the long trip a bit confining.
Honestly, is it possible to have a single thread on here about the Cardinal where you don't whine about the short consist and the high-bucket fares?

IMO, no lounge, a diner lite and only two bedrooms ( + 1 H room) on the train maks the long trip a bit confining.
Honestly, is it possible to have a single thread on here about the Cardinal where you don't whine about the short consist and the high-bucket fares?
No whining. The guy came here looking for info. Just stating an opinion and sharing info for someone who is trying to decide if this route is good for them. Boy we've got some sensitive grimpy old men on this forum!!!

No, you sound like a broken record, complaining about the same thing in any thread where the Cardinal is in any way mentioned, and it's getting old.

No way Ryan.

What's the difference between someone expressing their opinion, repeatedly, on what they DON'T LIKE about the Cardinal, vs. another poster (perhaps you) expressing their opinion, repeatedly, on what they DO LIKE about the Cardinal?

Can't have it just one way..............

In my opinion, the Cardinal is a "dumpy little train". And you won't see my Fat A** on it again, until they enhance the consist. (as in a full diner and SSL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back