Holding a Bag at South Bend

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak839

Lead Service Attendant
Taking 29 out to South Bend for Michigan State-Notre Dame this weekend. The hotels in South Bend require a minimum stay of 2-3 nights during Notre Dame football weekends, which we were not willing to pay for when we needed one at most. So we'll be getting off 29 in the morning, spending the day on campus for the game, and catching 30 back to DC at 8:30. So my question is: anyone happen to know if they'll hold a bag for us during the day there? They have checked baggage service there, but I don't know if they'll hold a bag in the baggage room (like they will at the baggage counter in PHL) or if they will only take bags being checked to a city down the line.

Thanks!

Looks like the station and baggage check hours are 6:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. to 1 a.m., so I would imagine they would hold a bag for you.

I think any station that has checked baggage service also offers day check!
smile.gif

Wait, somebody staffs that concrete bunker in an industrial park that passes for a city station?! :eek:hboy: :wacko: :giggle: Its Amtrak code is SOB, which is I'm sure what many people have said, in fuller form, when they first saw this abortion of a station. :angry2: :p

The building started out life as the South Shore's station in South Bend when that railroad ended its street running to downtown. For quite a while, it was a joint (Union?) station with Amtrak and South Shore sharing the facility (If you can call it that). South Shore left for the airport, leaving Amtrak with the bunker located in an out of the way neighborhood. There was some talk about several years ago about Amtrak moving back to a site at or near the old NYC/GTW station, but apparently Norfolk Southern blocked the move, so it looks like Amtrak is stuck at this unsightly site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back