How about we share some good interactions we have had with Amtrak Empl

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frj1983

OBS Chief
OK, we've heard a lot about bad service, any good service received lately??? I'm not trying to whitewash the problems, but sometimes I think it worth hearing about the positive stuff as well!

I repost a piece I wrote earlier:

My most recent encounter with an Amtrak staffer was at the ticket counter in Chicago in March. The Woman who helped my Wife and I, was incredibly pleasant, was glad to see that we were going to New Orleans, gave each of us timetables for the trip (with reminders that new schedules were coming out soon) along with our tickets, asked if we had any questions, and was quite cheerful throughout our entire interaction!

robin, my sleeping car attendant on the CS (4/10/07), was most fabulous. i left her a hand-written thank you and $20 tip. she really was superb. too bad she was on my first leg of the trip, because no one after that came close!

also, shirley in the SWC dining car (4/6/07) was really a gas. it took me awhile to get used to our coach attendant's sense of humor -- abid? -- but in retrospect he was tending to coach passengers (pillows, chatting) more than *any* other attendant on the 8,000 miles i just logged in three weeks.

i should also note that every person i spoke to on the rail pass hotline was incredibly helpful, as was the ticketing agent -- didn't catch her name! -- at the LAX ticket counter.

i must admit now that after all of that interaction with front line employees, amtrak is cumulatively no worse than any major airline when it comes to customer service. that's definitely something to brag about!

One of my favorite Amtrak employees is Richard. He was my Parlour Car attendant on an August 2005 trip on the Coast Starlight between LAX and Oakland. Even though it wasn't required, he did an excellent narration for everyone the whole route -- it was especially interesting the small details he knew -- like trains during WWII required passengers to close the shades on the train while traveling through Vandenberg AFB.

How cool?

With the Parlor Car problems, I guess he's now an LSA on the Southwest Chief.

I was shocked to run into him back in February 2007 when I was eating lunch on the SWC while going between Galesburg, IL and Chicago, IL.

Here's our picture:

http://shim1.shutterfly.com/procgserv/47b7...47108CaOHDVoycQ

Other notables... sleeping car attendants Marcie (City of New Orleans), Sandra (Texas Eagle), and Issac (California Zephyr)

My favorite chef... Issac H. on the California Zephyr

In May of 2005 I had the most spectacular attendant on the Empire Builder. Her name was Andrea and if there was a contest for the best of the best, she would win.

On the Capital Ltd., there was a truly terrific dining car waitress. She was terrific. Unfortunately, I didn't get her name.

William, on the Empire Builder, was also very intent on making sure everyone was having a comfortable trip.

On the way back from LasVegas in October on the SWC, I had an attendant who was very tolerant of me as I layed down across both seats most of the way home. I never told him I was sick, but maybe he figured that out. He never said one word about it until the train started filling up as we got closer to Chicago. Then he told me that he might have to have someone sit next to me if the seats were full. Hats off to him. Sorry I didn't get his name either.

In my experiences, the good workers have always made up for any rude staff aboard Amtrak. I have had many great staff over the years, but here are the best of the best that I remember:

Thomas from the Empire Builder, when I rode many years ago he was my sleeping car attendant. I beleive now he is working in the Dining Car. I know he has held many jobs with Amtrak, including Chief of onboard Services.

Desire' from the Crescent, a waitress I have had many times, she will liven up any conversation. One time she even woke me up in my sleeper before they stopped serving breakfast and told me I had to eat breakfast, I had no choice. :)

And Kevin from the Crescent, he is a car host in the coaches, and he does the best job of keeping his passengers organized and, happy. Along with being one of the nicest, and funniest guys I have ever met, I have never seen a car host in coach go so out of his way to seat passengers in an orderly fashion at all stops. He seems to always be helping out passengers with luggage as well.

hey there,

i was on the phone with a lady from amtrak and she was fantastic. what was even greater was her cousin was the mayor of a very small town in georgia named oliver. this is a flashing yellow light town. we go there every thanksgiving to a farm. then we had in common savannah and she told me how when she was a child she would go to the train station there. we both felt that she could have met my grandfather at any time because he was the train master or something at the station for scl. it was great to talk with someone about trains and who knows oliver.

even though she could not help me i enjoyed our conversation. she was very pleasant. i have yet to have a bad experience whether at the station in winter park florida or on the phone.

our trip is three weeks from today in fact i will be on the train if all goes on time at this time. i plan to write to you all during the trip. i will let you know how it is going.

until i read again,

amy :D :rolleyes:

I believe his name is RC Adams. He was our sleeping car attendent on the CZ last Memorial Day weekend. This last weekend I'm getting off the CZ around midnight after taking coach RT and there is RC busy getting sleeping car pax situated as I was detraining. I was so bummed that I didn't know he was working the trip on the #5. He was great. I also had a waiter in the Dining Car named Red that was fairly new but real nice to my ex-girlfriends children. They got a kick out of him. Also, a woman on the 800 number who I called a compliment on a fellow Amtrak employee. She ended up telling me all sorts of things to do in EMY since she has ridden the CZ as well. I would have never known to take the "audio" tour of Alcatraz if it wasn't for her. And lastly, Mike the ticket agent at the Amtrak station in LNK. Guy has worked there for 20 years, is professional, knowledgeable, customer service oriented and worked like a fricken dog. A friend of his sister told me that he worked 4 months straight without a day off since he is the only employee in LNK, the guy(s) who cover his days off had been on injured leave and the other quit. Working this much at a station that consistently has a late train (#6) and having a good attitude is just plain incredible.

Hey Rail Rookie! I remember RC! He is a really nice guy as well, I think I had him on the Empire Builder once ( I have never been on the zephyr). I have had him as my sleeping car attendant, and he was so nice. He is one of best at knowing when you need your beds up or down, I dont think I ever had to call him, he somehow always knew! I'm glad you mentioned him, I had forgotten about him.

Most of my experiences with Amtrak employees have been very positive - certainly no reason to complain about employee conduct or professionalism. I would nominate Southwest sleeping car attendant Vic for an employee award or some sort of customer service recognition. Vic was very pleasant and went out of his way to make sure everyone in our car was taken care of and that they knew what was going on. There were a few folks who, in my opinion, were a bit needy, but Vic took care of there needs - and always with a very positive attitude. There were a few challenges with one or two passengers who didn't take Amtrak's no smoking policy too seriously, but in the end things worked out with minimal disruption to service.

George, one of the regular cafe car attendents on the Pennsylvanian, ranks in my book as one of the best Amtrak service employees I've encountered in my odd travels over the railroad.

I'll have to amplify on this when I write up a trip report.

As someone who rides Amtrak to the tune of about 25,000 miles a year (primarily on long distance trains) and takes about six airline flights a week, I find the Amtrak employees much better (attentive, friendly) than the airline employees who are universally indifferent and too busy feeling threatened by the passengers to care much for anything else. Commercial air service in the U.S. has degraded down to a tedious and tiresome chore for everyone.

I especially appreciate "Tony" who is a sleeping car attendant on the Texas Eagle: friendly attentive, and helpful. And, he keeps the machine clean.

Thus I take Amtrak for business travel whenever time allows. To the extent I've seen bad experiences on Amtrak, most I've observed have been brought on by the passengers themselves who are drunk, selfish, foolish, or simply stupid and rude.

As someone who rides Amtrak to the tune of about 25,000 miles a year (primarily on long distance trains) and takes about six airline flights a week, I find the Amtrak employees much better (attentive, friendly) than the airline employees who are universally indifferent and too busy feeling threatened by the passengers to care much for anything else. Commercial air service in the U.S. has degraded down to a tedious and tiresome chore for everyone.
I especially appreciate "Tony" who is a sleeping car attendant on the Texas Eagle: friendly attentive, and helpful. And, he keeps the machine clean.

Thus I take Amtrak for business travel whenever time allows. To the extent I've seen bad experiences on Amtrak, most I've observed have been brought on by the passengers themselves who are drunk, selfish, foolish, or simply stupid and rude.
Wow, that's a lot of traveling! I am curious on what kind of job do you work for?

As to, "Wow, that's a lot of traveling! I am curious on what kind of job do you work for?" I work for myself in wireless and Internet security. I live in hotels and in the sleepers when I can.

I took the SWC from ABQ to CHI in March and Gabriel was our attendant. He was totally fab! Pleasant personality, good sense of humor, very attentive. Hope I run into him again.

On the SWC from CHI to ABQ in April, Jay was our attendant. He was most courteous, provided great service, and had a very pleasant demeanor.

I believe his name is RC Adams. He was our sleeping car attendent on the CZ last Memorial Day weekend. This last weekend I'm getting off the CZ around midnight after taking coach RT and there is RC busy getting sleeping car pax situated as I was detraining. I was so bummed that I didn't know he was working the trip on the #5. He was great. I also had a waiter in the Dining Car named Red that was fairly new but real nice to my ex-girlfriends children. They got a kick out of him. Also, a woman on the 800 number who I called a compliment on a fellow Amtrak employee.
OMFG, RR!

My friend and I caught #6(2) for the first time this past Thursday out of Denver. We treated ourselves to a roomette, and our attendant was J. C. Adams. Very personable fellow - a bit "sarcastically" gruff but loads of fun. Definitely a great ride, particularly since we made the Capitol with 6 minutes to spare!

As for "Red," was he a particularly tall fellow with a knack for sayings like "I'll be glad to my friend" in a somewhat exaggerated dialect?

As to the great Service Attendant on the Capitol's Diner, you might be referring to Nancy. She was our attendant, and she was spectacular.

As to the great Service Attendant on the Capitol's Diner, you might be referring to Nancy. She was our attendant, and she was spectacular.
I'll second that; Nancy does her best to keep everyone happy.

My sleeper attendant on 51(2), Carmelle, was top notch.

Hey The Met,

Did you and your friend have lunch with a guy from Boston on 30(4) on Saturday?

Hey The Met,

We certainly did! On a similar vein, did you by chance happen to have lunch "in Cumberland" with a nice young gent and his Ethiopian American companion returning from Denver, telling the tale of their 6 minute connecting window, who you saw also do a similar sprint to catch the held over 4:25 from WAS, that unfortunately, was only going to NYP, leaving my friend to hope that you "Enjoy your Dinner!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Fascinating... I was on #30(1). The dining car crew was above average, but needs to work a bit to reach the "outstanding" level.

Yes, Red was a real tall lanky kinda guy. Always had a smile on his face and he told us he was "new" at Amtrak. I think he had blue eyes and was African American. He was just a good guy. I forgot about a conductor named Lester. He really was a good rep for Amtrak. He made our trip to EMY by joking around with us. We had our camera taken (we left it sitting in the observation car for 5 hours) and we went to the station in LNK and had another pic taken of him. (like 2 months later) He's always been nice when we have been at the station in LNK when he's the conductor.

Hey The Met,

We certainly did! On a similar vein, did you by chance happen to have lunch "in Cumberland" with a nice young gent and his Ethiopian American companion returning from Denver, telling the tale of their 6 minute connecting window, who you saw also do a similar sprint to catch the held over 4:25 from WAS, that unfortunately, was only going to NYP, leaving my friend to hope that you "Enjoy your Dinner!"
As a matter of fact, I did!

I also enjoyed my dinner in Union Station.

The trip north on 66 was not so enjoyable....oh how I wish for a sleeper to return to the 66/67 trains.

It was a pleasure meeting you both!

My apologies to all for dragging this thread off topic.

Mike

OK, we've heard a lot about bad service, any good service received lately??? I'm not trying to whitewash the problems, but sometimes I think it worth hearing about the positive stuff as well!

I repost a piece I wrote earlier:

My most recent encounter with an Amtrak staffer was at the ticket counter in Chicago in March. The Woman who helped my Wife and I, was incredibly pleasant, was glad to see that we were going to New Orleans, gave each of us timetables for the trip (with reminders that new schedules were coming out soon) along with our tickets, asked if we had any questions, and was quite cheerful throughout our entire interaction!
My votes go to the station agents. They are the first person you meet when you come to board and purchase a ticket. A lot of the one man stations have some quite interesting personalities. It seems the larger the station, the more the agents just do their job and nothing more (I did notice the lady in Chicago.) I have personally seen lone station agents mopping up after someone's child decided to leave lunch on the waiting room floor. Most will meet the train and assist the passengers on board after they have finished their baggage duties. The best I have seen are in Glenwood Springs, CO, St. Paul MN. Hammond, LA and Tuscaloosa, Al. The worst experience with one was recently at BWI rail station. I inquired as to what track the Washington train was coming in on and was told, quite gruffly, "Pick a track!!!" As in any barrel of apples you get a few not so sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back