How bad is the inside air quality, during a long train ride?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You may or may not experience problems with the air quality on a train, and CO2 could be a cause of this- but many other factors could influence perceived air quality as well. Allergens, mechanical fumes, carbon monoxide, cleaning fluids, and many other irritants could lead to problems with air quality. I've experienced poor air quality on Amtrak several times, and I doubt CO2 levels ever had anything to do with it.

FWIW there's pretty substantial air circulation on Amtrak, even without considering the air leaking in through the vestibules. The HVAC in every car I've been in is very much like a through-the-wall air conditioner and is delivering 100% outside air in at all times.

The only problems come when diesel fumes outside are getting picked up by the HVAC, such as when you're in a tunnel with a diesel locomotive.

Any other indoor air quality issues will be due to things like the carpeting or cleaning fluids, which do happen occasionally.

You may or may not experience problems with the air quality on a train, and CO2 could be a cause of this- but many other factors could influence perceived air quality as well. Allergens, mechanical fumes, carbon monoxide, cleaning fluids, and many other irritants could lead to problems with air quality. I've experienced poor air quality on Amtrak several times, and I doubt CO2 levels ever had anything to do with it.
Thank you. Luckily, those things dont really bother me that much. I have a hemoglobin issue, which specifically means that i am very sensitive to co2, which displaces oxygen on the hemoglobin in your blood-stream. So in a typical house, a Co2 of 600ppm will bother me, while most people wouldnt notice it at all. Actually, it's one of the factors in my move to Miami Beach - great air quality.

FWIW there's pretty substantial air circulation on Amtrak, even without considering the air leaking in through the vestibules. The HVAC in every car I've been in is very much like a through-the-wall air conditioner and is delivering 100% outside air in at all times.

The only problems come when diesel fumes outside are getting picked up by the HVAC, such as when you're in a tunnel with a diesel locomotive.

Any other indoor air quality issues will be due to things like the carpeting or cleaning fluids, which do happen occasionally.
100% outside-air in? that's what i like to hear...... i might be making this trip very frequently over the next few years, as my business will be in Miami and NYC, so i need to nail this down for planning purposes. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had an issue with the air quality, although I've found that the bedroom half of the Viewliner sleepers tends to run hot (the AC doesn't work well in the summer, and the heat works TOO well in the winter). The worst "air quality" I've experienced was when I was on the CZ going through the Moffat tunnel (due to the diesel fumes), but that cleared up very quickly once we exited the tunnel. Remember, if you feel the need for fresh air periodically throughout the trip, just ask an attendant when the smoke stops will be. You can get out and walk around the platform (just don't go too far).

I'm not guaranteeing that it's the same on every car. And also the airflow isn't terribly strong. But I really think you won't have any problems unless there's something nasty outside (in which case you WILL smell it).

I'm not guaranteeing that it's the same on every car. And also the airflow isn't terribly strong. But I really think you won't have any problems unless there's something nasty outside (in which case you WILL smell it).
oh that's cool, thank you

most things dont bother me - it's just a temporary medical issue (Lyme Disease) that affects blood oxygen, so Co2 is my only real concern

I can't find the info, A guy who used to do work on the Superliner has mention on the air % of air mixture that brings fresh air onto the cars. On the trips I've been on, I know there fresh air brought on since I smelled some things that we've passed by.

I guess it is time for me to chime in on this topic, TraneMan as I worked on the Superliners since they came out and taught HVAC (Heat,Ventilation,& Air Conditioning)for Amtrak. Yes there is a very frequent exchange of air. If the ambient temperature is between 105 Degrees F and -10 Degrees F you will find the the air in the car will be completely renewed in approximately two minutes. This is contingent on all doors remaining closed. The outside air intakes are on the very end of the car body, one per side. I will also note that the interior car return air vents are located on the upper level next to the end doors. This can cause a bad smell if the doors are open and a smell in emitted it will be pushed through entire car. It is part of the attendants procedure shut off all ventilation fans prior to entering a tunnel. The passengers are asked not to walk from car to car in tunnels as this can cause the diesel exhaust to enter a car.

oldtmer aka Al

OldTimer - thank you very much! This forum is awesome. I am getting the low-down from an Amtrak HVAC expert. Much appreciated!

Completely renewed every 2 minutes? way better than an airplane!

Corporate air travel is not a bad deal, either. Some aircraft are built to withstand a pressure differential of 5,000' cabin altitude vs a 41,000' real altitude (much better than commercial). That, and the fact that most corporate jets travel with only three passengers...

Corporate air travel is not a bad deal, either. Some aircraft are built to withstand a pressure differential of 5,000' cabin altitude vs a 41,000' real altitude (much better than commercial). That, and the fact that most corporate jets travel with only three passengers...
Good point. I will have to look into that further - i assume you mean private jets?. I just know that i wont be travelling commercial anytime soon - 2000 ppm Co2 kills me with that 'asphyxiated' feel. I cant stand it for 5 minutes, let alone a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back