How fast is the train moving?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a window seat, time how long it takes to pass from one milage sign to the next. In NY, those signs resemble tombstones, in other states, they are metal. 60 sec = 60 mph (a mile a minute), 30 sec = 120 mph (not too likely) 45 sec = 90 mph. etc etc. The Lake Shore limited hits 90 on occasion.
unsure.gif

If you have a window seat, time how long it takes to pass from one milage sign to the next. In NY, those signs resemble tombstones, in other states, they are metal. 60 sec = 60 mph (a mile a minute), 30 sec = 120 mph (not too likely) 45 sec = 90 mph. etc etc. The Lake Shore limited hits 90 on occasion.
unsure.gif
Or, fire up your GPS on your smartphone............

But I too like the "old fashioned" way, way better. You might actually SEE something looking out the window.

unsure.gif
LSL actually hits upto 110 on occasions between Hudson and Albany. It hit 108 yesterday on my trip back from Utica to New York.

Of the LD trains LSL has the highest max speed outside of the NEC and Keystone Corridor. In addition, Albany to Schenectady is about to get 110mph double track funded out of ARRA.

If they ever get around to fixing Chicago to porter then that will be another segment where LSL could get upto 110, as could the Cap. Progressively the Empire Corridor will start getting the third track capable of 110mph. Negotiations are ongoing between the state of New York and CSX as we speak.

If they ever get around to fixing Chicago to porter then that will be another segment where LSL could get upto 110, as could the Cap. Progressively the Empire Corridor will start getting the third track capable of 110mph. Negotiations are ongoing between the state of New York and CSX as we speak.
Actually, aren't the Superliners limited to a max speed of 100 MPH?

Actually, aren't the Superliners limited to a max speed of 100 MPH?
Yeah, you're right. So at least theoretically LSL (and the Michigan Corridor trains) will be faster than CL on that segment if that segment does get upgraded.

unsure.gif
Actually, 45 seconds is 80 mph. Ninety mph would be 40 seconds per mile.

I heard from several sources including Amtrak crew members that the Superliners are good for 125 MPH.

I heard that the Southwest Chief was the fastest train outside the NEC, because of the superior signaling on the former Santa Fe tracks. Or is the SWC the fastest train "west" of the mississippi?

I thought the LSL was considered one of the slower trains because of the tracks west of cleveland.

Quote from above: "Actually, 45 seconds is 80 mph. Ninety mph would be 40 seconds per mile."

The way I figured it, 60 sec. = 60 mph. Half that time, 30 sec would twice the speed, 120 mph. 45 sec is half way between these two times, so the speed for 45 sec. should be half way between 60 and 120, or 90 mph.
excl.gif

I heard that the Southwest Chief was the fastest train outside the NEC, because of the superior signaling on the former Santa Fe tracks. Or is the SWC the fastest train "west" of the mississippi?

I thought the LSL was considered one of the slower trains because of the tracks west of cleveland.
It's tied for the fastest train west of the Mississippi. The Michigan service (Wolverine Service/Blue Water) operates 5 mph faster between Kalamazoo and New Buffalo, MI.

Quote from above: "Actually, 45 seconds is 80 mph. Ninety mph would be 40 seconds per mile."

The way I figured it, 60 sec. = 60 mph. Half that time, 30 sec would twice the speed, 120 mph. 45 sec is half way between these two times, so the speed for 45 sec. should be half way between 60 and 120, or 90 mph.
excl.gif
Except that the graph of speed vs. time is not linear.

Using the above logic, if you double your speed from 120 to 240, you'd cover a mile in 15 seconds. Since 30 seconds is halfway between 15 and 45 seconds, then the speed for a 30-second mile should be halfway between 80 and 240 mph, or 160 mph, except that it's not (as noted, it's 120 mph).

Last edited by a moderator:
Try the formula on a calculator. It is based on the number of seconds per mile versus the number of seconds in an hour. It works.

It's tied for the fastest train west of the Mississippi. The Michigan service (Wolverine Service/Blue Water) operates 5 mph faster between Kalamazoo and New Buffalo, MI.
I've heard it phrased as being the only LD train able to break 79 MPH (obviously incorrect per the NYP-ALB stuff).

Just wondering, but what are those NY state upgrades likely to do to LSL travel times? The current average speed on that segment is 60 MPH ALB-BUF (290 miles in 4:50); 65 MPH would yield 4:27, 70 MPH would yield 4:08, and 75 MPH would yield 3:52), but I can't guess what average speed they'd expect to be able to achieve with those track improvements. Even so...knocking an hour off the trip time would be big, though it would come off the CHI end rather than the NYP end because of the slow Boston section.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard it phrased as being the only LD train able to break 79 MPH (obviously incorrect per the NYP-ALB stuff).
Part of the source of the confusion is that in the 60s most of the heavy duty higher speed stuff was out west, and very little in the east. Then in the minds of people, with NECIP, speeds on the NEC overtook the speeds out west, while speeds out west generally went down. But the other upgrades in the east got lost in the noise. Also since Santa Fe was the only major road out west that did not tear down their ATS thus enabling 90 mph running, it stayed in the minds of people as an outstanding high speed route.

For example in '65 the highest average speed of a point to point run was between Aurora and Rochelle (~86mph), and there was no average point to point run even worth a mention on the NEC. All of PRR's high speed runs were on the Fort Wayne Line. Fast forward to today.... the highest point to point average is in New Jersey, and AFAIK there is no average run above 80mph outside of the NEC. Of course the latter may be about to change.

Just wondering, but what are those NY state upgrades likely to do to LSL travel times? The current average speed on that segment is 60 MPH ALB-BUF (290 miles in 4:50); 65 MPH would yield 4:27, 70 MPH would yield 4:08, and 75 MPH would yield 3:52), but I can't guess what average speed they'd expect to be able to achieve with those track improvements. Even so...knocking an hour off the trip time would be big, though it would come off the CHI end rather than the NYP end because of the slow Boston section.
The ballpark aspirations are NYP - ALB in 2 hours and ALB - BUF in 4 hours or less with 3 hours mentioned as a stretch goal. But as you can imagine this will take a while to achieve, specially between ALB and BUF, and of necessity will be achieved in numerous small steps rather than in one fell swoop.

One thing to remember is that the ALB - BUF run currently has as much as an hour's worth of padding in many schedules, to account for freight interference. Just constructing a 3rd track at critical points, as is being done on an 11 mile stretch, in and of itself will enable reduction of the padding even if the third track is the same 79mph. The currently planned 3rd track is 110mph though. Also the second track AlB - SDY will remove passenger train congestion which should enable removal of a bit more of the padding.

I heard from several sources including Amtrak crew members that the Superliners are good for 125 MPH.
That was my understanding as well. However I was also under the impression that the ancient baggage cars currently in use would still prevent the vast majority of Superliner trains from surpassing much more than 90MPH or so. Even if you replaced the trucks I don't think that would be enough to allow the baggage cars to reach 125MPH. That's the thing about Amtrak; you remove one restriction only to reveal yet another and another and another. America's passenger rail network is a wonderful mess of overlapping limits and complications that's interesting to consider but not so great to routinely depend upon. Or at least that's my view on the subject.

That was my understanding as well. However I was also under the impression that the ancient baggage cars currently in use would still prevent the vast majority of Superliner trains from surpassing much more than 90MPH or so.
Superliners currently are restricted to 100mph. Baggage cars are restricted to 110mph. :)

The new bilevel Corridor Cars are speced for 125mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back