I know I need a trip when?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillVas

Service Attendant
I was thinking the other night, that I love to travel, but will only do it by train or car. NO Planes for me.

I can tell when it iis time to book Amtrak when I start thinking some of these thoughs.

1. I get into bed and wonder why the bed is not moving like an amtrak train.

2. That I miss light coming thru those Amtrak curtains for the sleepr compartments.

3. I start smelling the coffee that is made by the car attendant for the wake up calls.

4. I wonder how I can move my bed parallel to the window so I can look out while I sleep as in my compartment.

5. The thought of an Amtrak berth seems softer than the bed i am using.

6. Even the breakfast they serve starts to sound good.

What makes you take a trip???

Bill

This is me writing...the one who said she was hanging up her suitcase and didn't want to travel anymore. It's been only two months and I'm missing the sight of America's back yards zooming past the window. I'm missing the coziness of my coach seat, which becomes my own little island. I'm missing the sound of the wheels hitting the tracks. I'm missing the excitement of being in or stopped at a railroad station.

Maybe it's time to think about another trip...not take one. Just think about it.

I know I'm ready for a trip when I'm depressed that due to scheudling constraints, I have to fly to a hearing in MSP instead of riding the EB.

I know I'm ready for a trip when I'm depressed that the judge granted my change of venue motion from New York City to Boston. No Acela First Class trip on the client's nickel.

Both of those happened to me this last week.

Rick

NEAT THREAD IDEA!

I can tell when I need another trip when:

1) I start having that recurring dream that I'm at BAL Penn Station (or a station that resembles it) awaiting a train for a journey.

2) When trucks and busses zipping past my office window start to sound "tinny" like the car trucks rolling over interlockings.

3) When I start to get the craving for Amtrak Coffee, or even worse, when I get the craving for Amtrak Hashbrowns only available on LD trains.

4) When I get bored and hotwire a hotel room in another city, just to give me the excuse to go there and return by train (already done in PGH for late March) so that I still have something concrete to look forward to.

I know it is time for a trip when I have stepped off the train.

When I walk by the P42s on my way into the terminal at Chicago. Especially when two big LD trains are parked on either side of the platform and I get the 'double rumble'. No matter what happened on the journey, I'm ready to go again.

I was thinking the other night, that I love to travel, but will only do it by train or car. NO Planes for me. I can tell when it iis time to book Amtrak when I start thinking some of these thoughs.

2. That I miss light coming thru those Amtrak curtains for the sleepr compartments.

3. I start smelling the coffee that is made by the car attendant for the wake up calls.

4. I wonder how I can move my bed parallel to the window so I can look out while I sleep as in my compartment.

Bill
I know it's time for a train ride when it seems like everyone is getting on my nerves. I start spending alot of time on the Amtrak website. Looking for places to go that the train will take me. I spend lots of time looking for discount codes so I can ride further.

I know it is time when I still want to pay more to take a train than I would to fly. I hate flying anyhow.

I know it is time when it is Christmastime and I get the urge to go somewhere and I can't so I start planning my train part of the trip. I come on this site again and try to relive the past and hope for the future. LOL

It will be time for an Amtrak trip when I finish up work on two class projects, one of which is a 25 page paper, another of which includes a presentation and 10 page paper. I'm so close to getting a top grade for at least one class that when the work is turned in on Wednesday 12/13, I'll contineu to be on "pins and needles" until my grades are posted.

Praying mightily.

I have that feeling everyday,

When I am boarding my Metra train home to Aurora and I see passengers boarding their Amtrak trains at the same time. But my Wife and I are planning to take the CNO next fall to New Orleans and I'm getting too excited thinking about it now, so I'll get back to work!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know its time for an Amtrak trip when I lay in bed at night and hear the train horn sounding from a mile or so away and I envision its my train and I'm in my sleeping compartment.

I know its time for an Amtrak trip when I start going to the library to check out railroading books such as Twilight of Steam, Journey to Amtrak, The Last Boll Weevil, etc.

I know its time for an Amtrak trip when I log onto the Amtrak website and begin to randomly select destinations simply to see how much it would cost me to get there.

I was thinking the other night, that I love to travel, but will only do it by train or car. NO Planes for me.

I can tell when it iis time to book Amtrak when I start thinking some of these thoughs.

Bill
I know it's time for a train ride when it seems like everyone is getting on my nerves. I start spending alot of time on the Amtrak website. Looking for places to go that the train will take me. I spend lots of time looking for discount codes so I can ride further.

This is one of the ways I know its time for a trip:) There are sometimes when it doesn't even take folks getting on my nerves before I start surfing the Amtrak site. Sometimes I just I just look for an excuse for a trip.

Deimos

Last edited by a moderator:
....I know I need a trip when-- its been 14 years since my last time on Amtrak and the wife wants to see momsy back in NJ.

I get to take that trip next week, 12/21/2006 from LAK to NWK and back. WOOHOO !

CC

I knew I needed a trip about a week after stepping off the SWC and had time to review my pictures in more detail. There are many things I wanted to see again right away. Oh, well, must stay patient...

Bill

This is one of the ways I know its time for a trip:) There are sometimes when it doesn't even take folks getting on my nerves before I start surfing the Amtrak site. Sometimes I just I just look for an excuse for a trip.

Deimos
I know it is time when you are looking for a trip to take when what you want is half price. The sleeper upgrade on the capital limited was going for $108. it was $208 just last week. I checked other dates and it still was at that price so I upgraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back