Interview on Wednesday

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I have an interview on Wednesday with Amtrak here in NOL regarding an Assistant Conductor position that I have applied for. I am extremely excited to say the least. My recent four-night rail journey proved to me once and for all that I feel "at home" on the rails. I sure hope that I get the chance to join the Amtrak team. :)

Just look out for the Road Foreman up there, Matt tells me he can be pretty wicked. At least you've got an Assistant Superintendent there that's been in the business for a long time and knows what he's doing.

Guest said:
Miami Joe said:
Good luck!!! :)
and never a dull moment!!!! :lol:

MJ B)
LOL..............ain't that the truth!!!......... :lol: :lol: :D
I posted as a guest as I was in a hurry, and forgot to put in my name. Anyway, there is no such thing as a dull moment out in the field! Here, you can truely say you have seen it all, and something will come up and prove you haven't seen it all yet! Good luck to you, and I wish you the best. Let us know how you do, and whether ya get the job or not. :)

Thanks for all the words of encouragement! Having worked in the airline industry for the past 3+ years, nothing surprises me anymore. :)

Thanks again and i'll be sure to tell you guys the outcome.

Steve/New Orleans

I guess I jumped the gun. It was actually a testing session. 90 multiple choice questions on math calculations, vocabulary, comprehension, etc.

I know I did really well on it. I was the only one there dressed professionally (6 people were there in all). I hope things work out. I figure I have a very good chance.

Yeah, those pretest questions are nothing. I took those a little over a year ago. I choked on both interviews though and never got the job. What's weird is that Oakland and San Diego both interviewed me for the Asst. Conductor position, but Los Angeles wouldn't saying I wasn't qualified for the position. Best of luck to you though. A lot of the questions are "Tell us about a time when you handled an emergency situation." or "Tell us about a time you thought you gave someone good customer service." When they ask you what you would do in certain situations tell them that you would need to know what the company policy is for dealing with those specific situations. Don't read into the questions and go off on a tangent, just tell them what they want to hear and you'll do fine. Let us know how it goes.

-Firebert

NativeSon: You wrote that you were the only one there who dressed in a professional fashion?!? *** were the other applicants thinking?

Good luck in getting the job. Watch out for the back-stabbers, though, and try to stay out of the office politics.

Firebert: You list several items that are good advice for several differnt positions in several differnt types of employment. Thank you.

WICT106 said:
NativeSon: You wrote that you were the only one there who dressed in a professional fashion?!? *** were the other applicants thinking?
Good luck in getting the job. Watch out for the back-stabbers, though, and try to stay out of the office politics.

Firebert: You list several items that are good advice for several differnt positions in several differnt types of employment. Thank you.
I have office politics up the caboose where i work. I'm a teacher. That is why I donlt want to work on the railraod, because those idiots would probably ruin it for me. Now, I use train trips to escape from the office politics. :D

Seriously, I hope you get the job and that things go well.

Well, I had my interview today at the NOL offices. I think it went very well. I'll know something by the end of the week one way or the other. If hired, 8 weeks of training in Wilmington starting on 10/4. They said i'd be doing NOL to Greenwood, Houston, and Pensacola runs on the Sunset and City of NO.

Now the nail biting starts! :)

Good Luck NativeSon, we are all hoping for the best. Amtrak would be lucky to have someone like you working for them.

Hey battalion, thanks a lot man, that's mighty nice of you. Next time you're in NOL be sure to let me know. Once again thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement.

Just to give you guys an update....

It appears that Amtrak has chosen not to hire me for the position. After my interview last Monday (which I thought went extremely well), I was told that I would hear something either way by the end of the week, since the training program begins on 10/4. Well, I didn't hear anything all last week, so yesterday morning I called the HR rep in Chicago who was one of the people who interviewed me. He was not there so I left a brief message basically asking if I needed to do anything else, and also thanking him for the chance to interview with Amtrak. Thus far I have yet to hear back from him, so at this point I can sort of read the writing on the wall so to speak. I guess there is still a faint chance that I could get the call, but with each passing day, the odds get smaller and smaller.

Such is life. All I can do is hold my head up high and be proud of the fact that I really made a strong effort to better my career.

NativeSon5859 said:
Just to give you guys an update....
It appears that Amtrak has chosen not to hire me for the position. After my interview last Monday (which I thought went extremely well), I was told that I would hear something either way by the end of the week, since the training program begins on 10/4. Well, I didn't hear anything all last week, so yesterday morning I called the HR rep in Chicago who was one of the people who interviewed me. He was not there so I left a brief message basically asking if I needed to do anything else, and also thanking him for the chance to interview with Amtrak. Thus far I have yet to hear back from him, so at this point I can sort of read the writing on the wall so to speak. I guess there is still a faint chance that I could get the call, but with each passing day, the odds get smaller and smaller.

Such is life. All I can do is hold my head up high and be proud of the fact that I really made a strong effort to better my career.
Well, don't give up, yet. Your training class is in October, but when in October? They may wait and let you know only about a week or two before the training class starts. That is pretty much what they did with me. In the span of a week or so, I went to have my drug test on Tuesday. Then I had to quit my old job on that Friday in the same week, and then be present some four hundred miles away from home for training class on the following Monday. Usually if they spend money on you for a drug test, you are in unless results come back not-so-good. Remember, Amtrak does just about everything at the last minute, and a little differently than most companies do! Anyway, keep trying the guy/gal who interviewed you or in charge of HR, and get confirmation that you were or were not considered. If the latter is true, then keep trying to get your foot in the door. Good luck!! Out!!! :)

Guest said:
He said it starts Monday, 10/4.
oops, misread that!...... LOL.......

Anyway, keep tryin' as other oportunities may arise! Don't give up. You may be surprised at comes your way. In other words, stay in good with those you have dealt with on the inside of Amtrak so far. You just have to make sure "they" know you are interested in employment with the company.

Back