Is having no chef on the CONO permanent?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see, JUST ONCE, Amtrak "experiment" in the OTHER direction. That is, Charge a little premium, or a lot, and provide Pax with all, well, at least "many" of the amenities that they once had. Fresh cooked food, china, linen, chocolates at turn-down, yada, yada, yada. It's hard to believe, that with almost 100% of the passengers pre-reserved, they couldn't pull a staffer from the extra board to accommodate this. Of course the china, linen, etc, would have to limited to one train, but I'd love to read the reviews THOSE pax might write......... SHM
Isn't that called the Coast Starlight? They still have China, glassware, linen table cloths (without butcher paper). Fresh fruit in the sleepers. Enhanced entrees in the parlour car (organic entree salad at lunch, lamb shank at dinner).

I'd like to see, JUST ONCE, Amtrak "experiment" in the OTHER direction. That is, Charge a little premium, or a lot, and provide Pax with all, well, at least "many" of the amenities that they once had. Fresh cooked food, china, linen, chocolates at turn-down, yada, yada, yada. It's hard to believe, that with almost 100% of the passengers pre-reserved, they couldn't pull a staffer from the extra board to accommodate this. Of course the china, linen, etc, would have to limited to one train, but I'd love to read the reviews THOSE pax might write......... SHM
Isn't that called the Coast Starlight? They still have China, glassware, linen table cloths (without butcher paper). Fresh fruit in the sleepers. Enhanced entrees in the parlour car (organic entree salad at lunch, lamb shank at dinner).
I'm not sure I'd call the CS a "test" as much as hold-over from when they had a kick-ass route manager, and some latitude to do things differently. Plus, nowhere else, on any LD, will you have the opportunity to have a First Class, (or I guess we'd have to call it "Sleeper Only") lounge, except maybe the AT, but who know how THAT will shake out........

"YES" it cost a lot to travel sleeper class on Amtrak in LD now, especially during peak periods. But I am among the, I think, growing number of passengers who are not willing to shell out the big bucks, just for a space to sleep horizontally. (Meaning, no amenities, reduced service, re-heated food served on plastic, etc., etc.)

I am sticking with my mantra, "If I pay first class prices, I expect first class treatment and service". WTH is wrong with that? Maybe nothing, but none of the Amtrak LD trains are on the list of trains I want to experience, maybe because I've been on every one, at least a few times. My thinking now is, "I'd rather travel less, at a higher cost, but at a much higher level of service." IRT here I come.......

I loved the CONO when it was run right, short overnight, two great cities, and had the amenities of a full diner, and lounge that was never, usually, too packed. Now, SWA all the time baby, SWA all the time....

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless something has changed recently I'm pretty sure it's not actual China or actual linen. Nonetheless it's nice to see that a few remnants of the old ways remain in an era that is otherwise racing to the bottom of the service scale.

Unless something has changed recently I'm pretty sure it's not actual China or actual linen. Nonetheless it's nice to see that a few remnants of the old ways remain in an era that is otherwise racing to the bottom of the service scale.
Sorry.... "Ceramic" plates and "cloth" table cloths. Or is it technically cloth? Ok "fabric" table cloths.

Would you propose higher prices for all passengers, coach and sleeper, higher prices for sleeper only, or higher prices for those paying for diner service only? I think all of these would fail today unless there are more filthy rich people willing to just give money away than I think there are.

Would you propose higher prices for all passengers, coach and sleeper, higher prices for sleeper only, or higher prices for those paying for diner service only? I think all of these would fail today unless there are more filthy rich people willing to just give money away than I think there are.
I rather think the idea was higher prices in exchange for a superior level of service - in other words, pay more to get more (as opposed to the more typical pay more for less than you used to get that we too often see today); The suggestion was not simply to raise prices for everyone (there is indeed a breaking point with that approach, and we're at the precipice already).

Higher prices for a premium service is not giving money away. You pay more for Hampton Inn than for Motel6, but there are very good reasons for that, and many (most?) guests would argue it is worth it. Similarly, if you want to offer 'business class' on a train you should be able to charge a premium - but it also has to offer something desirable you don't get with the basic service. Of course, most passengers will continue to opt for the lower-priced coach option, but even there increased amenities (wi-fi, better food service and quality, etc.) can provide a justification for higher prices which passengers will then be willing to pay.

let 'em have it with both barrels, george. and good luck
Sigh. I broke down and sent an email because I couldn't find an address to which I could send a letter.

I complained about the overworked staff (through no fault of their own), the mediocre quality of the food (something I could get out of a can of Campbell's) the rushed service, etc.

Today I received a "response"

Dear Mr. K

Thank you for your email.

Amtrak welcomes feedback from customers, as it helps us to focus our efforts to improve service. We hope that you will accept our sincere apologies for the lack of adequate service during your recent trip. We understand the importance of providing proper service to our passengers. It is disappointing to hear that your experience was different. We have entered your concerns into our customer database. You can rest assured that information has been shared with the responsible managers for review and any necessary corrective action.

Please accept our apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience this has caused. For future reference, whenever you have concerns with your dining car, café or lounge purchases, please speak with the lounge attendant, conductor or other available crew member. Please be assured that train crew members are instructed to make every effort to rectify any incidents of dissatisfaction on board when they are brought to their attention.

Once again, thank you for contacting us. We strive at Amtrak to deliver a comfortable and enjoyable travel experience for all of our customers. Our guiding principles are to provide a safer, greener, healthier and better connected passenger rail system.

We look forward to serving you in the future aboard Amtrak.

Sincerely,

C

Amtrak Customer Relations
IOW, we have no response. :angry:

Form letter, Corporate speak George!

Call Customer Relations and let a real person know your concerns about what the desk jockey bean counters have done to the City! ( and other LD Trains also!)

"Corp-Speak."

Of course it was. And that's what, um.....made me angry (insert your favorite epithet for being angry).

Is there a physical address to which I can send a letter?

This is old, dunno if still accurate. Ryan?

Customer Relations
AMTRAK, National Railroad Passenger Corporation
60 Massachusetts Avenue N.E.
Washington, D.C. 20002-4225

Isn't that what Iowa Pacific / Pullamn Rail Travel are doing. Of course that's not really Amtrak but its on an Amtrak train and I'm sure Amtrak are taking note and drawing their conclusions.

Customer Relations

I'll wait for Ryan's reply before I heat up my word processor. Thanks for the help!

Hi George--Here is my translation of the corporate-speak reply you got:

Dear Mr. K:

We love getting feedback from customers. We have shared your comments with those in the office responsible for the changes that led to your miserable passenger experience. Every once in a while, we read passengers' letters aloud around the coffee pot (which is, of course, on all day in our office) and get a good chuckle out of them.

We of course tell you to complain to the crew members. The good ones aren't much happier than the passengers about a lot of our changes, but since they were foolish enough to take jobs where they actually meet the passengers, we like to stick them with the problems we created.

As you know, Amtrak was originally set up to fail. Why do you passengers insist on taking the train and trying to make it better? Can't you just go away and take VIA Rail or AAF or IP and let us get on with our mission of destroying Amtrak?

Sincerely, Customer Service

[sorry, I've been doing a lot of serious work in the office, and I just couldn't resist this on a Friday afternoon! :p ]

Customer Relations

I'll wait for Ryan's reply before I heat up my word processor. Thanks for the help!
I'm not sure about the ZIP, but that'll get it to Amtrak and they can figure it out from there.

Taking suggestions:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

14 November, 2015

Customer Relations

Gentlemen,

I was a passenger on Amtrak’s City of New Orleans this month. My wife and I rode from Chicago to New Orleans, departing on November 1st (reservation XXXXXX) with a return to Chicago on November 7th (reservation XXXXXX). This was our second trip to New Orleans this year, and it was quite the revelation to see the decline in the level of service in 9 short months.

My greatest concerns revolve around the change in services in the Dining Car. My wife, who had never traveled on a long distance train until last March, was delighted with the level of service and the quality of food in the dining car. We both enjoyed the “Amtrak Signature Steak” (she prefers hers well-done, I prefer medium-rare). Our staff was attentive, pleasant and cheerful. The quality of the food was certainly a cut above what one would expect for a transportation company! For us, travel by rail is part of the vacation, and a wonderful dinner, leaving Chicago made that trip special. Our breakfast the following morning kept the expectations up, and our Sleeping Car Attendant (Rion Wilson) helped make the trip south memorable in the best way. Our return trip was also wonderful, dinner and breakfast headed North were again fantastic.

Therefore, it is with some sadness that I cannot make the same comments about the experience this November. Upon leaving Chicago, we were seated in the dining car, and we were surprised to see that there had been significant changes made to the menu. When I asked the staff about the reason for the change, I was told that there was no longer a cook/chef on the train, and that all food was pre-cooked and reheated by the staff of the dining car. The dining staff was accompanied by our Sleeping Car Attendant, who was helping seat patrons, serve tables, clean tables. It was obvious that the staff was overworked and frantic. The train was sold out that day, and it was obvious that the staff could barely keep up with the influx of passengers.

The meal that was served was quite a disappointment. I elected to have the chicken and sausage jambalaya. The sausage was acceptable, though the chicken was a bit rubbery. The broccoli that accompanied the meal was just sad – overcooked, wilted, and without flavor. The cheesecake that I had enjoyed in March (and on other trains last year) was nowhere to be found. Instead, a cheesecake-like material in a small crust was served. The next morning, breakfast was a disappointment as well. No more omelets, scrambled eggs were available. Several of the selections were already unavailable – at 7:30 in the morning. We skipped lunch.

Our return to Chicago continued the dining disappointment. Though the dining car was not as full as on the southbound trip, the meal was no better. I had the beef tips – they reminded me of something that I could get at home by opening a can of Campbell’s something-or-other with a side of bland polenta. We were also disappointed to find that breakfast on the return trip was only a “Continental” breakfast: muffins or cereal with coffee and tea. Our northbound trip in March was quite different.

Please do not take this letter as a criticism of the staff who were obviously doing their best to work under poor conditions with limited resources. They were friendly, helpful and professional.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

George K

Perhaps add in something about how the changes will impact your likelihood to choose Amtrak in the future and your likelihood to recommend Amtrak to friends and family? If they get enough pushback that it's actually driving people away, that's important.

Excellent comment, Ryan.

As you probably know, I'm a relative newcomer to Amtrak (though 10 LD trains in 13 months counts for something, I suppose). Even after my first LD trip last year (CHI-PDX), I've been praising the service and meals (photos included) to my colleagues at work.

Usual comment: "Whoa! I had no idea. Sure beats flying!"

Yeah, I'll throw your comment in, to be sure.

[SIZE=12pt]Since my first long distance trip last year, I have been praising Amtrak for its service and amenities to friends, colleagues and associates. However, after my experiences last week, I can no longer do so. My recommendations for Amtrak travel will have to include a comment that, though the travel is wonderful, cutbacks in funding have caused a deterioration in quality of meals and service. I will certainly consider these factors in recommendations in the future for friends and family.[/SIZE]

Unless you're sure everyone in corporate customer relations is a man, I'd change "Gentlemen" to something more neutral. "To Whom it May Concern" is so bleh, though; I usually use "Greetings".

I like the addition about affecting future travel decisions.

My only other suggestion would be careful not to make the letter too long/wordy. Try to get to the point, so your point is not lost amongst the wordage and unnecessary information...

I rode the CONO last week, and the dining service is simply forlorn. It is still nice to sit in a dining car and be served, but yeah, those beef tips are sad, and the Wizard of Oz cook/waiter/maitre d borders on the absurd. He rather gamely tried to handle about 16 people at once for lunch, but you could tell he was about to crack. And I don't recall ever seeing my SCA pitch in. I can complain to Amtrak, but I doubt they like it either; they are under irrational pressure from Congress that doesn't understand the economics of a passenger train.

The private Pullman is an option, and I have ridden it twice. However, the price has now risen to above what I think it's worth, so I went with CONO. Plus, it is now only once a week each way now, and I am getting the sense that at some point they are going to discontinue regular service and do spot runs as they are doing to other destinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back