LA Layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronkstevens

Service Attendant
As a part of my cross country trip later this year I will be arriving in LA on the Sunset Limited and departing the same day on the Southwest Chief. With all of that down time in between the 5:35am arrival and 6:15pm departure, I was thinking about a short trip on the Pacific Surfliner since trips to the west coast for me are rare. I'm worried about timeliness since I absolutely have to be on the SWC that night. Any advice from people in that area? Or would I be better just to rent a car for the day and see some of the local sights instead?

My trip BTW is going to be a 6000+ mile journey: PHL-NOL-LAX-FLG-Grand Canyon Railroad-FLG-CHI-WAS-PHL

I am meeting other people in FLG, then we are going over to Williams the following day. I was going to get off in Williams, but it wasn't going to work out that way

Surfliner out-and-back is very reasonable. The lines they are on are subject to little interference from freight traffic, so they tend to keep to the published schedules. Main challenge is they are usually full during commuter hours, so be flexible.

Lunch or dinner during the layover? "Philippe" is a great restaurant with local color, across the street and a couple of blocks north of LAX - http://www.philippes.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
A Surfliner ride is definitely a good idea. You can leave your luggage in the Metro Lounge, have breakfast @_Philippe

and then jump on a Surfliner! I recommend San Juan Capistrano or Oceanside as neat places to layover, San Diego is a little far and doesn't give you much layover time.

Another thought is riding the Subway all over LA, it leaves right out of Union Station, the Red Line to downtown LA and to Holllywood is a great way to spend the day also!

Either Surfliner direction would be great. A nice ride up to Santa Barbara would afford some time in the city and on the pier. But you have a longer trip there and only one good southbound around 1:45pm to get you back to LA with plenty of breathing room. You could probably opt to go south to San Juan Capistrano or Oceanside, spend some time on the beach and then get back to LA in time for your SWC. Check the Amtrak TTs and select the ride and your comfort zone as to which way you would want to go.

Thanks I'll keep Sunset Crater in mind. I am arriving on the SWC on a Tuesday morning, and my wife will be flying into Flagstaff around 11:30am. We aren't going to the Grand Canyon until Wednesday

I was thinking of going south on the Pacific Surfliner, instead of north. Just the one train south (784, arrives in LA @4:55) is a bit too close to my 6:15 departure on the SWC, since I know I can't miss it. If it was a connection that I was more familiar with maybe I wouldn't be so nervous about it. (I have booked 12 minute connections before with a good success rate; but I also know that if I miss it there is another train in an hour or so)

If you carry all of your luggage with you on the Pacific Surfliner towards San Diego, then you could probably detrian from the NB surfliner at Fullerton and catch the EB SWC there, if it appeared that the late-running Surfliner might misconnect with the SWC in LAUPT.

I would go with the flow and take a Surfliner either north or south from LAX.

I do not recommend renting a car and driving around L.A. to see local sights. :(

I would usually be ok with a 4:55 arrival, though I do understand what you are worrying about. Surfliners rarely (very rarely) are delayed by more than an hour. #579, the train i'm riding to catch the SWC (look at signature!) arrives LA at 4:25, but today something happened at SD and it arrives just past 5:30.

For going to San Juan Capistrano (or other points north of oceanside), another option is Metrolink. Metrolink is the local commuter train in the LA basin. Visit www.metrolinktrains.com. Metrolink also runs trains north to moorpark (oxnard & east ventura during peak times but that won't help here), to san bernardino, palmdale, and many others. Again, the website has all the schedules. Metrolink is also a LOT cheaper!

Also, connect at Oceanside to the Coaster, San Diego's commuter train. However, the schedules don't match a lot of the time. :(

FOOD: As others have mentioned, Philippe's is an awesome place, offering sandwiches (their specialty), breakfast, and other stuff. Located on Alameda just north of the LAUS. Also, try the shops on Olvera Street (just across Alameda from LAUS), or Central Market (get off the Red/Purple Line at Pershing Square and walk north on Hill street).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back