Lake Shore Limited this week

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzKillington

Service Attendant
Whats been wrong with the LSL lately? Seems to be losing a lot of time across NY State.

Also, today's got into ALB an hour late and stayed there for an hour and 17 minutes.

Probably a combination of CSX track work as they rush to finish the summer work and US Border patrol.

so now the US boarder patrol is boarding the LSL now. what for it goes no where near mexico. are they afraid some Canadians might try to ride it. if there going to start running late and getting into Boston at 2AM im going to turn in my tickets and go greyhound.

Last edited by a moderator:
if there going to start running late and getting into Boston at 2AM im going to turn in my tickets and go greyhound.
Have you ever under-reacted to a situation? :blink:
lets see getting into Boston at 2am is not a ideal time when you got a hotel revvy and have to be at the station at 8am the next day for the gathering train rides. what does the border patrol want with the LSL. it does not cross the border. its not near the Canadian border. i will react how i want. the LSL is not known as the late for sure limited for nothing. track work is one thing but i don't need to get into boston at 2AM cause some border guards decided they need a extra train to inspect. if you don't like me overeacting they put me on ignore thats what its there for. i get a few on that list already.

When Homeland Security boarded the Cardinal I was on in April, they got on at one stop and off at the next stop. There was no delay. They rode the train with us.
Boy how I wish that border patrol could learn how to do that. It makes no sense to delay 300 in the hopes of catching 1 illegal.

so now the US boarder patrol is boarding the LSL now. what for it goes no where near mexico. are they afraid some Canadians might try to ride it.
Under US law, the border patrol can stop any train, car, bus, truck, and bicycle that is within 100 miles of a US border. The Lake Shore spends most of its run within 100 miles of the Canadian border. They do it because people do slip across the border without going through customs, and then board trains & buses, even hitch hike to get where they want to go.

Personally I don't object to the inspections, what I object to is how they are carried out. As I mentioned to Betty in my post above, border patrol should board the train and either ride to the next stop or get off at some pre-arranged crossing down the line. Delaying 300+ people in the random hope that you catch one illegal makes no sense. Most of the stops on the LSL are at least 1 hour apart, giving border patrol more than enough time to do its job between stops.

For many years they used to do this to a few runs, like the Pacific Surfliners and the Sunset, as they were obvious choices and they did have much higher success rates on those trains. I'm guessing here, but I'd suspect that maybe for every 25 LSL's stopped they manage to fine 1 person to take off. But after 9/11 someone in the Bush administration decided that the practice should be extended to as many Amtrak trains as possible.

Originally after that decision was made, many trains were being delayed 30 minutes to an hour because of this. These days the delays are typically much less, usually 15 minutes or less. Of course if the train is already 1 hour late, 15 minutes added to that isn't helping.

During my wednesday crescent stop in Birmingham, AL there were 20 TSA agents on the platform, that was a bit of a surprise.

During my wednesday crescent stop in Birmingham, AL there were 20 TSA agents on the platform, that was a bit of a surprise.
Were they tired of hassling pax @ the airport so decided to come do the same @ the train station?Did yall have to take everything off,dump all your liquids and jells and get "selected" for special screening?I know Birmingham is known for all its International suspects,its so close to the borders! :blink: Whats next,running a drag net in that well known hot bed of terrorism Salt Lake City? :lol: When those clowns get through it wont be them that is known by 'thousands stand around" but the delayed train pax that will be known as "hundreds are delayed"!!! :angry:

Personally I don't object to the inspections, what I object to is how they are carried out. As I mentioned to Betty in my post above, border patrol should board the train and either ride to the next stop or get off at some pre-arranged crossing down the line.
Last time I rode the Lake Shore, we were boarded by Customs people twice, according both to my scanner and the Conductor. I saw them one of times. In any case, that is exactly what they did.

I hope there's no Border Patrol on the Silver service...

I'll be taking the Meteor Friday from NYP tp ORL.

The 97 has been doing quite well regarding being on or near schedule...let's see.

P.S.:Just want to say... good to be here. I've been reading the forum for a long time,but registered just a few days ago.

Regards.

Back to the OP, 8/21 seems to have been an especially bad day, with #448 more than 4 hours late into Boston. Other than that, the train seems to be running pretty well on time, with an average delay of 33 minutes. That's practically on time for a long-distance train.

so now the US boarder patrol is boarding the LSL now. what for it goes no where near mexico. are they afraid some Canadians might try to ride it.
Personally I don't object to the inspections, what I object to is how they are carried out. As I mentioned to Betty in my post above, border patrol should board the train and either ride to the next stop or get off at some pre-arranged crossing down the line. Delaying 300+ people in the random hope that you catch one illegal makes no sense. Most of the stops on the LSL are at least 1 hour apart, giving border patrol more than enough time to do its job between stops.
I'm on board with Alan on this, with one minor exception. I agree that the agents should NOT delay a train, as others have said, "Get on and ride, while doing your work".

But we as American Citizens, if we DO NOTHING, while this "inspection" is taking place, well it just condones it. You can be sure that the agents will tell you, in no uncertain terms, to "back off or be arrested". Big threat, VERY LITTLE chance of it happening. (I'm not advocating getting in there way at all, just asking them to do their job while train is under way. I would request names of all agents on board, (they HATE that) and then write a letter to supervisors, stating displeasure.

If they get enuff of these letters, they will not be as "eager" to board the trains and delay the trains in the future. If you do nothing, you get nothing.......... :eek: :eek:

P.S.:Just want to say... good to be here. I've been reading the forum for a long time,but registered just a few days ago.
Welcome @BOS!

On the TE/SL at Del Rio, TX on Monday, I saw 1 BP agent standing on the end of the platform as the train pulled in. I was in the last car, so I don't know if there were more and/or if they boarded - but they certainly did not come to the sleeper. (Illegals don't take sleepers! :rolleyes: )

I hope there's no Border Patrol on the Silver service...I'll be taking the Meteor Friday from NYP tp ORL.

The 97 has been doing quite well regarding being on or near schedule...let's see.

Regards.
Welcome! :)

I've heard of the boarding the Silver's on rare occasions, since they are still within 100 miles of a border (the Atlantic Ocean). But I suspect that they do that more when they've gotten some tip, then just in the random hope that they'll catch someone like they do with other trains.

I'm on board with Alan on this, with one minor exception. I agree that the agents should NOT delay a train, as others have said, "Get on and ride, while doing your work".
But we as American Citizens, if we DO NOTHING, while this "inspection" is taking place, well it just condones it. You can be sure that the agents will tell you, in no uncertain terms, to "back off or be arrested". Big threat, VERY LITTLE chance of it happening. (I'm not advocating getting in there way at all, just asking them to do their job while train is under way. I would request names of all agents on board, (they HATE that) and then write a letter to supervisors, stating displeasure.

If they get enuff of these letters, they will not be as "eager" to board the trains and delay the trains in the future. If you do nothing, you get nothing.......... :eek: :eek:
I'm not real sure why anyone needs the names of the agents to complain. They're only doing what they were told to do. People just need to write letters to the agency expressing their dismay and outrage at being delayed.

On the TE/SL at Del Rio, TX on Monday, I saw 1 BP agent standing on the end of the platform as the train pulled in. I was in the last car, so I don't know if there were more and/or if they boarded - but they certainly did not come to the sleeper. (Illegals don't take sleepers! :rolleyes: )
Yes, I've noticed that too and while I'm glad that I'm not being directly bothered by them, it's also profiling at its best. And they aren't supposed to be profiling. In fact, it’s against the law.

Yes, I've noticed that too and while I'm glad that I'm not being directly bothered by them, it's also profiling at its best. And they aren't supposed to be profiling. In fact, it’s against the law.
Sorry, but I think the law is stupid. The people who destroyed the World Trade Center were not red-headed Irishmen with a brogue. We know who they are, where they came from, and what they look like. I feel profiling should be allowed, but not abused.

Sorry, but I think the law is stupid. The people who destroyed the World Trade Center were not red-headed Irishmen with a brogue. We know who they are, where they came from, and what they look like. I feel profiling should be allowed, but not abused.
That time, it was that particular group of people, granted. But who is to say that, say, the IRA won't decide they hate you for some reason in the future and mount an attack? Al Qaeda does not have a monopoly on hating Americans, I can assure you.

Would you have applied the same logic after OKC? That McVeigh feller sure stuck out like a sore thumb...

And Richard Reid (the shoe bomber) was not Arabic (or even generically "Middle Eastern").

I don't know if the border patrol people are looking for illegal immigrants or drug smugglers on the LSL (frankly, the latter is much more likely), but either way, I agree that they shouldn't be profiling by focusing on coach passengers. Drug runners would probably have the cash to spring for a sleeper anyway and I assume they would value the privacy.

The Border Patrol shouldn't be boarding Amtrak trains looking for anything other than illegals. If they happen to catch an illegal alien who is also smuggling drugs, well so be it. But they shouldn't be looking for that except at an actual border crossing.

The Border Patrol shouldn't be boarding Amtrak trains looking for anything other than illegals. If they happen to catch an illegal alien who is also smuggling drugs, well so be it. But they shouldn't be looking for that except at an actual border crossing.
IIRC the law limits Border Patrol agents to looking for illegal aliens during routine stops/checks,they can use dogs and tear apart vehicles (or trains!)

if they have "reasonable reason to suspect something illegal has or will happen with the person involved and they do have full police powers anywhere in the US as Federal Agents but generally the DEA/and or TSA will be present to handle the illegal drugs and or weapons found and the border patrol would

then deal with any illegals apprehended!Good point about profiling,Timothy McVey might look like a typical "American" but looks are deceiving and our founding fathers wrote the fourth amendment for a reason,if you give any government an inch they will take a mile!The Brown shirts and the Communist thugs along with various and sundry dictators henchmen love to profile groups!Any rights given away never come back!Be polite,know your rights and dont automatically think that the cops are always right!Let them check trains around the borders but they can do it on the train like they do on the Adirondack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back