Quantcast

Large plane discussion

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

railiner

Conductor
SpaceX launched their rocket powered
RESILIENCE this evening
The 4 seater will complete the flight in
271/2 hrs. Meals are included. Future plans are for booking trips for the public.
27.5 hours? I would hope meals were included....
BTW, thats an awful long time to get to a station that could come as close as 200 miles from where you launched from...
😁

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
27.5 hours? I would hope meals were included....
BTW, thats an awful long time to get to a station that could come as close as 200 miles from where you launched from...
😁
Low energy trajectories tend to be like that.

BTW, when it was launched from KSC on the 15th the ISS was almost exactly overhead.

I was too busy watching the launch from my back porch, to bother looking for the ISS.

jiml

Conductor
Air Canada has announced plans to convert most, if not all, of their currently stored 767 fleet to freighters and launch their own cargo carrier. This will be the airline's third attempt at this, although none have been recent. The conversions could total up to 30 aircraft.

anumberone

Conductor
AU Supporter
FAA is set to certify the 737 MAX today.
The hoodoo voodoo software and MCAS System that even the chief engineer didn't understand is supposedly updated to provide a safe Aircraft. Until the next time!

Last edited:

PVD

Conductor
AU Supporter
The 767 seems to make an excellent freighter. The conversions are very popular. Lot of life left in some of those airframes in low cycle service.

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
The 737MAX is cleared to fly by the FAA, which means that they can fly wherever FAA is the ultimate authority to determine what can fly.

Now we await action by other certification authorities of the world to follow suit, allowing it to fly elsewhere in the world. Europe should follow in quick order as should Australia/NZ Japan, India and Brazil. What the Chinese will do is yet to be seen. Chinese airlines are a huge chunk of the 737MAX order base.

Devil's Advocate

Sarcastic Misanthrope
How long did it take to "discover" the previous MCAS "mistake" from EIS? If I were a regulatory agency outside the five ayes echo chamber I'd consider slow walking the approval process until a similar amount of time had passed.

anumberone

Conductor
AU Supporter
737 Max...Cleared for take off.
It’s pilots have to first get updated training...
I feel that they may learn far more than what they think they know now after a large number take the training. After seeing the same wrong reaction to situations over and over they will make more changes.

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
IMHO, the primary mistake was giving MCAS unlimited authority. That is what caused the crashes. At least that part does not exist any more. MCAS will now intervene once and then take itself out of the loop instead of insisting that the plane fly itself into the ground and making it so, unless the crew diagnosed the problem correctly in split second and spoke the proper incantation with the proper incense while pulling the proper circuit breakers, which somehow Boeing thought was a reasonable recovery procedure, and FAA concurred 🤷‍♂️ And moreover both agreed that it was not necessary to even tell the pilots of the existence of this new fangled gzmo that would unpredictably take complete control away from them unless they did the precise dance that they did not even know existed for sure.

Considering back then Boeing and FAA thought that the procedure followed was great, and they feel similarly now in a self-congratulatory mood, it gives one a bit of a pause, I must admit. At least this time they have deigned to tell the pilots and require additional training to handle the situation that might be presented to them. Boeing probably is reluctantly OK with that since the Southwest order is already in the bag. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dakota 400

Conductor
Considering back then Boeing and FAA thought that the procedure followed was great, and they feel similarly now in a self-congratulatory mood, it gives one a bit of a pause, I must admit
It's almost like 1912 again when Harland and Wolff and the White Star Line said that the Titanic was unsinkable.

jiml

Conductor
Canada will not go go along with FAA decision. Count me among those who thought they'd "rubber-stamp" it to appease Air Canada, who have a bunch of them.

tgstubbs1

Service Attendant
Canada will not go go along with FAA decision. Count me among those who thought they'd "rubber-stamp" it to appease Air Canada, who have a bunch of them.
Give them a few more days. I might bet money they will approve sometime this month.

jiml

Conductor
Update:

Air Canada has announced plans to convert most, if not all, of their currently stored 767 fleet to freighters and launch their own cargo carrier. This will be the airline's third attempt at this, although none have been recent. The conversions could total up to 30 aircraft.
The 767 seems to make an excellent freighter. The conversions are very popular. Lot of life left in some of those airframes in low cycle service.
The plan has been officially confirmed and the pilots have ratified agreement to fly the cargo-only routes.