Lounge Service on LSL from NYP to Albany

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spidersfan351

Train Attendant
It seems like a silly question, but I just noticed on the timetable that our upcoming trip west on 49 will actually not have a lounge leaving NYP. I know the Boston section has one, and I know the Diner goes with the NYP section, but I figured that the NYP section would also have a cafe (giving it two for the entire train) if only because I was under the impression that the Silver Star/Meteor/Crescent and LSL were identical consists in and out of NYP for reasons to do with interchangability. Do they just add a lounge/cafe when they convert the LSL to one of the southern trains in the winter?

It's not a huge deal, we have two roomettes, but I am curious what to expect. Any consist info?

Do they just add a lounge/cafe when they convert the LSL to one of the southern trains in the winter?
IIRC, last winter the LSL ran with a lounge car in the consist of the NYP section, but the car went unused on the LSL. It only got used when the cars were sent south as either a Silver train or as the Crescent.

I questioned this when riding from Boston several months ago. The Boston section has the active lounge. The New York section has an empty lounge car, because it seems it is interchanged with the Florida consists. It seems like a waste, but the dining car staff said it was too much trouble to switch out in NY>

Mind you the original plan when the LSL got its dining cars back, after a year or two with only Diner-Lite cars, was as follows.

NY Section gets full dining car & a staffed and operational cafe car.

Boston Section gets Diner-Lite car that would do dual duties between Boston & Albany, providing for the first time ever, sit down dinner meals for sleeping car passengers instead of cafe meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back