Meals on the Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cutecreativegal

Train Attendant
Are meals served at particular times on the train?

And also are the beds set up and put away at particular times? I'm really not a morning person, i don't really wake up early unless i have too ( i tend to have trouble sleeping...so it tough to wake up early).

Please let me know... My trip starts next week....yeahhh!!!

Thank You!

Meals in the Diner are at semi-set times - but there is a large range. For example:

• Breakfast 6:30-10 AM
  • Lunch 11 AM - 2 PM
  • Dinner 5:30-8 or so PM
As far as when beds are set or reset, it's up to the SCA, but there is much leeway given.

Meals in the Diner are at semi-set times - but there is a large range. For example:
  • Lunch 11 AM - 2 PM
As far as when beds are set or reset, it's up to the SCA, but there is much leeway given.
Ok great! Thank you!

Meal times are generally as follows, with few exceptions;

Brkfst: 6:30am - 10am

Lunch: 11:30am - 3pm, 2pm on the Empire Builder

Dinner: 5pm - 9pm

There are of course minor deviations which usually are train specific.

You may have your bed put up as early or as late as you like. Just let your sleeping car attendant know what is your preference.

And also are the beds set up and put away at particular times? I'm really not a morning person, i don't really wake up early unless i have too ( i tend to have trouble sleeping...so it tough to wake up early).

Thank You!
Aloha

Traveler has given you the correct times. What I usually do is on my way to the diner in Am and PM, is to let the Sleeping Car Attendant know at their convenience they can reset the room. Particularity after dinner I don't return to the room until I desire to sleep. The same may be true at breakfast and lunch. What is important is to be in your sleeper about the time reservations are made so that as a sleeper traveler you get the preferred times that you may want. Sometimes late seating's for meals may have items, like the specials, run out.

Enjoy

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank You!
Aloha

Traveler has given you the correct times. What I usually do is on my way to the diner in Am and PM, is to let the Sleeping Car Attendant know at their convenience they can reset the room. Particularity after dinner I don't return to the room until I desire to sleep. The same may be true at breakfast and lunch. What is important is to be in your sleeper about the time reservations are made so that as a sleeper traveler you get the preferred times that you may want. Sometimes late seating's for meals may have items, like the specials, run out.

Enjoy

Eric
Thank you!

I have an additional question, meals are included when you have a sleeper, but how do they know that you have a room? Do you have to show you ticket at dinner so that you are not charged?

Thank You!
Aloha

Enjoy

Eric
Thank you!

I have an additional question, meals are included when you have a sleeper, but how do they know that you have a room? Do you have to show you ticket at dinner so that you are not charged?
Aloha

For the most part they know you are in a sleeper from the whey you entered the Diner car, and just ask you your room number. A good safety on your part is to carry your ticket stub with you, especially if you get off the train during a smoking stop. If you do get off stay near the door as the train leaves as soon as they call "All Aboard" the SCA an/or conductor will give you how much time the train will stop, Just don't go far while stretching your legs or smoking.

• Lunch 11 AM - 2 PM
Breakfast times are driven by the projected arrival time of the train in its final destination station. A good example is the westbound Empire Builder. The EB dining car typically stops serving breakfast after it exits the Cascade tunnel through Stevens Pass.

If you are a late sleeper, but conversely don't want to miss breakfast, you can ask your sleeping car attendent to wake you at a certain time each morning.

The process you will go through in the dining room is to be given a ticket to fill out with your name, car # and room number, then sign. Rarely am I asked for proof of my room number but I always carry my ticket stub to the diner. One more point-the meals included with your sleeper room do not include tips for dining car staff.

Note: These comments are directed to the OP. Obviously, though I replied to Travelers' post, he does not need guidance on this subject. LOL.

Note: These comments are directed to the OP. Obviously, though I replied to Travelers' post, he does not need guidance on this subject. LOL.
:p

Another example is the westbound SWC. With a scheduled arrival time of 8:15 into LAX, they do not serve until 10 AM. Instead, they usually start service early (like 6 AM) and end before 7 AM! ;)

The Dining car is usually set up between coach and the sleepers. Since coach passengers can not enter the sleepers, if you enter from the sleeper end, they know you're a sleeper passenger. When you get your order check, you sign your name, car number and room number on the bottom. (Of course, coach passengers do not do this, as they have no room number!) The LSA verifies this after each meal.

Note that the actual time they call you for your lunch or dinner seating may vary somewhat from the time written on your reservation slip. You sorta have to go with the flow.

And as mentioned before, although meals are included in your sleeper ticket, you should always leave a tip based upon the menu prices of the food & drink. I'm always amazed by the number of sleeping car diners who leave either no tip or $1 for a $25+ meal.

Enjoy your adventure!

At this time, the southbound Eagle (#21), if on-time, will likely have one seating at 4:30pm (for Sleepers only) as the crew departs in AUS at 6:30pm.

If running late, they sometimes squeeze in a coach seating.

Then, since the crew is in AUS, there is not a breakfast seating for the northbound #22 either. Sleepers get a cold meal tray.

I hope this changes soon.

At this time, the southbound Eagle (#21), if on-time, will likely have one seating at 4:30pm (for Sleepers only) as the crew departs in AUS at 6:30pm.

If running late, they sometimes squeeze in a coach seating.

Then, since the crew is in AUS, there is not a breakfast seating for the northbound #22 either. Sleepers get a cold meal tray.

I hope this changes soon.
I've never ridden on or worked the TE. Does that train have only one sleeper?

Hi,

Generaly speaking, breakfast and lunch are not by reservation, ie, it's first come, first served. If the train diner is full, they will then take your name and give a call out over the PA when your seat is ready. Dinner in the evening is by reservation. The dining car staff take reservations by physicaly walking the train, starting in the sleepers. You can choose from any available time slots. When you get into the diner, the assistant will ask if you are coach or sleeper, all you need to do is relate your room and car number, and sign the form.

The sleeping car assistant should follow your wishes with regard to setting up the bed, etc.

Have a cute trip!

Ed :cool:

The estimates provided by the traveler are good but the AutoTrain is one exception. Complimentary wines, cheeses, fruit and snacks are served to all sleeping class passengers starting at 3 PM.

Dinner on that train is served at 5, 7 and 9 PM all by reservations made first come first serve. If the train is not crowded then its 5 and 7 PM only but that isn't very often. Dinner is usually very good. Continental Breakfast is served with open seating and you just show up and take a seat. The AT breakfast is the worse breakfast served on any route and no one can tell me why. Its just a roll/bagel/butter/cream cheese, cereal, Juice, maybe a piece of fruit and Coffee. Its really not that good. On other routes you can eat a full hot breakfast and the dinner food is similar.

About the bed. You can have that set up and put back anytime that you wish. We usually have it put down at 9 or 10PM and back up around 8 AM. We then go to breakfast, shower afterwards and arrive feeling rested, refreshed and not at all like an animal as with air travel. SOme people keep the bed down and sleep until the final stop. Thats up to you and you alone.

The AT breakfast is the worse breakfast served on any route and no one can tell me why.
Because of the early arrival at the destination.
Correct, it's the only way that they can feed everyone in the short amount of time they have before arrival. A cooked breakfast would leave way too many people with no food at all.

Remember, everyone on the AT gets meals, coach & sleeper.

The estimates provided by the traveler are good but the AutoTrain is one exception. Complimentary wines, cheeses, fruit and snacks are served to all sleeping class passengers starting at 3 PM. Dinner on that train is served at 5, 7 and 9 PM all by reservations made first come first serve. If the train is not crowded then its 5 and 7 PM only but that isn't very often. Dinner is usually very good.
I've seen different diner times on the AT, it all depends on the passenger loads. I've seen 5, 7:30 & 9; 5 & 7:30; 5:30 & 7:30; and I've seen the times that you've seen.

And I'm not sure if they get free wine, but the coach passengers also have complimentary snacks in their lounge car too IIRC.

Note that the actual time they call you for your lunch or dinner seating may vary somewhat from the time written on your reservation slip. You sorta have to go with the flow.
And as mentioned before, although meals are included in your sleeper ticket, you should always leave a tip based upon the menu prices of the food & drink. I'm always amazed by the number of sleeping car diners who leave either no tip or $1 for a $25+ meal.

Enjoy your adventure!
The Railroading merit badge eh?

Thank You!
Sleeping on the train is like when you were a baby and your mom rocked you to sleep in the cradle. It is a cure for my incessant insomnia, at least.

Sleeping on the train is like when you were a baby and your mom rocked you to sleep in the cradle. It is a cure for my incessant insomnia, at least.
When I sleep like a baby I wake up every two hours and cry!

;) :rolleyes: ;)
Do you need changing and a drink? :eek:

On a serious note we are taking our first Amtrak trip in just over a fortnight from NYP to MIA ETD 1515. We have a bedroom. What is the earliest we can check in at NYP lounge? Thank you for all the info I have gleaned on this site.

On a serious note we are taking our first Amtrak trip in just over a fortnight from NYP to MIA ETD 1515. We have a bedroom. What is the earliest we can check in at NYP lounge? Thank you for all the info I have gleaned on this site.

You can check in as soon as it opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back