Quantcast

Metra signs contract for new passenger cars

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant
Metra's Board of Directors approved a new contract to build 200 new cars with option(s) for up to an additional 300 cars.

Here is a link to a short video with computer generated images of the exterior and interior of the new cars:

)

Last edited:

John Bredin

OBS Chief
Pluses: Absolutely love the two doorways on each side! Also like the real second level instead of the cramped galleries of the present cars.

Possible minus: No vestibule doors is good for passenger flow but means the outside door seals better be really good, as I've seen the enclosed vestibules on some of the present cars fill up with snow in blizzard conditions.

Oddity: They don't show electric sockets at each seat, but I'm presuming in 2021 (and with Metra being pretty good about retrofitting sockets on the existing trains) that this is an oversight in the computer rendering rather than the actual cars.

20th Century Rider

Conductor
Metra's Board of Directors approved a new contract to build 200 new cars with option(s) for up to an additional 300 cars.

Here is a link to a short video with computer generated images of the exterior and interior of the new cars:

)
Beautiful cars! I also like the split level stairs at entrance ways with common articulation level between cars.

I do not like the stairwell in the Superliners... with upper level articulation level between cars. Hope the newer LD liners will adapt this method of passenger flow for any new bi-level designs... also eliminating the need for a transition car.

Also like the focus on cleanliness in common areas and bathrooms. I wonder if they have employed new technologies to insure that the doorless vestibules will remain tightly closed to protect from wet / cold weather.

Anything new... anything improved... is good for rail transit in our country!

Acela150

Conductor
Meanwhile here in Philly we're going to be waiting for a while for our CRRC junk.. At least Metra made a good choice in builder.