Metro Deli Closing (Chicago Union Station)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicago Union Station.
Please tell me its location was added to the thread title after I'd made my Post #2 - otherwise I'll feel like a real maroon! :blink:
It was, I wasn't thinking when I posted, the 2 Joe's are on a mini adventure to the race track at Arlington Park!
Just to clarify - I added the location to the title, since many may not know what station is being talked about.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is another sports bar on the second floor.

Still, i missed the deli especially back in the day there was a Dance Dance Revolution machine in their arcade...

I'm a little confused! Is the Deli out of business or relocating in the station?
All indications thus far are that the Metro Deli is closing. I agree with those who see this as a net negative. Mainly because the prices were far more reasonable that what you typically see in a station or airport.

I love that it feels like an old, familiar bar. I love the retro "Cable TV" and "Air Conditioning" signs above the entrance. I love that they usually play '70s and '80s music most of the time, which adds to the nostalgic feel.

Plus, the food is really good. I love that I don't have to eat at some generic, crappy chain restaurant in between trains.

Ugh. :(

I was fortunate to discover this place before my first LD trip out of CUS. I'd just checked my bags in the lounge (underground bunker) they allot to sleeping car passengers, noticed the low ceilings, ratty furniture, spotty internet, wan "snacks", and fairly disinterested personnel, and bolted. First stop was the Great Hall where I sat and mused about how grand train travel used to be. Then it was off to find food and drink, and fortunately Metro Deli was right there, off the Great Hall. Hence I never discovered the "food court" and in 15 years of train travel have never made a purchase there.

Metro Deli was real Chicago--mainly a place for commuters to stop for a drink (or 2) before heading home. I started with a martini at the bar--all of a sudden, my coming 18 hour trip didn't seem so bad. Next it was salad bar & chili and they didn't disappoint. The decor was swell, with rock posters and train memorabilia, and the bartenders were surly. One thing is for sure, this place will be missed. I'll definitely be attending the close out festivities next week.

I was always amazed to see commuters getting drinks--even actual mixed drinks, in a lidded plastic cup--for the train ride home which--I don't know, does that happen anywhere else? Maybe it does and I just don't notice it...

I'm sorry to see them go. However, part of their space has to be taken to finish the rehab of the Great Hall building. I was led to understand that the owners were not happy with the potential alternative spaces they were offered in Union Station (all smaller) and decided that they should just close.

This is bad. It's the only spacious bar in the station, and it was a good place to observe the hardened commuters throwing a few back before training home to the suburbs.

I was always amazed to see commuters getting drinks--even actual mixed drinks, in a lidded plastic cup--for the train ride home which--I don't know, does that happen anywhere else? Maybe it does and I just don't notice it...
In New York City, drinks are sold from carts on the platforms. Until recently, Metro North's New Haven Line featured bar cars.

CISHIP- I second the idea of Dylans. Great place and close to CUS.

MikefromCrete- Does the Metra that travels south out of the LaSalle St station still have the bar car on Thursdays and Fridays? All it consisted of was a bartender from the bar standing in a vestibule selling beers out of a cooler. It made for some rowdy trips home from work.

When I was growing up in Chicago back in the 70s, there was a stink raised about this, as some places were selling QUART size takeaway Mix Drinks and there was a call to get it stopped (probably mostly from wives having to deal with bombed-out-of-their-gourd husbands staggering off the train). But it looks like the bars won this one as drinks are still flowing freely at the stations and on the Gallery Coaches to this day.

I only ever ate there twice, but the very good, not too expensive food was very welcome when catching a short connection

Metro Deli (and bar) is just the sort of classic establishment which BELONGS and fits in a classic railroad station.

This is a sad day for the experience of rail travel through Chicago.

It is ironic that its closing comes at a time when the state of Illinois is legally re-instituting happy hour, however.

In NY you can get beers before boarding, but Chicago is king of the tradition. Fetching women sell tall boys out of big cannisters of ice. On board, I have seen people mixing their own martinis in shakers.

Now I'm really glad we decided to eat there during our mini-Gathering a couple months ago. It seems an appropriate sendoff.

11056080_10153211896433470_1602156204961087173_n.jpg

I might try to make it there next Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'm really glad we decided to eat there during our mini-Gathering a couple months ago. It seems an appropriate sendoff.

attachicon.gif
11056080_10153211896433470_1602156204961087173_n.jpg

I might try to make it there next Sunday.
Indeed!

The odd thing is that open alcohol is not permitted on the streets of Chicago, so bars are usually pretty careful about not letting people exit the establishment with anything in hand. I guess if you're expected to get on a train to the suburbs, it ok, though?

Went to the closing night party tonight at the Metro Deli in Chicago Union Station.

A swell time was had by all.

Unfortunately I don't remember too much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back