My Mobility Impaired Rant

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtimer

OBS Chief
I am mobility impaired. I suffer from two different "Invisible Handicaps". I had worked for 41 years in the transportation field 36 years with Amtrak, 1 with the PennCentral, and 4 years in the aviation field. All of these jobs were based in Chicago and the weather and working conditions took a toll on my body.

I have noticed a recent trend on this board to talk about "cripples", and another referring to pre-boarding procedure as "Cutting in line". This talk seriously offends me and probably others on this board. Hell, even the word handicap offends those that know it's entomology (it refers to a beggar having his cap in his hand, asking for a hand out).

I think that posters on this board need to understand that there are reasons that mobility impaired travelers are given priority to lower level seating and pre-boarding as they may not have the ability to get out of the way of you able bodied passengers in your rush to grab the window seats or your scurrying down the Superliner stairs at a stop to go out and smoke. Please don't be upset if a station stop takes a minute or two longer for the loading of a mobility impaired passenger, even if it causes a "late" departure.

I'll get off my soapbox now and hope that you enjoy your trips on Amtrak and just once think about those Amtrak employees that have given their life, limbs, or quality of life to make your trips safe, comfortable and on time.

AL

:angry: :unsure: :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would hope that any one who made an insensitive comment did not do so with the intention of being cruel. Those of us who are able-bodied often do not appreciate the gifts that we have. Sometimes it takes a post like yours to remind us that no one knows what tomorrow will bring with regard to health, etc. I would like to apologize to you on behalf of any forum member who made negative comments.

Thank you for your service to the transportation industry.

Please don't be upset if a station stop takes a minute or two longer for the loading of a mobility impaired passenger, even if it causes a "late" departure.
yall are cool. it is the generally clueless idiots that hold things up that pisses me off. people that don't have their tickets ready or are still fiddling with things in their bags as the train pulls up. i live near a tiny stop and last time this lady was still getting things out of her car after everyone else had boarded and the conductor had to sit there and wait (maybe he didn't have to, but he was nice enough to).

Hell, even the word handicap offends those that know it's entomology (it refers to a beggar having his cap in his hand, asking for a hand out).
At the risk of going off on a diversion, I thought I'd mention that my understanding of the etymology in "handicap" is decidedly different (and not offensive to disabled persons). I seemed to recall that it was NOT a derivative of "hat in hand" or "cap in hand," but rather a derivative of "hand in cap," which carries a very different (but interesting) meaning having something to do with ownership of property and added weight on a horse in horse racing. My memory was fuzzy, so I went to the New Oxford American Dictionary for detail and found that I was remembering correctly (mostly):

ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: from the phrase hand in cap; originally a pastime in which one person claimed an article belonging to another and offered something in exchange, any difference in value being decided by an umpire. All three deposited forfeit money in a cap; the two opponents showed their agreement or disagreement with the valuation by bringing out their hands either full or empty. If both were the same, the umpire took the forfeit money; if not, it went to the person who accepted the valuation. The term handicap race was applied (late 18th cent.) to a horse race in which an umpire decided the weight to be carried by each horse, the owners showing acceptance or dissent in a similar way: hence in the late 19th cent. handicap came to mean the extra weight given to the superior horse.
Rafi

I am mobility impaired. I suffer from two different "Invisible Handicaps". I had worked for 41 years in the transportation field 36 years with Amtrak, 1 with the PennCentral, and 4 years in the aviation field. All of these jobs were based in Chicago and the weather and working conditions took a toll on my body.
I have noticed a recent trend on this board to talk about "cripples", and another referring to pre-boarding procedure as "Cutting in line". This talk seriously offends me and probably others on this board. Hell, even the word handicap offends those that know it's entomology (it refers to a beggar having his cap in his hand, asking for a hand out).

I think that posters on this board need to understand that there are reasons that mobility impaired travelers are given priority to lower level seating and pre-boarding as they may not have the ability to get out of the way of you able bodied passengers in your rush to grab the window seats or your scurrying down the Superliner stairs at a stop to go out and smoke. Please don't be upset if a station stop takes a minute or two longer for the loading of a mobility impaired passenger, even if it causes a "late" departure.

I'll get off my soapbox now and hope that you enjoy your trips on Amtrak and just once think about those Amtrak employees that have given their life, limbs, or quality of life to make your trips safe, comfortable and on time.

AL

:angry: :unsure: :angry:
Like most insensitive acts and sayings I'd like to think it is done out of ignorance ( the actor wasnt educated and had a poor or no role model!)

Words can hurt, even loved ones use them without thinking so I'll try to give the poster who said these ignorant and hurtful words the benefit of the doubt!

The T-Party haters shouting hateful and ignorant things about our governement and elected leaders are another story, some people are just hateful and ignorant, even evil! Just remember as the above poster said it could happen to you in the blink of an eye! Id say admire folks who live with and overcome disabilities, no pity or mocking needed! Hurry up and wait is a poor philosophy to live by, relax, smell the flowers and enjoy the journey, it's over very quick! ;) (that's why we take trains right?) :)

Jim always has a good reply. My two cents~ I lost half my deltoid muscle to cancer which was later proven to have been caused by exposure to certain chemicals in a major company's plant that we switched on a Class 1. I don't think too many of you know that I am certified handicap; I enjoy life too much to let my arm dangle although it does qualify me for the H room for which I am grateful. When they discovered the cancer they said it was too late~ then they said I would lose my arm and finally they operated at M.D. Anderson and removed quite a chunk of the arm. Just don't ask me to arm wrestle you in the SS lounge with my left hand~ you'll win every time :cool:

Jim always has a good reply. My two cents~ I lost half my deltoid muscle to cancer which was later proven to have been caused by exposure to certain chemicals in a major company's plant that we switched on a Class 1. I don't think too many of you know that I am certified handicap; I enjoy life too much to let my arm dangle although it does qualify me for the H room for which I am grateful. When they discovered the cancer they said it was too late~ then they said I would lose my arm and finally they operated at M.D. Anderson and removed quite a chunk of the arm. Just don't ask me to arm wrestle you in the SS lounge with my left hand~ you'll win every time :cool:
That must be the reason you only drank beers with your right hand when we had dinner together last year in NOL!!! :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt by some comments on this board. There are many people here that don't realize that by using certain words that they are being offensive, including ranting about certain political parties.

I am not disabled, but hubby is. He is one of those that you would not know unless you know him. I emphasize

with you, I know how frustrating it can be when people give you the look like 'can't you hurry up??'

Thank you for working so hard & I hope you stay well-don't worry about those that have no concept of what you are going through. There is nothing wrong with anyone boarding early or first for that matter. We still all get on the same train!

There is nothing wrong with anyone boarding early or first for that matter. We still all get on the same train!
My sentiments exactly. I never cease to be amazed at how some people will just about run others down to get on the train first. Priority boarding is an important aspect of good customer service. Passengers needing assistance whether it be due to disability or say a mother traveling with small children are entitled to board ahead of the rest of the passengers for a reason. It may take longer for some folks to walk down the platform or step up onto the train and get seated. There's no need for other passengers to be pushing and shoving past and potentially injuring someone. The train is not going to leave until all ticketed passengers have boarded.

OldTimer, my wife also has significantly impaired mobility, consequently we request and use the "H" bedroom. That is the term Amtrak currently chooses to use, and we all understand that it is the current euphemism for Handicapped. I personally feel that Political Correctness has raised this Country's "Public" sensitivity to a level of nausea. However, this is the country my wife and I choose to live in, and since the plusses far outweigh the negatives, we accept the occasional ignorance (meaning "uninformed") and keep right on going. I continuously thank God that we are all not just like me, YUK....... :)

There was one poster who used the word "cripple." I think others called him out in the offending post. That same poster has made homophobic and xenophobic comments before, so now we can add another group that he discriminates against - those who are disabled. :wacko: Take him with a grain of salt.

Many disabilities can not be easily noticed. Even the_traveler has a disability - a coordination/balance problem. But I do not normally board early - except if I have a Red Cap help me with my bags!

The people that drive me crazy are those that try to carry their 32" or 35" suitcases up the stairs on a superliner to their seats or rooms - instead of just leaving them in the luggage rack downstairs! :rolleyes: Even I leave my 20" rolling bag downstairs!

You may ask how I travel on trains with a balance problem? If I stumble, I can always use the train as an excuse! :lol: But actually, I feel I compensate more on a train! ;)

I would never say anything about anyone with a handicap!

There was one poster who used the word "cripple." I think others called him out in the offending post. That same poster has made homophobic and xenophobic comments before, so now we can add another group that he discriminates against - those who are disabled. :wacko: Take him with a grain of salt.
I saw use of the word cripple and I also the homophobic references. I do not think the writer meant anything, it was his uncle whom he referred to as cripple. I don't think he meant his unk any ill.

Some of us are more careful of the words we use - just as I hope you will "cut some slack" to my wife as she gimps along the hallway with her cane, I think we should also "cut some slack" to those who speak more crudely than we like.

Of course on the flip side of that just because someone doesn't use the terminology that you want is a bit xenophobic as well. Cripple and impared have the same meaning. Which is worse: "That cripple is my friend." or "I hate the impaired."

I have a feeling you might be talking about a post I made earlier today. That thread was really all about BC passengers being given priority boarding, and thus allowed to "cut in line" (a perk of their higher ticket prices). And yea, I mentioned it was at the same time as the handicapped. But that subject was all about BC boarding and not really the handicapped. Handicapped was simply a tangential, minor, fact.

I am offended when someone likes to pull something out of its total context, and spin it for their own means as if it was not "politically correct".

You know, the handicapped can be jerks too, and one should never be afraid to point to a handicapped person and proclaim, "there is a jerk". They are not jerks because they are handicapped.

I have a feeling you might be talking about a post I made earlier today. That thread was really all about BC passengers being given priority boarding, and thus allowed to "cut in line" (a perk of their higher ticket prices). And yea, I mentioned it was at the same time as the handicapped. But that subject was all about BC boarding and not really the handicapped. Handicapped was simply a tangential, minor, fact.
Actually, I think what upset many people (including me, a little) was the poster who spoke of his relative as a "cripple" and then compared cripples to "normal people."

I, too, am mobility-impaired, and have been so for just a few years. So far I've managed to do without the "H" bedrooms on trains (it'll come to that, sooner or later), but I can't go far, and certainly not quickly. So I'm more than grateful for all the Red Cap help that comes along, and feel more comfortable when I can board earlier than most, so that I don't feel as though I'm holding up the works!

I AM offended at the term "cripple," and I defy anyone who dares to think I'm less than "normal" — but yes, I'm happy to hang my "Handicapped" car tag on the mirror so I can use the "Handicapped" parking slots! (It's either that or stay home.)

yes, I'm happy to hang my "Handicapped" car tag on the mirror so I can use the "Handicapped" parking slots! (It's either that or stay home.)
A little OT, but I too have a handicapped car tag, because I drive my sister around who is worse than I am.

What upsets me is that at supermarkets and other stores with carts, the employees that come and pick up the carts, seem to ALWAYS collect those left by others in the Handicapped parking spots first! Those it would seem that they should be left! :rolleyes: Otherwise, those who need support have to walk 50-100' or more into the store without support to get a cart for support! :rolleyes:

What upsets me is that at supermarkets and other stores with carts, the employees that come and pick up the carts, seem to ALWAYS collect those left by others in the Handicapped parking spots first! Those it would seem that they should be left! :rolleyes: Otherwise, those who need support have to walk 50-100' or more into the store without support to get a cart for support! :rolleyes:
Yeah, except that we find the carts are usually left in the middle of the parking space ... which means, o'course, that if you really, really want that particular space, somebody has to stop the car in the driving lane (invariably in the middle of a Saturday morning, when The Whole World is at that very supermarket!) and get out and go move the !@#$%^&* cart so you can pull into the space!

AARRRGGGGHHHHH!, to paraphrase somebody around here! :rolleyes:

Yeah, except that we find the carts are usually left in the middle of the parking space ... which means, o'course, that if you really, really want that particular space, somebody has to stop the car in the driving lane (invariably in the middle of a Saturday morning, when The Whole World is at that very supermarket!) and get out and go move the !@#$%^&* cart so you can pull into the space!
AARRRGGGGHHHHH!, to paraphrase somebody around here! :rolleyes:
I always place mine against the concrete with the sign or in the wide stripped area between the spaces. Many times, before I pull out of the space, an EMPLOYEE has picked it up already! (I would not mind at all if it was another handicapped parking customer.)

I have no problem with the physically challenged if you prefer. I never complain or ***** about them. they refuse to let their disability slow them down and i don't have a problem with that more power to them. When my mom had hip replacement surgery she had to use a walker for awhile then a cane.

Just my two cents on those that just HAVE to board first~ We used to watch the daily commuters race to the lounge car at Albany on the Empire Service trains. It soon became evident "why" they just had to be first; they would set up their laptops and shuffle their newspapers at the tables that were supposed to be used by paying customers. Now, these "winners" have no cafe service~ I wonder if they outdid themselves and made the pax who wanted to buy something and sit down to eat it stay away from the front runners thus ending what was a good thing for all pax?

My pet peeve along these lines is how Amtrak handles disability discounts. The disabled are offered a 15% discount on Amtrak fares, but there is no way to get that discount online or thru quik-trak. You have to talk to an agent or make a phone reservation and specifically ask for a disabled fare. Other groups who receive discounts (Seniors, Military, AAA, Student Advantage, ISIC, Veterans) can purchase a discounted ticket on Amtrak.com.

Why does Amtrak do this? I was told that they want to be able to ask the disabled person if he or she "needs assistance boarding". If you say you want a disabled discount, they always ask "do you need assistance boarding?" I understand that some disabled people need assistance boarding and it is good to find out in advance. But as readers here have commented, there are many disabilities that are not easily noticed. I would think that after buying several Amtrak trips and telling them over and over that you are disabled and don't need assistance, they could put that fact into their computer and let you buy tickets online. It can be a bit humiliating for a disabled person to have to "prove it" over and over again.

My pet peeve along these lines is how Amtrak handles disability discounts. The disabled are offered a 15% discount on Amtrak fares, but there is no way to get that discount online or thru quik-trak. You have to talk to an agent or make a phone reservation and specifically ask for a disabled fare. Other groups who receive discounts (Seniors, Military, AAA, Student Advantage, ISIC, Veterans) can purchase a discounted ticket on Amtrak.com.
Why does Amtrak do this? I was told that they want to be able to ask the disabled person if he or she "needs assistance boarding". If you say you want a disabled discount, they always ask "do you need assistance boarding?" I understand that some disabled people need assistance boarding and it is good to find out in advance. But as readers here have commented, there are many disabilities that are not easily noticed. I would think that after buying several Amtrak trips and telling them over and over that you are disabled and don't need assistance, they could put that fact into their computer and let you buy tickets online. It can be a bit humiliating for a disabled person to have to "prove it" over and over again.
You make a very valid point with which I totally agree. I think Amtrak is still feeling the effects of a suit brought on it by a disabled pax back in the early 90's. At that time it provided for an additional 15% discount to all disabled pax for a number of years in lieu of monetary settlement. I think Amtrak is just set in their ways; sometimes I want to re-name it Amtrak Concrete Company as they are harder headed than most of the Class 1's :eek:

BTW, I have NEVER been asked for "on board self-certification" of the fact that I am disabled; this counts every train I've ever ridden and there are a bunch!

Other groups who receive discounts (Seniors, Military, AAA, Student Advantage, ISIC, Veterans) can purchase a discounted ticket on Amtrak.com.
When you apply any of those discounts does the system ask for any kind of validation? Do you have to enter your age for a senior discount? Do you have to enter any kind of ID number to use a AAA or military discount? How does Amtrak validate those discounts online?

Other groups who receive discounts (Seniors, Military, AAA, Student Advantage, ISIC, Veterans) can purchase a discounted ticket on Amtrak.com.
When you apply any of those discounts does the system ask for any kind of validation? Do you have to enter your age for a senior discount? Do you have to enter any kind of ID number to use a AAA or military discount? How does Amtrak validate those discounts online?
I can only speak to the Veteran's Advantage Discount-you do have to put your member # in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back