My Mobility Impaired Rant

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My pet peeve along these lines is how Amtrak handles disability discounts. The disabled are offered a 15% discount on Amtrak fares, but there is no way to get that discount online or thru quik-trak. You have to talk to an agent or make a phone reservation and specifically ask for a disabled fare. Other groups who receive discounts (Seniors, Military, AAA, Student Advantage, ISIC, Veterans) can purchase a discounted ticket on Amtrak.com.
Why does Amtrak do this? I was told that they want to be able to ask the disabled person if he or she "needs assistance boarding". If you say you want a disabled discount, they always ask "do you need assistance boarding?" I understand that some disabled people need assistance boarding and it is good to find out in advance. But as readers here have commented, there are many disabilities that are not easily noticed. I would think that after buying several Amtrak trips and telling them over and over that you are disabled and don't need assistance, they could put that fact into their computer and let you buy tickets online. It can be a bit humiliating for a disabled person to have to "prove it" over and over again.
I am grateful that Amtrak performs a basic Q&A to determine eligibilty for the disabled discount and H room access, though I fully understand that it can be humiliating for some. Sadly, there is a significant number of perfectly able people that will claim a disabled condition just to receive the discount (which can be substantial). I see these people every day in parking lots with their cars that have no H cards or H plates parked in H spaces. The excuses (lies) can be very creative when these people are challanged, but disgusting none the less.

BTW, the first time we rode after my wife's condition had worsened, she was able to mount the Viewliner steps with difficulty, but quickly realized there was no way she could go down them. So we asked for assistance long before we arrived at our destination. My wife was embarrassed that she was inconveniencing the station staff and delaying the train, but the Conductor and station staff could not have been more gracious. They really made her feel that she was more than welcome, and that this was merely part of their regular service.

Last edited by a moderator:
My pet peeve along these lines is how Amtrak handles disability discounts. The disabled are offered a 15% discount on Amtrak fares, but there is no way to get that discount online or thru quik-trak. You have to talk to an agent or make a phone reservation and specifically ask for a disabled fare. Other groups who receive discounts (Seniors, Military, AAA, Student Advantage, ISIC, Veterans) can purchase a discounted ticket on Amtrak.com.
Why does Amtrak do this? I was told that they want to be able to ask the disabled person if he or she "needs assistance boarding". If you say you want a disabled discount, they always ask "do you need assistance boarding?" I understand that some disabled people need assistance boarding and it is good to find out in advance. But as readers here have commented, there are many disabilities that are not easily noticed. I would think that after buying several Amtrak trips and telling them over and over that you are disabled and don't need assistance, they could put that fact into their computer and let you buy tickets online. It can be a bit humiliating for a disabled person to have to "prove it" over and over again.
Such a request seems pretty reasonable to me. If anybody could just buy a discounted handicapped fare and roomvia a computer entry, then what's to stop anybody from exercising that options. There's plenty of people who would cheat to get such a discount, just like there are many non-handicapped people who park their cars in handicapped spots using placards belonging to some relative or friend.

Last edited:
Other groups who receive discounts (Seniors, Military, AAA, Student Advantage, ISIC, Veterans) can purchase a discounted ticket on Amtrak.com.
When you apply any of those discounts does the system ask for any kind of validation? Do you have to enter your age for a senior discount? Do you have to enter any kind of ID number to use a AAA or military discount? How does Amtrak validate those discounts online?
You do not have to put in age to get a Senior discount.

Other groups who receive discounts (Seniors, Military, AAA, Student Advantage, ISIC, Veterans) can purchase a discounted ticket on Amtrak.com.
When you apply any of those discounts does the system ask for any kind of validation? Do you have to enter your age for a senior discount? Do you have to enter any kind of ID number to use a AAA or military discount? How does Amtrak validate those discounts online?
You do not have to put in age to get a Senior discount.
I know that tickets printed with a "senior discount" have printed on them " ID required ." So if not upon making the reservation there is still the expectation that you will be asked to "prove" you are indeed entitled to the discount. I believe the Military discount works the same.

I have to say though that I don't know what the result would be should someone present tickets requiring a certain age or military status but the person not actually qualify for the discount. I suppose it would fall under the theft of services category.

I can only speak to the Veteran's Advantage Discount-you do have to put your member # in.
So I would hazard to guess that the AAA discount likely requires you to enter your AAA ID#? Anyone know this for sure?

So I would hazard to guess that the AAA discount likely requires you to enter your AAA ID#? Anyone know this for sure?
You have to enter your AAA number to get the discount, just as you have to enter your NARP number to get that discount. One the other hand, I've never been asked for either my AAA or my NARP card on board a train.

The first time my husband and I took the train, we were asked for IDs to prove our age (both of us over 62) when we picked up our tickets before boarding. Since then, though, we haven't been asked to do so -- in fact, when we've bought tickets online or by phone for travel leaving from an unmanned/un-QuickTrak'ed station, we've simply been sent the tickets automatically, with no age or any other sort of ID required.

So maybe Amtrak DOES have us in the system now and no longer worries about our not being old enough for senior discounts...? Looks like it!

I can only speak to the Veteran's Advantage Discount-you do have to put your member # in.
you have to enter your AAA membership number and you are required to show your AAA card onboard.

As I replied in the AAA thread I believe based upon posts here and what I've witnessed in the performance of my job, that Amtrak does indeed require proof in order to receive monetary discounts for tickets. Whether they be purchased online or at a ticket counter.

As to the OP's original complaint about the no way to apply his discount online, well there's no accepted method do identify you qualify for said discount. I've been told that Amtrak isn't allowed to maintain any form of database on it's passengers. That could explain why you must go through this process at a ticket counter each time and are unable to purchase discount tickets online.

When I travel alone I use the Senior Discount - when I travel with my wife we use her Handicapped Discount. I have not been asked to show either proof that I am a Senior (but my grey hair is obvious) nor have we been asked to show proof of Wifey's mobility impairment.

I have the requisite proofs and we do qualify for the discounts but we have not been asked to show them. Do I have an honest face?

When I travel alone I use the Senior Discount - when I travel with my wife we use her Handicapped Discount. I have not been asked to show either proof that I am a Senior (but my grey hair is obvious) nor have we been asked to show proof of Wifey's mobility impairment.
I have the requisite proofs and we do qualify for the discounts but we have not been asked to show them. Do I have an honest face?
You two must have an honest faces!

They haven't asked for hubby's Veteran's Advantage Card either. Might be the Marines hat, & Marines leather jacket, though. :)

On a trip a few weeks back, my sister had a senior discount ticket (since she is 62) and I used the AAA discount (as I do have AAA). Both tickets did indicate "ID REQUIRED ABOARD" - however neither of us were asked to prove it! In fact, I've never been asked for my AAA card onboard. (Only at the station, when I picked the tickets from an agent. The QT never asked to see my card! :lol: )

better to take it with you. what happens if you leave it at home thinking i won't be asked for it they never do and you get a rookie conductor who goes by the book?what happens? do they toss you off or make you pay the full fair balance?

better to take it with you. what happens if you leave it at home thinking i won't be asked for it they never do and you get a rookie conductor who goes by the book?what happens? do they toss you off or make you pay the full fair balance?

Not to worry. I agree with you 100% and always make sure I carry my AAA card with me. You never know when you might be asked for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back