Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could it be DELAND, FL?
I'll second that.

station.jpg

Just wondering, how can you tell its a Cardinal and not a Crescent?
The Cardinal and Crescent use different railroad lines between Culpeper and Charlottesville (the Cardinal on the ex-C&O and the Crescent and Northeast Regional on the ex-Southern). These two lines cross at the site of the Charlottesville station (and diverge forever thereafter), and therefore the station has a separate platform on each line. This is the eastbound Cardinal stopped at its specific platform, or at least I am fairly certain it is, since I took that route last fall and have nearly the same picture (except mine is closer to the station, since I was in coach......).

Other smaller US stations with separate platforms for separate railroad lines, on account of their geography, include Cary, NC, (diverging point for the Piedmont and Silver Star) and Vancouver, WA (diverging point of the Portland Empire Builder section and the Cascades route). Boston Back Bay is perhaps not a smaller station, but still has separate platforms for the ex-Boston and Albany (Lakeshore Limited) and ex-New Haven (NEC) lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the lesson, I didn't realize that, and I go through Charlottesville on the Crescent regularly. Of course, lately it's been dark, but that's changing, so I'll pay closer attention next time.
You're welcome. I believe that the actual split between the two lines is in Orange, VA, though I have not seen it because the time I took the Cardinal it was four hours late and therefore it was dark at this point.

Anyhow, here's the next picture. Sadly, it is not a very nice photo, nor is it very nice of me to make people guess where I took it:

Thanks for the lesson, I didn't realize that, and I go through Charlottesville on the Crescent regularly. Of course, lately it's been dark, but that's changing, so I'll pay closer attention next time.
You're welcome. I believe that the actual split between the two lines is in Orange, VA, though I have not seen it because the time I took the Cardinal it was four hours late and therefore it was dark at this point.

Anyhow, here's the next picture. Sadly, it is not a very nice photo, nor is it very nice of me to make people guess where I took it:

Not enough information for even a SWAG

Ann Arbor?

Back