Nashville to Williams

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScouseAndy

Lead Service Attendant
Im putting the finishing touches to my honeymoon plans and as my future wife is a massive Nashville fan (the TV show) we have agreed that we will spend a few days in Nashville prior to our visit to the Grand Canyon

On the web page Nashville to LA via a 5 hour bus to St Louis then the River Runner to Kansas and then the South west Chief is a bookable route but for some reason Nashville to Williams isn't bookable even though it the same trains and connections!

Is there anyway to book this route on line and get the guaranteed connections (not multi city) - I am aware that if I called Amtrak this might be possible but based in the UK the cost of an international call isn't really something I want to have to consider & Id rather not have to get the 11 hour bus to Chicago or the over night stay in Indianapolis which is the only bookable routes appearing on the webpage.

New York to Nashville seems very simple to book with a 6 bus from Indianapolis to connect to the Cardinal so that's all good.

Last edited by a moderator:
annoyingly you can book Nashville to Williams Junction but Williams on line, which in my mind is total nonesense as you need the bus to take you from Williams Junction dont you and this is basically just a halt in the middle of no where isnt it??

annoyingly you can book Nashville to Williams Junction but Williams on line, which in my mind is total nonesense as you need the bus to take you from Williams Junction dont you and this is basically just a halt in the middle of no where isnt it??
Williams junction is a stop in the middle of nowhere, but there is a van from the Grand Canyon Railroad that meets Amtrak every time they arrive. Williams is not directly served by Amtrak, so that could be the issue.

Williams junction is a stop in the middle of nowhere, but there is a van from the Grand Canyon Railroad that meets Amtrak every time they arrive. Williams is not directly served by Amtrak, so that could be the issue.
does the van meet the train for all passengers departing at Williams Junction or do you have to book thru to Williams in order for them to pick you up?

Im putting the finishing touches to my honeymoon plans and as my future wife is a massive Nashville fan (the TV show) we have agreed that we will spend a few days in Nashville prior to our visit to the Grand Canyon

On the web page Nashville to LA via a 5 hour bus to St Louis then the River Runner to Kansas and then the South west Chief is a bookable route but for some reason Nashville to Williams isn't bookable even though it the same trains and connections!

Is there anyway to book this route on line and get the guaranteed connections (not multi city) - I am aware that if I called Amtrak this might be possible but based in the UK the cost of an international call isn't really something I want to have to consider & Id rather not have to get the 11 hour bus to Chicago or the over night stay in Indianapolis which is the only bookable routes appearing on the webpage.

New York to Nashville seems very simple to book with a 6 bus from Indianapolis to connect to the Cardinal so that's all good.
The Bus-River Runner- SWC itinerary is bookable Online. But be sure to select WILLIAMS JCT, NOT just Williams AZ as the Destination. The Grand Canyon Railway Hotel van will pick you up at Williams Jct whenever the train arrives.

William Jct.jpg

Amtrak does not seem to be able to build all possible itinerates. That may be the probability here. If you have a friend that can call Amtrak from the USA maybe he can get it straightened out. Maybe book what you can, give reservation number to friend and let him complete the transaction. You can then check the itinerary from your computer ? Also someone who has the time in the USA call Amtrak and see if they have an international number.

I would consider taking the bus to Memphis, spending a day there (Beale Street, Elvis "Graceland" Pebody Hotel, etc.) and take the City of New Orleans north to Chicago (it leaves Memphis around 11 PM, Arrives Chicago the next morning. Sleepers are usually pretty cheap).

A long bus ride to St. Louis, only to get on a very basic regional train, and then transfer at Kansas City doesn't sound like a fun time to me.

We took SWC to Williams Junction. It is in a forest clearing, serviced by a logging road. The conductor made sure we had booked Grand Canyon Hotel as if you just get off there, no van ride for you. The conductor said people have gotten off thinking a cab or bus is available. And he added that the train won't wait. Return trip back we were taken to Flagstaff for boarding.

We took SWC to Williams Junction. It is in a forest clearing, serviced by a logging road. The conductor made sure we had booked Grand Canyon Hotel as if you just get off there, no van ride for you. The conductor said people have gotten off thinking a cab or bus is available. And he added that the train won't wait. Return trip back we were taken to Flagstaff for boarding.
That is very surprising, since the stop is private property. The fence is locked and the platforms lights are both opened/operated by the van driver. There is no way to just drive to "the station". Even people who live in Williams must use the van to/from the hotel.

Not knowing anyone well enough in the US to ask them to amend my booking -I think I'll try and email Amtrak and ask if they will call me in the UK to make the booking that way atleast I might be able to book high level sleepettes rather then having to settle for which ever room the website allocates- has any none US member ever requested a call back in this way and did it work?

I'm liking the idea of the Memphis option and would use 1 less leg of my rail pass if we choose to go down that path (still working out if that would be the most cost effective way to travel) thanks for the idea :)

Is toll free not true for international calls?
There are some US numbers which remain toll free in Canada and a handful of other countries but this does not apply to Europe. Different technology, numbering, rates, rules, regulations, etc. Whole different ballgame over there.

Seems like this sort of critical information should be in bold red lettering on the website and on the e-ticket whenever you search or ticket for travel to this bizarre outpost stop. The idea that a major first world transportation company would casually abandon unsuspecting passengers in the middle of nowhere without adequate pre-travel warnings borders on ludicrous.

Not knowing anyone well enough in the US to ask them to amend my booking -I think I'll try and email Amtrak and ask if they will call me in the UK to make the booking that way atleast I might be able to book high level sleepettes rather then having to settle for which ever room the website allocates- has any none US member ever requested a call back in this way and did it work?
I've had major international airlines, hotel chains, and banks offer to call me back but never Amtrak. That being said I've never really had a reason to call Amtrak from outside of the US either. Before I had a mobile phone with unlimited international calling to the US I simply used Skype. The UK sign up page is probably a bit more expensive than the US site but it should still be quite reasonable compared to conventional international calling plans.

The van or bus from the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel meets the trains at Williams Junction. They know how many passengers are booked. If no one is ticketed to or from Williams then they may not operate out there and I have seen cases where the train did not stop. I have not been out there in several months, but there was no locked gate several months ago, but signs advise the it is railroad property and No Trespassing. Yes, there is a short platform and the driver turns on the lights. I would be curious to know why the one poster was driven to Flagstaff - the forest road might have been impassable. On at least one occasion, I have observed locals drive in there anyway to pick up passengers.

A long bus ride to St. Louis, only to get on a very basic regional train, and then transfer at Kansas City doesn't sound like a fun time to me.
I can't speak from personal experience, but the Missouri River Runner appears to be more scenic than the CONO-SWC route. Then again, there's going to be more to see and do during layovers in Memphis/Chicago than in St. Louis.

For my money, an afternoon/evening ride on a day train with views of the river is preferable to an extra night on a LD train. I suppose it depends on what the OP values most in travel by rail.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the note about this in the timetable (unless I missed that post):

53 Free shuttle service between Williams Grand Canyon Railway station and Williams Junction Amtrak station. Reservations required.
As long as you reserve the free shuttle (I presume with Amtrak) you shouldn't have a problem.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the note about this in the timetable (unless I missed that post):

53 Free shuttle service between Williams Grand Canyon Railway station and Williams Junction Amtrak station. Reservations required.
As long as you reserve the free shuttle (I presume with Amtrak) you shouldn't have a problem.
I assumed that meant reservations to their hotel/train were required? Otherwise what reservation is it referring to? Even if the shuttle was free and required no hotel or onward travel there wouldn't seem to be much more in the way of additional services available besides the hotel and the tourist train.

I live in Nashville and do not recommend the 5 hour bus ride(it will be a regular Greyhound bus). If you are wanting to travel on the Southwest Chief I suggest flying SOUTHWEST AIRLINES Nashville to Kansas City. Since the Chief arrives KC around 10:30 PM so there will be 2 or 3 non stop flights from Nashville to KC in plenty of time to catch the SWC in KC. SOUTHWEST also serves St. Louis non stop if you want to add the Missouri train.

You can only book SOUTHWEST Airlines on line. I also recommend when you book Southwest add the Early Boarding feature which puts you in the A group after business class type customers. Note: Southwest does not have assigned seats so you simply choose your seat after boarding. What they have is a boarding schedule in three groups A, B, C. In each group the passengers board according to your boarding pass number. In other words A1 boards first followed by each number in consecutive order. SOUTHWEST is the low cost airline with no baggage fees. I highly recommend that instead of riding a bus for five hours.

I love to travel Amtrak sleeping car but I always fly from Nashville to a Amtrak departure point. Mainly from Nashville I fly to Chicago, New Orleans, Washington, DC, or to the West Coast and ride the train back east.

By the way, the Grand Canyon Railroad goes from Williams to the Canyon and they sell packages that includes overnight stays in Williams so they do provide a van to and from the Amtrak stop in Williams Jct.

I just notice someone recommended going to Memphis. I don't recommend that as the train is overnight to Chicago. If you want to start in Chicago, Southwest Airlines flies non stop from Nashville to Chicago several times a day to Midway Airport from which you can easily get to Union Station. The SWC departs 3 PM from Chicago.

I just notice someone recommended going to Memphis. I don't recommend that as the train is overnight to Chicago. If you want to start in Chicago, Southwest Airlines flies non stop from Nashville to Chicago several times a day to Midway Airport from which you can easily get to Union Station. The SWC departs 3 PM from Chicago.
I would assume anyone asking about a bus would prefer to not fly.

Why don't you reccomend the bus to memphis? I've taken it and it's an easy route.

I would assume anyone asking about a bus would prefer to not fly.

Why don't you reccomend the bus to memphis? I've taken it and it's an easy route.
It is not the bus trip as much as the CONO hours. It is a overnight trip that does not get started to 10:30 PM or later. I would just a soon as ride a bus two more hours to St. Louis instead.

Just because they asked about the bus did not mean to me that they would not want to fly. After all I assume they will fly from Europe to the USA and apparently plan to fly into Nashville. So, just my "two cents".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back