National Train Day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Going to An Event?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe?

• Its 4x AGR points I'll be on the rails!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seriously considering taking 2251 from BOS-STM and STM-BOS on 2250 on NTD, I would go to nyp if i could but the connection there is a bit too tight, too bad it couldnt be a cross platform transfer like I saw it in Jan.

Acela Business Class round trip from Metropark to Washington. Trains 2203 and 2220.

Hey I'll be on 2220 on NTD in BC too! :) WAS-NYP

cpamtfan-Peter
I'm sensing a trend... I'll consider joining y'all on 2220, riding from WAS to PHL (where I'd get off, even though I'd be ticketed all the way to MET for the 500 points). If I do this I'd probably take 2251 down--that way I'll have a few hours in the morning for Train Day in Philadelphia (with local friends) and still have one hour for Train Day in DC as well.

Since it's a Saturday, Acela is eligible for AAA 10% discount, right? So it's $86.4x2=$172.8 for 4250 AGR (Select; and 1000 of them are Rail Points).... That's not bad, at $0.041/point.

But it's more likely that I'll shoot for the same 1000 Rail Points by riding two Keystones on Train Day ($11.7 for 850, 200 of them RP), plus four additional Keystones at 2x and four at 3x ($46.8 for 2200, 800 of them RP)... total $58.5 for 3050, 1000 of them Rail Points. But I'd only be spending 1/3 the cash... the only catch is that I'd have to spend an additional 4 days devoting several hours to Keystone riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since it's a Saturday, Acela is eligible for AAA 10% discount, right? So it's $86.4x2=$172.8 for 4250 AGR (Select; and 1000 of them are Rail Points).... That's not bad, at $0.041/point.
I don't believe you get the AAA discount on the $96 fare for MET-WAS. I tried last week and found that if you specify AAA the offered fare bumps upto $115, even on a train that does have the $96 fare available. Since I needed a refundable fare I took the $115 fare. The $96 fare is non-refundable under any circumstances except for death of the passenger before travel I think, and I though it would be rather a harsh move to die just in order to get a refund <_<

Well you can use the $96 fare towards another rail trip should you need to cancel, so you don't really have to die to reclaim it. I am being facetious in overstating the consequences

Incidentally this feature of the $96 fare is mentioned nowhere near where the fare is offered. It is documented elsewhere.

I don't believe you get the AAA discount on the $96 fare for MET-WAS. I tried last week and found that if you specify AAA the offered fare bumps upto $115, even on a train that does have the $96 fare available. Since I needed a refundable fare I took the $115 fare. The $96 fare is non-refundable under any circumstances except for death of the passenger before travel I think, and I though it would be rather a harsh move to die just in order to get a refund <_<

Incidentally this feature of the $96 fare is mentioned nowhere near where the fare is offered. It is documented elsewhere.
Ah, right, it's that "almost unavoidable sale" fare. Ok, I'm almost certain not to be doing this then (and just going with the Keystone plan). Ah well.

Just trying to get an idea see if who might be going to which and what there plans are? Since I figured some AU members would be going to see a few things.
While I live exactly about an hour from LAX and FUL, I am driving to FUL and taking the train to LAX to cash in on the juicy 4Xmile offer for traveling that day. Figureing the rails would be packed to the gills that day for the rail fare I splurged and am going business. At least I have a seat.

I am probably going to ABE-WAS and Back. I have a monthly on MARC (Between Baltimore and Aberdeen), so I will only have to pay $30 round trip. I hope AL Roker is there. Who is the National Spokesman or Spokeswoman for this year?

Just wanted to bump this back from the dead since people are still planning and I know some members left plans in this thread that weren't reposted so here you go!

(Sorry if I shouldn't have)

What some of us :unsure: won't do for quadruple points! :lol:
Tell me about it! :p

I am taking #66 up to BOS, staying for an hour or so, returning to KIN on #99. There I'll stay at (my home station ;) ) for an hour, get on #161 to NLC, have a <10 minute connection and take #160 back to KIN! :D (Southbound trains are nearly always on time, northbound trains can be late - so I'm comfortable with the connection time.) It'll be a sacrifice :lol: , but for 1,600 points for ~5 hours "work" - I'll force myself to do it! :lol:

The reason I have to stay 1 hour at KIN is because you have to take a separate train (number) - and that's worth 400 points! :p

I surprised my hubby with our first ever rail adventure...leaving TOMORROW! We'll be taking the Coast Starlight from LAUS to SLO and returning on National Train Day, Saturday. Really looking forward to the whole experience! I booked the H-room on the #14 from LAX and the #11 returning from SLO. Hoping I can make it up to the Parlour Car to enjoy the view and ambience from there!

Had planned on surprising my hubby, but told him early when the swine flu scare came up (I have MS and a severely suppressed immune system). I'm actually glad I did, because he's been scouring the net looking for all kinds of scanner info, routes, maps, trip reports with suggestions, and generally just enjoying preparing for the trip!

Sorry we'll be missing out on the fun at LAUS in the morning, but glad we'll be on the rails throughout the evening and enjoying that beautiful Pacific Coast sunset view! Hope everyone has a great time on National Train Day! :)

I am taking #66 up to BOS, staying for an hour or so, returning to KIN on #99. There I'll stay at (my home station ;) ) for an hour, get on #161 to NLC, have a <10 minute connection and take #160 back to KIN! :D (Southbound trains are nearly always on time, northbound trains can be late - so I'm comfortable with the connection time.) It'll be a sacrifice :lol: , but for 1,600 points for ~5 hours "work" - I'll force myself to do it! :lol:

The reason I have to stay 1 hour at KIN is because you have to take a separate train (number) - and that's worth 400 points! :p
I know you are an AGR wizard of sorts so I probably have it wrong but it was my understanding that only the first two segments were 4x.

I know you are an AGR wizard of sorts so I probably have it wrong but it was my understanding that only the first two segments were 4x.
You are correct Stephen, only the 66-99 turn will count for quad points. So unless the_Traveler paid $200 for those second two tickets, he'll be getting 400 for the first two trips, assuming that he paid less than $50 for those two tickets, and the normal 2 points per dollar for the 161-160 turn.

Just trying to get an idea see if who might be going to which and what there plans are? Since I figured some AU members would be going to see a few things.

When I asked hubby, he said "unfortunately, we're not riding a train!" :(

Have to fly next week to cali for a funeral.

Still on for June-July though! Hard to wait! B)

I have to go to a wedding on NTD, so I cannot partake in any activities. Otherwise I'd take a ride between Dallas and Fort Worth and back, and see both the activities going on at both stations. But no, have to fly out to a wedding in Baton Rouge on NTD. Maybe next year. :(

Looks as though I'll be taking the Empire Builder from SCD to CBS on May 9. Unlike others, I'll be taking the train for transportation, in order to see the relatives for Mother''s Day.

The wife and I will be taking the NE Regional up to Washington from Richmond to check out the displays and such in the fabulous Union Station. AND collecting the quadruple points!! :p

Aloha

Do you think if I send this picture

9460800_Eb2Ru-S-2.jpg

To Amtrak I could collect quadruple points!! :lol:

Glenn (Navy118), my brother, My buddy gregg, and of course me are attending in chicago! We are driving from grand rapids to michigan city to take the south shore. If anyone is interested in meeting us drop me a pm!

Well now that NTD is 90 minutes away I just wanted to thank everyone who voted and used this thread to meet up in cities around the country enjoy the day! and enjoy those points!

My plans blew up last night due to a late #5. It arrived in LNK over an hour late which meant catching the #6 in Hastings NE was either NOT going to happen or way too close. We are talking a long distance train here and I was to board at 12:08am and then catch the #6 around 2:42am back to LNK. So if it blows up, I'm calling a friend at 3am for a ride from the Hastings NE station and needing a place to crash as well. So, I decided to cancel at 11am. Now, looking at the OTP and train status, the #5 made it to HAS 6 minutes before the #6, so it could have been almost perfect, but I just couldn't risk that. Sigh...so I'm sitting here in LNK bummed it didn't work out.

My day got off to an auspicious start when the Amtrak motor coach blew a tire on state Highway 99 about 10 minutes from Sacramento depot. We came to a safe stop, which is good.

However, it took an hour and 45 minutes to get the tire replaced. I didn't mind too much because I was just goofing around on Capitol Corridor before going to the California State Railroad Museum. However, three of the passengers were going to Stockton to board a San Joaquins. The delay meant they were going to miss a motorcoach connection at their destination in Hanford.

Otherwise, my short 15-minute trips on Capitol Corridor from SAC to Davis were uneventful. It's a beautiful day to be out and I think I spied a lot of families aboard.

I took a couple of rides this morning - to collect those 4X points! :p

One of them involved a <10 minute connection in NLC. I decided to chance it because I knew the southbound is usually on time and the northbound is usually late. However, I was wrong! The northbound was on time, but the southbound was almost 10 minutes EARLY! So I had 15-20 minutes of layover instead!

There was debate if you can have 1 or 2 round trips on NTD for the 4X points. The way I read the T&C is "2 trips per day" and that each trip is either "1 round trip or 2 one ways". If you call Amtrak wanting to go round trip between say ALB and NWK, you don't ask for a round trip ALB-NYP and another round trip NYP-NWK. You would ask for a round trip ALB-NWK. That would count as 1 round trip, not 2 round trips or 4 one way trips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back