New Amtrak Guest Rewards Master Card - Fall 2015

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just applied and was approved. According to the website, I should received my World MasterCard credit card in the mail in 7 -10 days.
Congrats Penny! Did you get an E-mail, phone call or snail mail notification?

I applied on the AGR site on the BOA link but haven't heard anything? ( at least I havent been turned down (yet) like several of our good to excellent credit worthy members.

As was said,Anthony did indicate on flyertalk that BOA had fixed the "bug" in their system that was causing the turndowns!( we know and believe Anthony)

So you are our first successful applicant, hopefully all of us get what we need from this offer?!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just applied and was approved. According to the website, I should received my World MasterCard credit card in the mail in 7 -10 days.
Congrats Penny! Did you get an E-mail, phone call or snail mail notification?

I applied on the AGR site on the BOA link but haven't heard anything? ( at least I havent been turned down (yet) like several of our good to excellent credit worthy members.

As was said,Anthony did indicate on flyertalk that BOA had fixed the "bug" in their system that was causing the turndowns!( we know and believe Anthony)

So you are our first successful applicant, hopefully all of us get what we need from this offer?!!
I applied on line and after some "twirling," I received notification on the screen that I was approved, and was informed of the amount of the card's credit limit (which was $500 less than the credit limit of my friend who applied a few hours earlier).

I applied using the link from the AGR website. I input my AGR number and other information. I am not currently a customer of BoA. I am retired, with what I consider pretty good credit. Within the last year, I applied for one credit card.

So theoretically, we could apply for the new card and use those bonus points on the old zone rewards until January, correct?
Yes, but you'd have to meet the required spend, and receive the Bonus Points before 1/24/16 in order to book a trip using the current AGR System.
If this happened, you could still book the trip up to 11 Months in advance, so that would give you until 12/??/16 to travel on the Award.

Just got accepted this morning for the platinum card. I didn't want the yearly fees as I don't charge that much. Same limits as the Chase card.

I guess whatever computer glitch has been fixed.

I called in and re-applied. I was accepted on the spot. Lower CL than my AGR card (though still substantial).

No idea what's going to happen when my old application gets re-reviewed (that should be an interesting call) or my conversion request gets looked over (another fun on), but I've got the new card approved. Should be here in "7-10 business days" (so...before the end of the month).

What number did you call?

I re-applied online and now have that application is in review...

I just applied online and was approved for the World card. If you have an existing BOA online account, they'll let you use that login to shorten the process somewhat.

My application went through quickly. Approved but only $5000 limit. The Chase card was much greater. Hopefully if I behave they will increase it soon.

I am still waiting to hear anything from Amtrak on the change. The message they are sending is that they place no value on customers at all.

If your in the NEC then the fee card is maybe for you. Light user living in fly over country, then the no fee card.

Program is more focus on NEC travel, with a tip towards other corridor user.

Would really depend on how much you spend each year if your a long distance only rider. The magic number is .....

My thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I don't live near a corridor. My travel usually originates in Memphis and would include a round trip to New Orleans or a long distance trip, averaging a couple of trips per year and almost always in a sleeper.

My wife just applied for the new BoA card & was accepted. She just applied for her "old" AGR card a year ago, & the new BoA limit is a little higher than the old Chase one.

We chose the fee-based one based on the higher signup bonus, plus the fact that we'll probably have to pay for more trips from now on, so the extra bonus for Amtrak travel (and other travel) might turn out to be useful. Also, the companion vouchers will also help - our short trips to Chicago were in sleepers & essentially free under the old AGR zone system, but under the new system we might as well pay for coach for those short connecting trips, & only get sleepers when necessary.

So, apparently, your bonus is taxable and boa will issue a 1099. How does that work for points? And is it based upon the old or the new redemption rates?

So, apparently, your bonus is taxable and boa will issue a 1099. How does that work for points? And is it based upon the old or the new redemption rates?
Do you have a source for that?

The IRS has always maintained that travel on points is not deductible, because points have no intrinsic value. Read post #9 in this tread: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/65224-100-amtrak-guest-reward-points-equal-250-irs-narp/

If they do have intrinsic value now (i.e. are taxable), it would be interesting to see what value the IRS says they have. Since point travel is now distance based, their value varies from day to day.

I think the 1K spend requirement negates the need for a 1099 because the bonus is considered a rebate. If the bonus were just handed over at signup, it may be taxable.

Back