New Job, New Airline!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Well I've been keeping it silent for a while now, but I figure the time is now to make the announcement about new employment!

As some of you may know I was furloughed from my airline in 2009 and then recalled in 2010, (while literally going over Donner Pass on the Zephyr) to go back to my airline. Well I went back and have been there since, however recent announcements came last fall that my airline would be reducing its fleet by half and letting go half it's pilot group over the course of the next two years. Obviously it was something none of us wanted to hear after just coming back to work after a 17 month hiatus.

Needless to say, I began applying elsewhere, and after having not much luck, Skywest Airlines gave me a call to interview in Salt Lake City last February. So I went, interview went well and was offered the job a few days later. Now I've been at my current airline nearly 4 years now and get paid a decent wage, but since little hiring has been done and many furloughs remain on the seniority, I'm still near the bottom of the seniority list! Now I could stay at my current company and at least keep my pay rate for another year or so and just see what happens, OR go to a different place with actual plans for future hiring and growth. The only downside is that I start over in seniority, I take a paycut for the year, and there is always the risk of slowed hiring and I'm stuck at the bottom of the list again for a long time.

After many days of thought, I've finally decided to take the new job starting on March 28th! It seems my future will be much better there as well as the opportunity to fly in different parts of the country than what I'm use to. I'll be flying the same aircraft I'm on now, the CRJ-200, however I will get to also fly the CRJ-700 and -900, which are the stretch versions of the -200 model. Skywest flies as both United Express and Delta Connection. Right now, I'm not sure where I'll be based, but it'll most likely be Houston IAH (easy commute), Chicago ORD (lots of trains to ride), or MSP (Empire Builder and lots of college friends). They also have Denver and Salt Lake as well as several bases in California, but those tend to go pretty senior.

So I pretty much will be doing the same thing, just a different company signing my paychecks, and hopefully I'll get to see what its like flying west of the Mississippi River as well. So if anyone is travelling through SLC on the CZ, let me know! I'll be in training for about 6 weeks!

Sax

Congratulations Chris!
cool.gif

I'll be in SLC in October - but I'll probably sleep thru it!
laugh.gif

I just flew two SkyWest flights this week; Chicago to Rapid City on Monday, and Rapid City to Denver on Friday, both were United Express flights. Nice planes, good outfit. Good luck in the new venture!

Congradultations,

Skywest is probably the best regional airline in the country. They now own ASA and Expressjet as well.

I would say you made the right decision. Assume if you are leaving a regional with CRJ200 equipment that you are coming out of Comair or Mesa?

If so you should be MUCH happier at Skywest a truly quality operation.

Congratulations! I just flew Skywest dba UniteExpress on a Continental code share. By the time I was on the plane I was not quite sure which airline I was flying, :unsure: but that's OK as long as it gets me there :)

Congrats! I've always found SkyWest to be a first-rate operation. My wife and I have flown OO both under the UAx and DL connection branding (and once with the plane in OO colors). There's a sense of ownership with the OO crews that shows in the customer service. Plus, I love the reading the SkyWest magazine!

Best of luck. Take your Amtrak TT and set your flight plans to do a little train spotting from 36,000 feet.

Bill

:hi: Congrats Chris! Think it's a Win!/Win! move for you! Hope you dont have to move out of Texas, if you could snag Houston that would be great even if theres only three trains a week through there plus the Ambus to Longview! :angry: Best of luck in your new job, hope to see you along the rails but NOT in the sky! :lol: Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats.

It's a difficult decision to change jobs, especially when you're currently employed.

I hope your new position is at least as good as the experience I've had since I changed companies 2 years ago. (I've been treated very well and am super-happy I changed.)

A guy I went to college with is a Captain on Skywest. If you run into a Titus McDaniel, tell him "Tokyo" says HI!

Skywest is a top notch company. That is one reason why my friend has stuck with them for so long. Would rather be a Captain on a regional than right seat without seniority on the big boys.

Hope you enjoy your new job. I was an A & P mechanic in the late 60's and early 70's. I bounced around a lot as the economic times were strange then also. I worked for Trans Texas Airways, Air Mid America, and Great Lakes hired me in anticipation of the United Express deal that they eventually got but I was soon furloughed and be the time they got the deal I had hired on the PC railroad as an electrician. After 13 months on the PC I saw an ad and sent a resume to Amtrak (so long ago it was a 7 cent stamp) they were starting the Turbo program in the midwest and were eager to get me with my background. almost 37 years later they medically disqualified me, one year to the day before my retirement!

Good Luck and if you are based out of ORD send me a PM.

PS Keep em turnen and burnen!

Back