Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmk

Train Attendant
Well I finally joined,just lurking for the last year.Not new to amtrak however.Family and I in June took Amtrak, Houston to StLouis.In visiting with our pastor, my wife told him how much we love traveling by train.Recently Pastor needed to go to Milwaukee and couldnt find affordable air fare so he askied for more info on Amtrak.Later we found he had purchased tickets for $134 one way.A bargain he thought! So I offered to take him into HOS and pick up.He returned so excited about his first train trip and had to tell us all about it. He left on 9/27 ,thruway,Tx.Eagleand Hiawatha ,all were comfortable and early at all stations.He loved the food in the diner and the conversation.He said the french toast and salmon were very good.All the crew gave great service except "the guy in the diner who took the money and little else" .He said the food cart guy on the Hiawatha was hilarious.Return trip was off schedule all segments.He even had to run to make connection in Chi.On 10/1 he was the VICTIM of the detour.More on that later.Over all a very satisfied traveler.

WMK,

Welcome aboard the board. And thanks for recommending Amtrak to your Pastor. If we get enough of us perhaps we'll be able to work some clergy discounts. :lol: ;)

Ahh, Marty the snack guy! Here's an article with video from the Milwaukee Jounal Sentinel This is a guy who has found his calling. We should all enjoy our work as much. Looking forward to seeing him on 338 this Thursday!

Somewhere in a trunk of family mementos is a clergy pass issued by the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific in the 1920's to my great-grandfather. I don't know if he enjoyed church conferences and assemblies, but he enjoyed getting there.

wmk

Welcome aboard, the members of this site have a vast knowledge of Amtrak. They can probably answer any of your questions and offer suggestions! (gee that rhymes, I'm a poet and didn't know it
mosking.gif
) Some of the characters here have hundreds of thousands of miles traveled. Some were or are current employees of Amtrak. (Some don't want to admit that, but I'm proud of my almost 37 years of service and my wife is now working on her 31st.)

Marty, the food cart man, is one of the best, wish more of the employees that have public contact were like him.

I also wish that you and your pastor enjoy more trips on Amtrak and that you relax and enjoy the trips you take in the future! For me the vacations begin when I get on the train and end too quickly with the return arrival.

I'll close with a little bit more of my poetry:

Use your brain take the train!

:hi: How nice to see a RR employee admit a love for the rails! I wish more of the newbies working for Amtrak had yours and the other excellent old time employees attitude towards their jobs! Here's one: (Im not a poet and i know it!) ;)

ease your pain, take the train! :D

Welcome to the forum wmk! Maybe you'll write us a trip report at some point? In any case thanks for helping to grow the numbers!

-Dax

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Amtrak unlimited forum. Sounds like you had a good first trip.

There is lots of great info here on how to maximize your rail travel experience. The forum is loaded with dedicated rail travelers who have experienced many comfortable & pleasant trips but as with air travel there can at times be an unexpected change in schedule.

My wife and myself loathe air travel and rail travel is our exclusive means to travel long distance. Its not for people in a hurry but rail travel does have a certain charm and feel all its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back