Northeast Regional discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seating configuration changes are coming soon. Over the first weekend of March, Amfleet I trains along the Northeast Corridor will begin operating with fixed seating configurations with half the seats facing forward and half backwards. This includes all NE Regional trains, the Carolinian, Empire Service and Vermonter.

The new configuration will be fully in place on all trainsets by March 4.

Seating configuration changes are coming soon. Over the first weekend of March, Amfleet I trains along the Northeast Corridor will begin operating with fixed seating configurations with half the seats facing forward and half backwards. This includes all NE Regional trains, the Carolinian, Empire Service and Vermonter.

I've heard that this is to allow faster turn arounds and that they're adding 4 new round trips on weekdays and 2 on weekends.

This wouldn't bother me but some passengers won't like riding "backwards"

Wow this is a big change! Sitting backwards will certainly be something to get used to, especially at the high fares these days.

I've heard that this is to allow faster turn arounds and that they're adding 4 new round trips on weekdays and 2 on weekends.
Only on NEC South.

Will this be for the business class car as well? Or just coach?

I actually enjoy riding backwards. If I could book a seat riding backwards, I might have less chance of getting a seatmate!

Would that include backwards seats on the NEC Roanoke to Boston and Boston to Roanoke routes? Business and Coach Class cars?

Might as well get used to this. I believe the new trainsets that are coming have fixed seating; half forward, half rearward.

Might as well get used to this. I believe the new trainsets that are coming have fixed seating; half forward, half rearward.
It will take thousands of rider complaints for Amtrak to even consider changing seatings. As long as Amtrak can fill its limited consists then changing is a no brainer management will not change!

This wouldn't bother me but some passengers won't like riding "backwards"

Doesn't bother me at all. I often sit backwards in a roomette if the sun is really in my eyes sitting forward. I don't understand why it's such an issue for many. But I also commuted into NYC for years and the commuter trains are set up with half the seats facing backwards so you get used to it I guess.

Doesn't bother me at all. I often sit backwards in a roomette if the sun is really in my eyes sitting forward. I don't understand why it's such an issue for many. But I also commuted into NYC for years and the commuter trains are set up with half the seats facing backwards so you get used to it I guess.
Some people get physically ill riding backwards.
Some of us like to watch the scenery and see it before we reach it rather than see it after we pass it.

Sounds like another reason not to take the train.
Why? That's what they have on the Vermonter and Ethan Allen Express, and their ridership seems fine. Also, practically every regional/corridor train around the world is using these, and it doesn't seem to stop people from riding the train.

Why? That's what they have on the Vermonter and Ethan Allen Express, and their ridership seems fine. Also, practically every regional/corridor train around the world is using these, and it doesn't seem to stop people from riding the train.
I was expressing a personal preference. I think it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

West Coast people also ride Canadian designed lozenge shaped tri level commuter cars with facing seat pairs. Northeasterners hate those and avoid the knee knocker seats they do have, seldom 100% occupied, even with standees.

Last edited:
Funny how passengers on the Surfliner, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Hiawatha, etc., have had 50/50 forwards/backwards seating for decades just fine, but somehow it’s going to be this terrible thing on the NEC.
From what I have seen on trains lately 90% of the people just bury their heads in their electronic devices or go to sleep and won't even notice. The only ones that will care are the railfans and those for whom riding backwards gives them motion sickness

Funny how passengers on the Surfliner, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Hiawatha, etc., have had 50/50 forwards/backwards seating for decades just fine, but somehow it’s going to be this terrible thing on the NEC.
I remember on the old Pennsy Trenton local commuter lines all the seats were reversible. So you'd just flip the seat to the desired direction bc it was cushioned on both sides. When I rode them daily Elizabeth-Newark in the 1960's the cars were already 30-40 yrs old. But the sets were almost always operative.

Last edited:
I remember on the old Pennsy Trenton local commuter lines all the seats were reversible. So you'd just flip the seat to the desired direction bc it was cushioned on both sides. When I rode them daily Elizabeth-Newark in the 1960's the trains were already 30-40 yrs old. But the sets were almost always operative.
The RDG RDC cars that ran out of Philly were like this except they only had padding on one side but the seat back could be rotated so that the padded side was on the correct side when it was flipped over. The metal back made a great card table if flipped halfway over and a suitcase or bag stuffed under it. 🙂

Is there a place to view a decent seat map for the soon to be new seat configuration?
For coach, no. I'm farily certain that each coach will have the seats facing half backwards/forwards in diffrent rows. It's hard to keep that consistent.
This my version of the Amtrak seat map that shows the windows more clearly. It assumes the break between the seat directions will be Row 8-9. View attachment 35902

Keep in mind that this is a Business Class car layout above. Coach doesn't have any tables.

Folks I can confirm that this will go into effect beginning the 1st of March. They will be transitioning the seats from the 1st and hope to have all cars at "50/50" by Monday the 4th when the new Schedules go into effect.

For coach, no. I'm farily certain that each coach will have the seats facing half backwards/forwards in diffrent rows. It's hard to keep that consistent.

Honestly curious, why would they do it that way? There’s fundamentally no reason there couldn’t be a consistent row where the seating direction changes. Having the direction change in different rows for different cars is just asking for problems for no real reason.

On all of the midwest/West Coast routes that have 50/50 seating, they basically use the same seat row to flip directions.

Back