Northeast Regional or Acela

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're a family of four, looking to use Amtrak to go from NYP to WAS. I notice that Acela Express is considerably more expensive than the Northeast Regional. What is the differnence, especially in comfort and crowding?

Also, is upgrading to business class on the Northeast Regional a good move? What do you get when you do so?

The differnence between Acela & NE Regional trains is

A ) Acela is aimed at Business Travelers and is higher cost because of the costs.

B ) NE Regional is aimed at family travelers and is slower.

An idea is take Acela one way and an NE Regional the other. I would upgrade to Business Class if you are looking to sit across from each other. I think thier are tables in Business Class and your family can sit their and be together.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest difference between AE and Regionals is speed. You hear the hype of the AE going 150 MPH, but between NYP and WAS, AE is limited to 135 MPH. (Regionals in the same stretch go 125 MPH.)

Many people say that if they are paying, they'll go Regional. But if the company is paying, they'll go AE.

A ) Acela is aimed at Business Travelers and is higher cost because of the costs.

An idea is take Acela one way and an NE Regional the other. I would upgrade to Business Class if you are looking to sit across from each other. I think thier are tables in Business Class and your family can sit their and be together.
As far as I know, there are no Amfleet Business class cars with tables in them. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Acela is newer, and, as one of my friends put it, is "very Star Trek." (I didn't know you could use "Star Trek" as an adverb, but he's an English teacher, so I guess it's OK.)

Acela's benefits, at least as compared to Northeast Regional:

*Speed (10-25 mph faster at the most, and more often, the same speed)

*Fewer stops

*Larger windows

*Brighter, cheerier interior

That's really all.

Acela first class gets you all the above, plus:

*2x1 seating (some rows have tables)

*Free hot meals

*Free drinks (including alcoholic, IIRC)

*Complimentary newspaper

It's very nice, but again, it's much easier to justify if someone else is paying (or if it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing).

Regional business is much more variable. It gets you complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and could get you any of the following:

*Half of the Club-Dinette car, with 2x1 seating and faux-leather seats

*An Amfleet business-class car with 2x2 seating but slightly more legroom

*An Amfleet I coach car with the word "BusinessClass" taped over the word "CoachClass"

If it's the first one, it's definitely worth it (though the only train that reliably has this is the overnight one, trains #66/67). If it's the second one, it's probably not unless you're really tall. If it's the third, it's definitely not worth it, as the only thing you'd get is a free soda and a slightly more upscale crowd of traveling companions (but probably fewer screaming babies).

If you get a Club-Dinette car, you can always attempt to upgrade on-board--though I'm not sure if you can do that on NEC services. Otherwise, save your money.

I'd concur with the above recommendation to do Acela one way and Regional the other. That way, you can try out both services to say you've done them (and make the decision for yourself if Acela is worth the premium). If you do that, I'd probably go ahead and splurge on Acela F--just once, though.

As far as I know, there are no Amfleet Business class cars with tables in them. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this.
The NE Regional I was in, just a month ago, had a table in our BC car. Of course, with two seats on either side, with one of them riding backward, kind of like a booth.

Thank you all for your replies.

Actually, we'll only need the service one-way, as we'll be boarding the Crescent in WAS to go home to Louisiana.

It doesn't sound like business class on the Northeast Regional is going to be that big of a treat. I think I'd really like to try the Acela Express just for the experience, but I'll wait and see if anyone else has anything to add.

Thanks again.

CL

Regional business is much more variable. It gets you complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and ...
From my experience, BC passenger's "complimentary non-alcoholic beverage" is a 1/2 size can of soda, that's left out and therefore served at room temperature. Coach passengers, instead, are sold full size cans of soda, that are refrigerated and therefore served cold.

IMHO, a small can of warm soda, isn't much of a perk. :rolleyes:

Acela's benefits, at least as compared to Northeast Regional:
*Speed (10-25 mph faster at the most, and more often, the same speed)

*Fewer stops

*Larger windows

*Brighter, cheerier interior

That's really all.

Acela first class gets you all the above, plus:

*2x1 seating (some rows have tables)

*Free hot meals

*Free drinks (including alcoholic, IIRC)

*Complimentary newspaper
There are also some tables interspersed in the BC section of Acela. The FC car has more, but they can be found in business too.

I noticed that the Carolinian also appears to be an option. With the Carolinian, I think we'd be able to check our luggage, which would be very helpful. The one minus is that the Carolinian departs NYP at something like 0700.

Does anyone know anything about the Carolinian? Experience? Coach or Business Class?

CL

You may not have to take the same train your checked luggage does, although I'm not sure if having your luggage on a different train would help you.

Note that the time difference is only about 1/2 hour from NYP to WAS. That's a savings of almost 14%. Keep in mind that if you're a FIRST class passenger on Acela or a sleeping car passenger on the Crescent, you'll have access to the Acela Lounge in DC. Depending on the time of your layover, this could be a nice place to store your luggage while you roam the streets of DC, or provide a nice little oasis if your wait time isn't that long. Sleeper and First Class on the Acela ain't cheap, so consider the cost vs benefit.

Oh the Carolinian...I have fond memories of that trip I took on it this summer. Helga the Asst Conductor marched me to the back of the coach car in ***** fashion and told me I could NOT take ANY pictures on any Amtrak train. I started to laugh a bit and said, "I have always taken pictures on Amtrak and even with the conductors by my side." She then asked, "where?" And I replied, "on the CZ and SWC". Then she got full of bull.....said that you could take pictures on western trains with Sightseer Lounge cars. So packed the camera up, put it away since I was going to get booted off the train if caught again. Than I sat back and watch others take pictures to thier hearts content! :angry: I figured she had lost her job with the SS, then lost her job with the KGB, and then applied at Amtrak for the Carolinian! :lol:

About the differnce? I would go with the Carolinian if it doesn't get you to DC too early for your connection. I liked Acela, but the speed difference wasn't that much but the price sure was. I was paying for a family of 4 and splitting the cost. We did enjoy Acela, but pricewise, the Regional was fine.

I noticed that the Carolinian also appears to be an option. With the Carolinian, I think we'd be able to check our luggage, which would be very helpful. The one minus is that the Carolinian departs NYP at something like 0700.
Actually, you can check you bag on ANY train that goes between NYP and WAS that offers checked baggage service (Silver Service, Crescent, #66/67, Carolinian), even if you may not be able to ride locally on that particular train. As long as you check baggage prior to the departure of those trains, they will be placed on those trains. The bad thing is that because you may not be allowed to travel on that train, your bag may get to WAS either before or after you do. If after, you may need to return to the station to get your bags!

Does anyone know anything about the Carolinian? Experience? Coach or Business Class?

CL
In my not-so-humble opinion, Business Class on the Carolinian falls into the following category:

Regional business is much more variable. It gets you complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and could get you any of the following:
*An Amfleet I coach car with the word "BusinessClass" taped over the word "CoachClass"

...it's definitely not worth it, as the only thing you'd get is a free soda and a slightly more upscale crowd of traveling companions (but probably fewer screaming babies).

Some Regional Business class cars have tables. Most do not.

I know both Acela and NE Regionals offer wi-fi; is there any reason to believe that the wi-fi offered on Acela is better / faster / more reliable than the wi-fi on the NE Regionals? If it were, that *might* be a reason to justify the higher cost of Acela for a business traveler.

I've used the wi-fi on the NE Regional, and it was quite slow. Assuming the Acela uses the same trackside hardware, there would be no reason to think the Acela's service would be better. But maybe a techie out there could elaborate on this!

I know both Acela and NE Regionals offer wi-fi; is there any reason to believe that the wi-fi offered on Acela is better / faster / more reliable than the wi-fi on the NE Regionals? If it were, that *might* be a reason to justify the higher cost of Acela for a business traveler.

I've used the wi-fi on the NE Regional, and it was quite slow. Assuming the Acela uses the same trackside hardware, there would be no reason to think the Acela's service would be better. But maybe a techie out there could elaborate on this!

I am no techie, but based on comments from passengers, I can almost assure you that Acela wifi is no faster. It may be more reliable, just because of closer attention paid to mechanical needs, but faster, I think not.

This thread is four years old. Amtrak was charging higher fares for Acela long before wi-fi was introduced to either service.

In fact, Amtrak was charging higher fares for Metroliners vs. regular trains long before the concept of the internet was part of everyday conversation.

They are targeted at different markets, and that is why the fares are different. No other explanation really needed.

Realize this is an old thread- but am quite amazed by the high cost of the Acela recently.

We travel on the Northeast Regional frequently and have been on the Acela a few times, but never paid an "amazing" price.

Does anyone know if the cost of the Acela has changed recently?

I am no techie, but based on comments from passengers, I can almost assure you that Acela wifi is no faster. It may be more reliable, just because of closer attention paid to mechanical needs, but faster, I think not.
I have not ridden the routes, but I know wifi (I used to be a Geek Squad agent). If they're using the same trackside hardware (the onboard access points will be identical), then all trains which use those tracks will have the same experience. The only variable is the number of people using the wifi, and given Acela's clientele, it's entirely possible, nay probable, that more people on it will be using wifi and therefore the service is actually slower.

Realize this is an old thread- but am quite amazed by the high cost of the Acela recently.

We travel on the Northeast Regional frequently and have been on the Acela a few times, but never paid an "amazing" price.

I don't have a copy of the older buckets on the Acela, but from what I can tell, Amtrak has been riding PPR on it for all it's worth. Average PPR was $126.46 in '07; it was $145.50 in '11, and YTD it's $146.89 (vs. $143.30 through this time last year); even though it's being held down at least somewhat by cannibalization from the Regionals (due to the Wi-Fi situation and the sheer cost), this is still a respectable jump in per-ticket costs since '07.

The "trackside hardware" is nothing more than the regular cell phone towers used by anyone with a cell phone. All of Amtrak's WiFi systems use cellular data modems from all the big carriers. The system automatically switches between the carrier's providing the strongest signal at any given moment.

So depending on signal strength of the various modems, and the number of people using the WiFi, one can see good results or poor results. Now I suppose that the odds are good that you might find a few more people tying to use the WiFi on an Acela, but I sure wouldn't want to make book on that either.

The "trackside hardware" is nothing more than the regular cell phone towers used by anyone with a cell phone. All of Amtrak's WiFi systems use cellular data modems from all the big carriers. The system automatically switches between the carrier's providing the strongest signal at any given moment.
As expected. That's the standard setup.

So depending on signal strength of the various modems, and the number of people using the WiFi, one can see good results or poor results. Now I suppose that the odds are good that you might find a few more people tying to use the WiFi on an Acela, but I sure wouldn't want to make book on that either.
Perhaps the NER have quite a number of wifi users. I haven't seen a lot of computers on the corridor trains I've traveled on, but I suppose it may be an "if you build it, they will come" sort of thing.

Yes, they did. In the last 12 months I noticed that fares went up, but mostly just by a few dollars. For example, low bucket BOS - PHL became $150 (instead of $147) and low bucket BOS - NYP went to $104 from $99. And actually I think there have been two price jumps because at one point low bucket was $101 BOS - NYP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back