NTD (Revised poll - due to new information)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where will you spend NTD (Revised poll)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be arriving a little late on 164, scheduled to arrive in Philadelphia at 11:16.

I will look for the group once there.

Just booked my triple-point tickets for NTD.

Arriving at 8:16 on #162 (to get the lowest price and still get there before 11:00)

Heck, that's the time I normally leave my house for work. Meeting you guys better be worth it. :lol:

Departing at 4:33 on #87 (did pay for a higher bucket, but used a disability discount which brought it closer to the lowest bucket and gives me a better time to leave - after the 3:33 and before the 5:33).

Normally I would have taken SEPTA, but couldn't pass up the triple points. Too bad these low buckets don't qualify for the 5 ride bonus. :(

Just booked train 155 MET to PHL so I will be there for the 11AM meet up.
See you at Metropark!

My return trip will probably be via PATCO, RiverLINE and NJT, the roundabout and cheapest way.

I am ditching my plan to go to GCT. I will stick around in Philly as long as the gang hangs around and then head back the scenic route. :)

See you at Metropark!

My return trip will probably be via PATCO, RiverLINE and NJT, the roundabout and cheapest way.

I am ditching my plan to go to GCT. I will stick around in Philly as long as the gang hangs around and then head back the scenic route. :)
If you have a contactless credit card (like PayPass), you can use that at the PATCO entry and exit fare gates instead of the Freedom smartcard. Just touch in and touch out with your credit card, and that's it. This is a new PATCO feature that went live earlier this month, and it works great. It would save you having to stop and buy a paper ticket.

See you at Metropark!

Sounds good. I though I was going be heading home the long way with just the simple Trenton shuffle, but that is certainly one way to get back

Anyone else going to CHI who may want to do a meetup there? I'm planning on going for the whole day on 5/12 (actually arriving on Friday night on #355 and spending the night), returning directly from Union Station on #354. Looks like I'll be enduring the Norfolk Southern delays once again on the trip there and back - Julie called me and told me Friday's departure would be moved up an hour...

I'm still undecided where I'm going to celebrate NTD. I did CHI last year. Dallas and Fort Worth in previous years. But sounds like most people are doing PHL again huh. I also have about 6 days off after that I have a real itching to take a long distance ride again. Just can't decide where to.

If not everyone will have access maybe John (a PHL resident and Amtrak ace) can suggest a good place for us to meet.
Although I'm not going to NTD, Steve the guy who knows PHL like the back of his hand, :lol: agrees with the Statue. A secondary meeting spot is The area of Stairway 10. IIRC it's one of the only stairways that isn't going to be overcome by NTD tables. But the Statue is ideal. Easy to spot. The hallway where baggage claim that leads to CA is a third and final option. But that will most likely be overcome by lines for Train Displays.

Have fun! :)

I agree that the statute is a good meeting place! Heck - even Penny can find it!
laugh.gif

I agree that the statute is a good meeting place! Heck - even Penny can find it!
laugh.gif
I resemble that remark :lol: Now, I will be really embarrassed if I cannot find the statue. I know your phone number and will text you if I cannot find it, and you can try to find me. :lol: :lol:

You mean that may have to use GPS to find out where you are - and which way to turn inside the station? :lol: It's a wonder that they let you out of Florida - and especially out of the country (to see the "Canadian Sand")! :giggle:

What's more surprising is that the Border Patrol let you back into the US! :eek:

laugh.gif
I resemble that remark :lol: Now, I will be really embarrassed if I cannot find the statue. I know your phone number and will text you if I cannot find it, and you can try to find me. :lol: :lol:
Penny IF you miss the statue that will be a first for me! It's 20 feet tall. :) I've never heard of anyone missing the statue.

laugh.gif
Psst, Penny. The NTD website has a brochure with a map of 30th St station. The statue is near Tracks 1&2 (#5 on the map).

laugh.gif
Psst, Penny. The NTD website has a brochure with a map of 30th St station. The statue is near Tracks 1&2 (#5 on the map).
Thanks. The_traveler had previously mentioned it to me and I printed out the map. Now, I have no excuse. Except - my wrong turn notoriety came from a time in St. Louis when I had a map in my hand and turned the wrong direction. :wacko: I guess my problem may be that I am challenged at reading a map.

I hope to meet up with the group somehow. I arrive on the Crescent at 12.08 pm Saturday Return 3.55 same day

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it sounds like Bill will be the last person into Philly on Saturday, hopefully his train will run on time to DC and therefore early coming up the corridor to Philly. My train is scheduled in at 11:10 AM, so by 11:15 or so I should be upstairs and at the meeting point. I think that the statue is a fine place to consider meeting, provided that they don't decide to run one of the exhibit lines around it, rather than down the long corridor to the lounge like normal.

If you've been to last year's Gathering or last year's NTD, then I already have your phone number in my phone. If you haven't been to either, then should you want to be informed of any last minute changes in the meeting point or want to have a way to find the group, please send me a PM with your cell phone number and I'll send you mine in return.

I'll be wearing my Amtrak 40th Anniversary baseball cap and I'll also wear one of my name tags from the past gathering to help those who don't know anyone find us. And with a large group of over 15 I believe, we should be pretty easy to spot anyhow.

Finally, while I can't guarantee that we'll actually be able to make the trip (I failed 2 years ago, getting done with the exhibits at the same time the train left), I have booked a round trip on the Keystones in the hope of doing a quickie points run out & back to Paoli. I've booked the 2:45 PM departure, train #665 from PHL to PAO; returning on train #670 the 3:27 departure from Paoli. It gets back in to Philly at 3:55 PM, which unfortunately would exclude Bill from riding with us, since his returning Crescent leaves at 3:55 PM. However, anyone taking that day's Meteor should be safe in joining us. Obviously those on the Regionals will have to look at their own schedules and decide what they are comfortable with.

Well, just as luck would have it, the RiverLINE is being bustituted at its south end that day. So I think I will probably just join Alan on his Paoli turn in the afternoon and then head back homewards at some point later on the NEC.

Also, just FYI, GCT will have the following on display:

*Private Cars—*

--Hickory Creek

--Tavern Lounge 43

--Cannon Ball

--Epicurus

--Birkin

--Kitchi Gammi Club

--Ohio River

*Commuter & Freight Cars—*

--Metro-North BL14CG (Brookville Locomotive Works)

--Amfleet II Diner-Lite Lounge

--Viewliner Sleeper

--Amfleet I Club Dinette

--Track Geometry car

--Cat car and Boom Truck

(In case you’re curious, Metro-North will have two BL14CG switchers on

display; these locomotives are used in Grand Central to move train cars

around.)

And to give participants a real blast from the past, *Amtrak will also have

its 40th Anniversary Exhibit Train* that will include a locomotive, Bistro

car, and renovated baggage cars displaying historic advertising, uniforms,

photos, and memorabilia.

My NER return train leaves at 4:33. Should that be enough time (barring any major unforeseen delays on the Keystone) for me to do the points run?

Of course, if I did miss the 4:33, then I'd be out the money on that and have to pay for the next available train. Or I could catch a SEPTA train.

I guess triple points on the points run would be worth it.

I'll be on NER 164, scheduled into PHL at 11:16. Thinking of taking the points run to Paoli, but have not booked it yet. My NER home isn't until 6:33, so I guess I'll have time for a brew or two when all is said and done. :rolleyes:

For those considering a Paoli turn, please keep in mind that today is the last day to book such a trip and still get discounts like AAA. It's only $1.30 round trip in savings, but still might as well take advantage if you can. I'm not sure precisely what time it is, but I suspect that it's @ 3:00 AM that the 3 day rule gets invoked and discounts are locked out for Saturday. I know that it's not at Midnight tonight, as I've booked before 1 AM in the past and still gotten the discount.

Points Run question- if I book separate Philadelphia-Paoli and Paoli-Downingtown tickets on the same Keystone train and travel to Downingtown and back to Philadelphia (again on two separate tickets), will I get 4 x 100 x 3 = 1200 AGR points? Or will it be combined to give only 600 points?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back