NTD (Revised poll - due to new information)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where will you spend NTD (Revised poll)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at CHI, but I missed you all - overslept and didn't get here until 11:40 or so. Looks like most of the train excursions sold out, so I guess I won't do that. Oh well - I get to ride the Capitol Limited in 2 weeks...

I am on my way back home from PHL. Had a great time seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Thanks Alan for coordinating our activities. As usual, you did a great job. Dinner on 97 with Dave, Jim, and Anthony was delicious. We are pulling into WAS, possibly a bit early.

It was a most enjoyable visit to PHL for NTD. All of the AU group people were very cordial, friendly and nice. A special thanks to AlanB for arranging the meeting place (and for sharing his new Viewliner drawings and info), to Anthony for making this all possible, to Bill H for sharing his vast knowledge of passenger rail, for Penny for adding her cheerful, vibrant,personality to the mix and to the_traveler who's legendary time on the rails is unparalleled. As for the other attendees like Chris, Betty, Jisnu, Ryan (and others who's names I can't recall) a big thank you for extending the hand of friendship to this relatively new group member.

I had to attend a Track meet in the morning, my son Nick made a new personal best in the 1600m. I made a mad dash for NYC on the cursed bus, no point I going via NYP. I made it to NYG by about 1:30. There were some nice little exhibits in the hall upstairs, an N scale layout run by a NJ club, very popular with the public. There was a nice kid's area and a stage for musical performances. The were having a cooking demo which did not interest me. Separate booths were selling NTD and Amtrak merch, shirts and mugs etc. plus a great assortment of HO Amtrak trains. There were three tracks for train exhibits. One track was a regular Acela train you could walk through. The other was an assortment of museum and privately owned older cars, and the third was the museum train, some unusual Amtrak cars and the 40th anniversary store car.

Last edited by a moderator:
The interesting Amtrak cars at NYG include the Viewliner Diner, very nice inside, high ceilings and all. There was a car marked Metroliner that was a kind of conference room car, with a boardroom and several small meeting rooms. The Beech Grove business car was there and it was cool to be able to walk though and take some pictures. There is a very luxurious bedroom in that car, too, by Amtrak standards anyway. One odd choice for a display was the Diner Lite from the Cardinal, complete with all the not-universally-loved menu items on display. New Yorkers I was with were having their first look at a sleeping car too, they were astounded as if viewing an elephant or rhinoceros.

The old cars on display were quite swell, although something about being underground in Grand Central and the narrow corridors gave the feeling ( claustrophobic) of being in a submarine. Cars included one of the iconic boat-tailed launch cars from the 20th Century Limited. There were several nice Pullman sleeping cars (those thick beds made me want to lie down). There was a quite luxurious car called Cannonball with a bar at one end, and a very well-preserved Santa Fe diner with a full lunch counter.

Joe, Misty, Kevin and I had a nice tour in Chicago. Kevin's Wolverine Train 351 must have

made a Wrong Turn and arrived CHI 45 minutes late. We walked through all of the Amtrak cars

and five PV cars. Saw a Slumbercoach Sleeper and some very nice private cars.

Below are a few pictures. I think you will recognize the characters!!

0trn1.jpg

0trn2.jpg

0trn3.jpg

Thanks to the poster who advised us about the AGR Credit Card entry. There was a long line

of people waiting to enter the exhibit, but we were able to walk to the head of the line and

show my AGR Card and get immediate entry. It was a very nice perk plus we were given a wooden

whistle.

Too bad I missed you all in CHI - I was late due to oversleeping, but it sounds like I could have caught you had I known you would still be there later. I saw all the cars - some of the private ones were quite neat! It was also nice to see the Great Dome and the sleepers I haven't seen before (bedroom and family bedroom - I've only been in Viewliner Roomettes on the LSL). Next year, I'll make sure I don't oversleep - I did want to meet up and get to ride the excursion train (which I missed due to it selling out quickly). I also will probably will take the train there next year - I took a bus there/plane back for better arrival/departure times, but it felt odd not being on my usual 355 and 354...

For those of you that did ride the excursion train - where exactly did they go, and what was the train consist? I think I saw it in Union Station - I saw a train with a bunch of Superliner coaches and a lounge car but no sleepers... Probably didn't miss much, though - I will get to ride Superliners on the Capitol Limited TOL-WAS in less than 2 weeks...

Thully, I wish we could have met you in Chicago. None of us had met you and would

not have recognized you. You must come to Philadelphia in October for the Gathering.

Glad you were able to tour the cars as I feel the exhibit of cars were outstanding.

We had a lovely time making our own NTD at the St. Louis Museum of Transportation. My daughter had to climb inside all the cabooses. She didn't like the locomotives, though, too high for her. Her younger brother, on the other hand, climbed up in the Big Boy and had a blast pulling all the levers and knobs. They had some volunteers running a streetcar around the campus, too. Great fun was had by all.

We got to the museum via KWD station, so we got to be there for the NTD festivities that morning, also. Live bluegrass and goodies for all ages. They had a couple of excursions yesterday, too. We weren't a part of those, but both Friday and Saturday the trains were very full. We didn't even get four seats together on the #314 Friday. Glad to see so many on the trains.

The were having a cooking demo which did not interest me.
I went to the cooking demo at LAX mainly because it was being held in the old restaurant space (normally not open to the public), but it turned out to be fun. It featured two members of the Amtrak culinary advisory team, Bob Rosar assisted by Marcel Lagnaz. They made an appetizer called a Seafood Martini -- scallops, shrimp, crab and some veggies in a lemon vinaigrette dressing, served in a martini glass. Seems to be destined for Acela first class as opposed to the LD trains, so I'm not sure it was particularly relevant to LAX. It was delicious, though (everyone attending the demo got a taste, served in a plastic martini glass).

Makes the heart glad that so many members had so much fun in various places. I certainly had good time in Philly.

Many thanks to Alan and Anthony and all who help make us such a great, fun internet group.

And, lest we forget, thanks to Amtrak itself!!!!

OK, now I can say "been there, done that" when the subject of National Train Day comes up.

Some thoughts about the event at Tampa Union Station:

1. Very impressed with the Amtrak Police K-9 demonstration. A contingent of handlers came down with their dogs and put on a show for the crowd. They're on the N/B Autotrain right now, their next assignment.

2. I expected there to be a lot of "foamers," and I wasn't disappointed. There were, however, a surprising number of "locals" who came out for the attractions (food trucks, static displays, informational kiosks, etc.).

3. I couldn't get over the fact that 6-yo kids of both sexes can sit down at one of those "train simulators," and "drive" trains across the country in all kinds of weather. I'm having trouble getting my fingers to post this!

As far as the trip on the Star goes, it was quite uneventful. Apropos of a discussion about on-board upgrades, either here or at another site, I overheard a quite inebriated gentleman in the lounge car being quoted a "take it or leave it" price of $214 for a roommette upgrade for one, Kissimmee to NYP. I believe he "left it." $214 buys a lot of Buds.

Too bad I missed you all in CHI - I was late due to oversleeping, but it sounds like I could have caught you had I known you would still be there later. I saw all the cars - some of the private ones were quite neat! It was also nice to see the Great Dome and the sleepers I haven't seen before (bedroom and family bedroom - I've only been in Viewliner Roomettes on the LSL). Next year, I'll make sure I don't oversleep - I did want to meet up and get to ride the excursion train (which I missed due to it selling out quickly). I also will probably will take the train there next year - I took a bus there/plane back for better arrival/departure times, but it felt odd not being on my usual 355 and 354...

For those of you that did ride the excursion train - where exactly did they go, and what was the train consist? I think I saw it in Union Station - I saw a train with a bunch of Superliner coaches and a lounge car but no sleepers... Probably didn't miss much, though - I will get to ride Superliners on the Capitol Limited TOL-WAS in less than 2 weeks...
You're right about the consist, SSLs and coaches (several of each) and engine #156. The ride departed track 2, backed through the yard and did a wye by heading west at 16th street, south across the bridge, then back through the yard and past the station on the rip track onto the north tracks (I was on the 1:30 and we briefly "raced" the departing #7), then forward again past the station on the through track, backing in on track 2.

The crew provided explanation of what was happening and why, pointing out the shop buildings and other infrastructure, what happened to the train after it arrived and before it went out on its next run, and similar narration that you don't get on a normal trip.

Yes - I distinctly remember seeing engine 156 as part of the consist - it did look unusual compared to the normal Amtrak engines. Sounds like an interesting short ride, but nothing new to anyone who regularly does LD trips. (I wouldn't say I regularly do LD trips, but I do one every couple months or so, and do shorter trips such as ARB-CHI more frequently than that).

I had fun regardless - though next year I'm definitely setting an alarm to make sure I don't miss anything, wherever I'm going for NTD (be it CHI or another location)... Oh well - time to start looking forward to my WAS trip on the Capitol Limited (IMO, that's probably the best of the shorter-duration LD trains).

railbuck said:
1336973071[/url]' post='367226']
thully said:
1336882865[/url]' post='367057']Too bad I missed you all in CHI - I was late due to oversleeping, but it sounds like I could have caught you had I known you would still be there later. I saw all the cars - some of the private ones were quite neat! It was also nice to see the Great Dome and the sleepers I haven't seen before (bedroom and family bedroom - I've only been in Viewliner Roomettes on the LSL). Next year, I'll make sure I don't oversleep - I did want to meet up and get to ride the excursion train (which I missed due to it selling out quickly). I also will probably will take the train there next year - I took a bus there/plane back for better arrival/departure times, but it felt odd not being on my usual 355 and 354...

You're right about the consist, SSLs and coaches (several of each) and engine #156. The ride departed track 2, backed through the yard and did a wye by heading west at 16th street, south across the bridge, then back through the yard and past the station on the rip track onto the north tracks (I was on the 1:30 and we briefly "raced" the departing #7), then forward again past the station on the through track, backing in on track 2.

The crew provided explanation of what was happening and why, pointing out the shop buildings and other infrastructure, what happened to the train after it arrived and before it went out on its next run, and similar narration that you don't get on a normal trip.

I attended NTD in Chicago. On my return on the Lake Shore Limited,

I met gaspeamtrak in the dining car. We were at the same table for

breakfast and were talking about trains. I suggested he check out

Amtrak Unlimited and he said he was a member and poster!!

Seems that we have members all over the country - and Canada!!

Decided at the last minute to go to the NTD festivities at Tampa Union Station tomorrow. Going down and back on the Silver Star, Deland-Tampa. Anyone from AU going to be there?
You may have seen me there, Mike, though I left not terribly long after the #91 arrived. I'm glad you were able to make the trip down for the day. It's a shame that you missed the special events which took place earlier in the day. They obviously didn't consider railfans daytripping on the Star when they planned the schedule.

The events in TPA were especially significant this year because May of 2012 marks the centennial of Tampa Union Station! :D

To mark the occasion, there were a number of guest speakers and special presentations which officially opened the festivities around 11 that morning. Naturally, speeches focused on the station's role in the history of Tampa as a whole (particularly during WWII), and in its immediate neighborhood (once the city's original African-American business district in the Jim Crow-era - long since erased by urban renewal). Also there were several representatives from the National Railway Historical Society who presented a large plaque commemorating Tampa Union Station's 100th anniversary, and naming it to their National Register of Historic Railroad Landmarks (the existence of which I was unaware, but thought cool nonetheless).

IMG_4989.jpg

I'm guessing you might have seen the plaque during your visit, Mike.

Other highlights from this year vs. previous years: as you noted, the Amtrak Police K-9 unit demonstration was pretty cool, and I thought the exhibit and demonstration on the telegraph and morse code was an appropriate nod to history. It was nice to see CSX bring some maintenance vehicles and equipment for display this year. The variety of food vendors this year was the best by far.

Happy 100th, TUS!

TUSClock.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back