Offended by Dining Car Service Person

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck, I have tried to say that once before. But if we must continue this silly thread it would be at least more entertaining if we introduce a bit of controversy. :p That's why I decided to turn troll on it :giggle:

...I am never as prepared for snarking as I should be.
Snarking as a sport does exist with a minor but vocal contingency here. As has been noted above, it has been interesting to watch how this thread has wandered and what assumptions different folks make. IMHO the slant that people put into their responses says a lot more about them than it does about the OP. I've noticed one member here who has a byline that is along the lines of: "Before you take anyone too seriously, remember the only things needed to post online are an internet connection and a computer, and almost any fool can rise to that level." :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see much "snarking" in this thread. Most of the posters seemed to side with the OP's own assessment. On a generally pro-Amtrak forum. If I were the OP I'd consider the theme of this thread to be a show of substantial support.

My wife and I had a group dinner at our home years ago, and among the leftovers was a basket of artificial sweetener packets. A few days later I noticed that the basket of packets seemed noticeably emptier (and we don't use artificial sweetener). I took the basket to our then 6 year old son and asked, "have you been eating these packets?" "No dad." "Are you sure?" "Well....., maybe." I can't even fake being mad when I'm laughing. He survived the incident. He's 28 now with not a pound of fat.

Sometimes kids will be kids, and that has nothing to do with being a good parent or bad parent. As I recall, when I was a kid, I used to sneak eating spoonfuls of Nestle Quik right out of the box. It was like a chocolate bomb exploding in your mouth. Hmm, do they still make Quik?

I think the OP has made it clear that this is both condoned and routine. In other words, nothing like the one-off covert events you're describing. I doubt anyone here thinks serious harm has been done by a single paring of a butter and sweetener packet. The real harm is in showing routine acceptance of unhealthy behavior.

Sometimes kids will be kids, and that has nothing to do with being a good parent or bad parent. As I recall, when I was a kid, I used to sneak eating spoonfuls of Nestle Quik right out of the box. It was like a chocolate bomb exploding in your mouth. Hmm, do they still make Quik?
Oh, yeah. I still occasionally take one last spoonful for my milk...and put it directly in my mouth. :wub:

Oh, yeah. I still occasionally take one last spoonful for my milk...and put it directly in my mouth. :wub:
I thought that was the only way to eat that stuff :lol: :lol:

The OP did not ask "Am I a good parent?" The question was whether or not the Amtrak employee was out of line.

The answer is "yes."

The OP did not ask "Am I a good parent?" The question was whether or not the Amtrak employee was out of line.

The answer is "yes."
Actually, the answer is "we don't know."

None of us, other than the OP, was there.

We only have one, extremely slanted viewpoint of the story. I don't see how any reasonable person could draw a reasonable conclusion from just one account of the story, especially when said account is by a person who already has a specific conclusion in mind that we are supposed to draw.

Such an entertaining thread. The payoff:

"You've eaten nothing but red meat for lunch and dinner since you've boarded - that isn't good for you. Are you really sure you want to order another Flat Iron Steak?"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

In a way, you were both right.

You were right in not being so incredibly uptight with your two-year-old about a completely trivial matter. Train rides are not easy on kids that age, and knowing how long the wait is in the dining car, it's better to pick your battles and give the kid a break. The server could have made a joke and let it go; if she actually did scold you loudly and then go so far as to move the butter out of reach, then she was way out-of-line.

However, even though she handled her end completely inappropriately, it's still commendable that she was willing to speak up. I'd have a much bigger problem with the person who sees a parent acting like an absolute jackass towards their kid and then looks the other way. At the very least, this person cared enough to say something (even though, again, I think your handling of the situation was fine based on what you described).

The answer is "yes."
Actually, the answer is "we don't know."

None of us, other than the OP, was there.

We only have one, extremely slanted viewpoint of the story. I don't see how any reasonable person could draw a reasonable conclusion from just one account of the story, especially when said account is by a person who already has a specific conclusion in mind that we are supposed to draw.
Usually I would be all about needing both sides of the story, but unless the OP is completely making this up I would tend to agree with him. Regardless of how it was said, staRangers have no business telling me what I should or should not feed my child.

We absolutely have enough info to say that the people in this thread that have called the OP a bad parent are out of line.

We absolutely have enough info to say that the people in this thread that have called the OP a bad parent are out of line.
There's no way to discern a bad parent from a single post. But a bad decision? Yes, I think that's discernible. It's hard to defend a decision to feed butter and untested sweetener to a young child simply to pacify them. It sounds as though the waitress was indeed overreaching and lacked the necessary tact and professionalism expected of service staff. In the end I find it hard to completely approve of either side's decision making in this case. It may not be the most satisfying conclusion but I think it's probably the most reasonable one.

He's explained himself and the logic behind his position in more than just a single post, and as a parent myself I find his position quite reasonable. My son had a strange fascination with butter at just about that age as well, so it's not something that I find surprising and it's not really a big deal.

Usually I would be all about needing both sides of the story, but unless the OP is completely making this up I would tend to agree with him. Regardless of how it was said, staRangers have no business telling me what I should or should not feed my child.

Suppose someone comes on here and says

"I was just on a train and there was this totally unprofessional LSA out there who seemed to make fun of everything everybody ordered. He then accused me of running with scissors when I wasn't. Not only that, but he did so in a voice that made sure everyone in the car heard him. I felt totally humiliated by that. He even threatened to spray his ketchup bottle on someone just because they didn't order anything from him.

Should I report him to Amtrak?"

What do you think the near unanimous response would be on this forum?

Of course, the OP would probably be talking about this guy.

So, no, one side of the story cannot possibly lead anyone to a reasonable conclusion in this case. Period.

So, no, one side of the story cannot possibly lead anyone to a reasonable conclusion in this case. Period.
Exactly. Even with a silly little incident like this, its irresponsible to make a conclusion based on hearing only one side of a story. I know its more self-satisfying to just sign on to a lynch mob that someone's trying to incite, though ... :(

Exactly. Even with a silly little incident like this, its irresponsible to make a conclusion based on hearing only one side of a story. I know its more self-satisfying to just sign on to a lynch mob that someone's trying to incite, though ... :(
And usually when people are unsure of their position but still want to stick with it, they also have to say that everyone else is out of line etc. :p

What do you think the near unanimous response would be on this forum?
I don't think that there would be. I can't recall seeing a near unanimous response to any thread around here, you'll always find someone willing to take the other side.
I disagree. Period. :rolleyes:

These are two things that are wrong with America.

1. People get offended of the most ignorant menial things.

2. Everybody wants to tell other how to raise best their children.

Neither, by the way, is guaranteed by the Constitution.

My advice:

BUTT OUT

This thread reminds me of the old saying about academic politics: "It's vicious because so little is at stake."

Tough crowd.......
laugh.gif

These are two things that are wrong with America.

1. People get offended of the most ignorant menial things.

2. Everybody wants to tell other how to raise best their children.

Neither, by the way, is guaranteed by the Constitution.

My advice:

BUTT OUT
I guess your understanding of the Constitution is vastly different from mine then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back