Ohio Gov Kasich Calls Us A "Train Cult"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he going to join John McCain to say that "... Amtrak doesn't serve my state ..."?
huh.gif

Wow, I'm a cult member. That's pretty exciting. This guy makes Scott Walker look like a Rhodes Scholar. Good choice, Ohio!
What have Rhodes Scholars done to make you dislike them so much?
tongue.gif
I wouldn't want to put words in Mike's mouth, but I think he is using Rhodes Scholar as a metaphor for intelligent. He's just saying Walker looks intelligent compared to Kaisich.

Wow, I'm a cult member. That's pretty exciting. This guy makes Scott Walker look like a Rhodes Scholar. Good choice, Ohio!
tongue.gif
I wouldn't want to put words in Mike's mouth, but I think he is using Rhodes Scholar as a metaphor for intelligent. He's just saying Walker looks intelligent compared to Kaisich.
All this time I thought that it was "roads scholar" a person that studied highway maps!!!

help.gif
mosking.gif
help.gif

tongue.gif
Oh, I agree, that's what I figured he meant too. (Sarcasm isn't always easy to convey electronically.)

tongue.gif
Oh, I agree, that's what I figured he meant too. (Sarcasm isn't always easy to convey electronically.)
Thanks for figuring out what I meant to say, PaulM. It was sarcasm. I don't think I've ever actually met a Rhodes Scholar, but they're supposed to be smart. Ohio's governor-elect sure isn't one of them, especially given the fact that many of his fellow Republicans were backers of the Three-C project

What Kasich is implicitly depending on is that it takes one cult member to detect another. Unfortunately sometimes cult members think anyone that disagrees with them is a member of another cult. Since there is questionable logical foundation for their own belief system they cannot understand that someone else might be different in that respect :) And thus the name calling and ad-hominem attacks begin. Mind you I would be the last person to imply that he is actually a member of any cult. All that I am suggesting is that he has probably run out of rational arguments and hence has to start using other well known techniques of argument - like calling an adversary a heathen etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a speech made at Newark, Ohio yesterday, Ohio's future governor John Kasich, said he and his newly appointed Director of Transportation will fight any efforts to build high speed rail in Ohio.
GREAT NEWS !!!!

I hope President Obama terminates ALL FUNDING AND SERVICE to those states who do not want it.

Would not want to force anything on ya, I mean, there is that peskey 10th amendment we need to follow.

Shift the funding and service to those who appreciate it.

All that I am suggesting is that he has probably run out of rational arguments and hence has to start using other well known techniques of argument - like calling an adversary a heathen etc.
He never had a rational argument to begin with.

He just saw what the Gov Elect for Wisconsin was doing and how much publicity he was getting for it, and decided that this would be his cause too, so that he could get elected. I'm quite certain that he never even knew that this was a Republican plan to begin with, unlike Wisconsin's plans which have at their root Tommy Thompson but AFAIK the plan wasn't actually written by Republicans, much less approved by the state Senate.

Unfortunately, I'm not finding any info online about how to contact Kasich. I loved how he said once during the campaign that he hasn't met a single person who would take the 3C train. I'm wondering if he REALLY asked that question of every single person he met during the campaign? DOUBTFUL. I want to contact him and let him know that I am one of MANY who want the 3C train and would ride it regularly!

The letter in this thread will be put out, they like it so it is probably going to be in the Sunday edition-- the most widely circulated.

The letters are always posted to Cantonrep.com, when I have a link I will supply it-- discussion usually happens. If there is enough interest they will sometimes do a follow-up Op-Ed column the next week.

You guys should take this more seriously than you are because this is how you're perceived by the general public!

You want more funding for rail? Well, Congress and the general public aren't going to vote tons of money toward paying for the whims of a cult.

Can't you take a step back and think about how Joe Q. Public might react to the topics brought up on this board? Amtrackers expressing sorrow that people dieing on tracks are disrupting their precious train rides? Outrage over Amtrak trying to save a few tax dollars in ways that will make things slightly less cushy for frequent riders? The general disgust leveled at people who occasionally take to the air just because they'll save a few days of travel?

You guys absolutely present yourselves as cooks and as a cult worshipping trains, and that's not doing your cause any favors.

Kasich has it right, and the sooner you accept it, learn from it, and change your attitudes, the sooner you will get what you want.

You guys absolutely present yourselves as cooks and as a cult worshipping trains, and that's not doing your cause any favors.
There is a big difference between a hobby or interest and a cult. I wouldn't know about "cooks".

You want more funding for rail? Well, Congress and the general public aren't going to vote tons of money toward paying for the whims of a cult.
Maybe (as you say) we are a "cult", but I'm almost sure you or someone in your family drives on the roads. Thus you are part of the "automobile cult"!
ohmy.gif
And (as you said above) Congress and the general public should not vote "tons of money" for the whims of the "automobile cult"!
blink.gif

Oh, and by the way, with your belonging to AU and with 322 posts, aren't you part of this "cult" also?
huh.gif

You guys should take this more seriously than you are because this is how you're perceived by the general public!

.... [snippage of some drivel ....]

Kasich has it right, and the sooner you accept it, learn from it, and change your attitudes, the sooner you will get what you want.
Considering that Chrisitianity originated as a small "cult" of "cooks" within the Jewish realm, that spent most of their time hiding in caves by the Dead Sea and stuck to their beliefs to plant the seeds of what it has grown to today (and I don't mean just the far right types, but also the liberal Christians who far outnumber the far right in the whole world today), I don't see your rationale for us to be worried or our need to change, as very well thought out or supported by history. I think we are all in good company :) Being part of a larger herd of sheep never produced any useful disruptive change or sowed the seeds for progress. It is small "cults" that cause such. Think the founding fathers of the USA. Think Mahatma Gandhi in India. Of course "cults" also have a large failure rate, but so do large herds of sheep ...er... Empires. 'Tis the nature of the beast, so why worry about that? Best foot forward and then que sera sera!

So if you are getting a distinct impression that some of us are going to ignore your advice, and we will most likely all outlast Kasich's political career, and most likely thrive doing so, you would be sort of on the right track ;)

Can't you take a step back and think about how Joe Q. Public might react to the topics brought up on this board? Amtrackers expressing sorrow that people dieing on tracks are disrupting their precious train rides? Outrage over Amtrak trying to save a few tax dollars in ways that will make things slightly less cushy for frequent riders? The general disgust leveled at people who occasionally take to the air just because they'll save a few days of travel?

And exactly WHY are you on this forum?

Unfortunately, I'm not finding any info online about how to contact Kasich. I loved how he said once during the campaign that he hasn't met a single person who would take the 3C train. I'm wondering if he REALLY asked that question of every single person he met during the campaign? DOUBTFUL. I want to contact him and let him know that I am one of MANY who want the 3C train and would ride it regularly!
Since the Governor-elect is not making his work address apparent, write to him at his home:

KASICH JOHN R

7825 LANETTA LN

WESTERVILLE, OH 43082 USA

And exactly WHY are you on this forum?
That's a good question, one that I imagine lots ask and that I try to lay out from time to time.

I'm here for the same reason lots of you are: I'm interested in trains, think they should be expanded to more of the country, think they could play a larger part in American life, and--heck--I'm interested in railfans too.

So many of you are saddened by lack of funding for rail and the fits and starts of expansion... well, I'm saddened by the ways fans and supporters of rail often shoot themselves in the foot unknowingly, helping cuts to happen!

As with any community, the choir preaching that goes on here can often lead to attitudes that actually harm the cause when it's taken to society. You guys don't seem to realize how you're perceived outside of these forums and other close-knit groups. You don't seem to realize that you're throwing away potential supporters and political capital that could see our dreams of rail realized.

So embrace the cult-like perception if you want. Have fun being seen as a group of selfish hobbiests demanding tax dollars to build your toys. Go ahead with your relentless attacks on driving and air travel as if on religious crusade.

Just realize that you're biting the hand that feeds you, and don't expect an outpouring of generosity from the nation's coffers in return.

Most importantly, be sure to shoot this messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back