Pacific Parlor Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

National Limited

Service Attendant
Why was the decision made to put Pacific Parlor Cars on the Coast Starlight? Was there something special about this route? Why were they not offered on other routes (other than lack of availability)--why was the Coast Starlight chosen over others? So may questions . . . .

Why was the decision made to put Pacific Parlor Cars on the Coast Starlight? Was there something special about this route? Why were they not offered on other routes (other than lack of availability)--why was the Coast Starlight chosen over others? So may questions . . . .
The Coast Starlight was undergoing a massive upgrade and the cars were assigned to that route to allow for a better quality experience. The route also lends itself to a deluxe product with the ocean views and the spectacular scenery along the route. If there were more they would probably be assigned to the Empire Builder route, since it is equally as spectacular.

The Coast Starlight was undergoing a massive upgrade and the cars were assigned to that route to allow for a better quality experience. The route also lends itself to a deluxe product with the ocean views and the spectacular scenery along the route. If there were more they would probably be assigned to the Empire Builder route, since it is equally as spectacular.
I think a big part of it too is that Amtrak's California management has been pretty adept at positioning all their product to take advantage of the environment. As I recall, the parlor car idea was something of a gorilla campaign to improve train ratings and load factors, and ran counter to trends elsewhere to strip services. As it turned out, the experiment was very successful, driving lots of buzz and increased loads, so they held on to the cars and the service. I believe that Amtrak is looking at putting a Cross Country Cafe car onto the Empire Builder in addition to the current Lounge and Diner, to provide meals for the Portland section and help fill demand. However, I'm not sure if it'll ever get used as a first class car only, although without the larger windows a CCC would be a poor cousin to the PPC.

Because someone has to say it: Because that's where the Pacific Ocean is, silly!!!
... and calling them "Colorado River Parlor Cars" or "Endless North Dakota Wheat Parlor Cars" just doesn't have the same ring to it! :lol:

I think a big part of it too is that Amtrak's California management has been pretty adept at positioning all their product to take advantage of the environment. As I recall, the parlor car idea was something of a gorilla campaign to improve train ratings and load factors, and ran counter to trends elsewhere to strip services. As it turned out, the experiment was very successful, driving lots of buzz and increased loads, so they held on to the cars and the service. I believe that Amtrak is looking at putting a Cross Country Cafe car onto the Empire Builder in addition to the current Lounge and Diner, to provide meals for the Portland section and help fill demand. However, I'm not sure if it'll ever get used as a first class car only, although without the larger windows a CCC would be a poor cousin to the PPC.
To paraphrase: They realized that normal people need a land cruise to justify the extra time of taking the train.

It was originally done at a time when Amtrak was organization split into fairly autonomous strategic business units. Most of the long distance trains were in one, but not the Starlight. The Starlight was under the control of Amtrak West, which had a tight relationship with California. Amtrak West originated the superior service upgrade, which also included a pure Superliner II consist aside from parlour. They took the completely amortized and paid off Hi-Level lounges that were slated for disposition and started running them as the PPC, originally with just their normal lounge interiors as they ran on the Sunset. They strung mini Christmas lights in the interior to make the look festive. It was a very, very low cost innovation. When it took off, they paid to have the interiors redone.

When Amtrak re-consolidated the SBUs, they kept the train as Amtrak West had developed it.

It also didn't hurt that at that time the division manager at that time was one of better managers that Amtrak had. He realized and understood that one has to actually spend money to make money. He saw an oportunity, and thankfully upper management allowed him to do so, to improve the service level of the train and through that the ridership of the train. His name escapes me at the moment, although for some reason the name Rosenwald is flying around in my head, but I don't think that's correct.

Years later David Gunn proved the same concept by introducing the enhanced service on the Empire Builder that saw major gains in ridership on that train.

And please I'm not suggesting that they were the only two managers in all these years that understood these things. I for one continue to be impressed with some of the recent improvements around the Amtrak system that VP Emmett Fremaux and his assistants have managed to pull off in the face of the bean counters.

We have Emmett to thank for cafe cars on the Regionals and Aclea's that actually open within minutes of leaving the originating station and don't close for two hours at NYP. We have Emmett to thank for the mid-run cleanings that occur between NY and Stamford/New Haven now. And I believe that we have Emmett to thank for the recently improved service on the Coast Starlight, just to name a few things. And as Jishnu pointed out in another post, Emmett was also behind adding cars back to the Regionals.

Brian Rosenwald, the guy you are referring to, was indeed the manager and is now Chief of Product Management for the whole company.

I think the PPC concept started around 1996...

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian Rosenwald, the guy you are referring to, was indeed the manager and is now Chief of Product Management for the whole company.
Thanks, guess my memory was better than I thought it was. :)

I think the PPC concept started around 1996...

In fact the original experiment was supposed to have ended in September of 1995. But the overwhelming success has kept it going all these years. :)

At one time, the Atlantic Coast trains, as well as the Lake Shore and Crescent were supposed to have first class lounge cars in the Crew Dorms. But nothing ever bacame of it and now the cars are retired.

It would be nice if they could make a single level Lounge with big Sightseer-type wrap around windows for the east coast trains.
It's been done. The Seaboard Air Line had Pullman build "Sun Lounge" cars for the Silver Meteor in 1955, which were sort of like single-level sightseer lounge cars:

Seaboard_Pullman_Hollywood_Beach.jpg

Seaboard_Railroad_Sun_Lounge_postcard.jpg

Those are kind of cool. Anybody know what happened to them?

I would think there are certain routes that are considered "Premier Routes", and should have some extras like the Parlor Car.

That being said, I'm sure the response would be 'no money'.

So, if the PP cars were/are such a success are they in danger of being eliminated due to their age and/or the equipment replacement plans?

Also, was there ever any consideration of changing the smoking area (the enclosed lounge area) on the cafe cars on the Silver Service trains into a lounge? Every time I road the Star or Meteor after the trains were changed to no smoking this enclosed area was used for storage. It seemed strange to me that there wasn't any lounge area on these trains since the Miami/NYP trains seem to have fairly good patronage.

It would be nice if they could make a single level Lounge with big Sightseer-type wrap around windows for the east coast trains.
It's been done. The Seaboard Air Line had Pullman build "Sun Lounge" cars for the Silver Meteor in 1955, which were sort of like single-level sightseer lounge cars:

Seaboard_Pullman_Hollywood_Beach.jpg

Seaboard_Railroad_Sun_Lounge_postcard.jpg
That's the one I was trying to recall-Thanks for the pics. I do believe one is still making the private varnish rounds.

I've ridden on a number of Amtrak trains, EB, LSL, TE, SWC, Silver, CS, LS and others. I've enjoyed them all but the only one that stands out in my mind as a REALLY first class experience is sitting in the Pacific Parlor Car on the Coast Starlight.

It is true that the scenery on the CS is wonderful but that is not the only spectacular scenery that I've seen - no other train has a car with the ambiance of the PPC!

I believe they were inherited by Amtrak. From what I understand, one or two were bought from Amtrak, while the others (were there others?) were scrapped when the Heritage program started.

I would think there are certain routes that are considered "Premier Routes", and should have some extras like the Parlor Car.
Just guesses, but I bet the "premier" routes are the Auto Train, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, and Coast Starlight.

Yep.

Just guesses, but I bet the "premier" routes are the Auto Train, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, and Coast Starlight.
For a while, I was hearing the Capitol Limited would be "re-launched" as the premier eastern route ... but that was dependent on re-upgrading it to full diner cars, which hasn't happened yet. I was never clear on whether this plan also included adding service/staffing/amenities as well (are there enough CCC cars around that they could put one on each CL consist for use as a "first-class lounge"?). And I haven't heard anything about this plan for some while, so I don't even know if it's still in the works.

Meanwhile, the LSL has seen a lot of recent equipment upgrades (diner restoration, Boston sleeper) though I don't think it's seen any service/staffing/amenity increases nor any real "re-launch" fanfare.

And the Crescent last fall got a sort of "re-branding" though not "re-launch" -- no new equipment, no additional staff, but the staff now wears Crescent-monogrammed uniforms and has much more of a team spirit and seems to work harder to create a unique and memorable customer experience attached to the Crescent specifically. Amazing what you can do with no money, just a lot of positive thinking and teamwork!

Those are kind of cool. Anybody know what happened to them?I would think there are certain routes that are considered "Premier Routes", and should have some extras like the Parlor Car.

Sadly the point of this discussion is exactly my point over time here. Trains should offer passengers paying extra fare for a supposed first class trip amenities that relate to that fare. As has been mentioned the results are often that trains are much more popular due to those features. Even the old rail roads knew that, they didn't just haul those fancy cars around because the were so fond of spending money, they were designed to attract riders and keep them. I loved the comment that the only train one of you could really remember fondly was the one with the PPC on it. Thats the point.

Now for a even worse reality check. If you read the report on the newsletter about the future of amtrak and Boardmans plans, he more or less says that they are not interested in providing cars beyond the bare minimum of getting you where your going. And still worse was the comment that "revenue" producing cars were the ones that they were interested in. I would think it odd, but then when you get government buracrates running things, often thats what you get a head in the sand type of reality. We all know as mentioned that the Empire Builder and Old Coast Star Light consist was what gained them big increases in ridership, not a spartan set of meager cars and poor food service.

I believe they were inherited by Amtrak. From what I understand, one or two were bought from Amtrak, while the others (were there others?) were scrapped when the Heritage program started.
None were scrapped by Amtrak- all were sold. I think a couple of them were scrapped subsequently to that. They were all inherited, though. The cars were not converted to heritage equipment for several reasons, the main one being that they were Pullman Standard SS-cladding carbon steel cars, which were the worst cars ever built. The cladding proved a trap for moisture, and caused the carbon steel to corrode. They were some of the newer cars in Amtrak's fleet, but they weren't worth keeping around.

Sadly the point of this discussion is exactly my point over time here. Trains should offer passengers paying extra fare for a supposed first class trip amenities that relate to that fare.
You pay less money for a sleeper class upgrade on Amtrak than you do for a comparable domestic first class upgrade on an airline. You get more- relatively real food, a place to sleep, privacy, first class lounge in major stations- and yet you complain. Why? You aren't paying what you once paid for first class travel on trains of years gone by.

Sadly the point of this discussion is exactly my point over time here. Trains should offer passengers paying extra fare for a supposed first class trip amenities that relate to that fare.
You pay less money for a sleeper class upgrade on Amtrak than you do for a comparable domestic first class upgrade on an airline. You get more- relatively real food, a place to sleep, privacy, first class lounge in major stations- and yet you complain. Why? You aren't paying what you once paid for first class travel on trains of years gone by.
I think Larry's point is that by providing some modest additional amenities, you can drive more demand, sell more space, and earn more revenue. I have to believe the lounge cars on the Coast Starlight have driven added demand for the service, improved the sales in the diner, and hopefully allowed Amtrak to earn more revenue per passenger. From a passenger perspective, I must say having somewhere other than my assigned seat to go from time to time is really what train travel is all about. I think having the observation car, even if shared with coach, makes train travel far more enjoyable than it would be otherwise.

I think Boardman's perspective is that Amtrak is threading a needle of sorts - they want to provide an affordable service and hit certain cost recovery targets. Added services that enhance or maintain that recovery will be considered, improvement just for the sake of feel good won't get past go. Probably not an illogical perspective given all the politics Amtrak has had to deal with.

The fact of the matter is, Amtrak in its early years never found any ridership increases from increased service. The Broadway Limited was the first Amtrak marketing experiment. Ridership stayed the same that year. And the halting of ridership dropoff had happened the year before, so they couldn't even claim that.

They have consistently dropped services and consistently not lost ridership for it. It has only been since the relaunching of the Empire Builder that this trend changed. Amtrak is embracing the idea, but like any sensible company that lives from congresses hands to their own mouth, they are doing so with caution.

If Amtrak does anything that makes the LD trains look like a folly, they will disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back