Pet Hamster?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

College Student

Hi, I'm on my way back to college and I have no way of bringing my pet Syrian Hamster back with me except if I bring her on to the train. She has a travel carrier that is two cages combined. There is a bar cage to prevent her from sneaking out (I even secured it with a lock) that goes in a bite proof fabric carrier to keep her warm. She is spayed (as in there is no possibility of bringing a pregnant hamster aboard) and has all her shots. She's trained to fall asleep whenever she is in her travel cage. She is also trained to not bite, even a stranger!

I know this is a big no-no but would it be over looked if she was out of sight from a conductor or fellow passengers?

(Out of Sight, Out of Mind.)

The only animals allowed on trains are service animals. If you can train your hamster to be a service animal, it would be allowed. But I think they specifically say "service dogs". This disallows "service cats", "service snakes" or "service pigs" - and yes some have claimed pigs!

When I was on the Silver Meteor last Summer the Conductor noticed a waiting pax with a bird as we pulled into the station and got onto the radio with the AC to let him know that pax was NOT getting on his train with the bird. We held in station for a few extra minutes while they did a car to car search in Coach and finally resolved the situation; it made for interesting Scanner chatter. No bird invaded out train :)

The only animals allowed on trains are service animals. If you can train your hamster to be a service animal, it would be allowed. But I think they specifically say "service dogs". This disallows "service cats", "service snakes" or "service pigs" - and yes some have claimed pigs!
Actually, Amtrak's service animal policy does not specify that is must be a dog, only that the animal must be trained to perform a specific task for

a person with a disability. (I.E., no "comfort animals"). I don't think Amtrak personnel are permitted to ask a passenger what their disability is, but

they are permitted to ask what task the animal can perform.

So the OP would need to train the hamster to perform something and be prepared to demonstrate. As that seems highly unlikely, the only answer

is that what the OP is proposing is clearly against Amtrak policy.

To the question of "out of sight, out of mind." Well, there are probably ways to accomplish that but I don't think it's appropriate to offer suggestions

about how to contravene Amtrak policy. Sorry you didn't get a better answer, but Amtrak has been very clear on the pet issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak's official pet policy is very strict, so strict that Congress has complained about it. So is Greyhound's. This is, of course, absurd. It's actively dangerous to send your pet as "checked" luggage on an airplane, so don't do that. You used to be able to convince the airlines to let them in the cabin, but you probably can't do that any more either. This means the only legal options are driving your own car, or a rental car (most rental car agencies *will* allow pets), finding someone else to drive you, or hiring a taxi. If you don't have a driver's license, the situation is even worse.

Of course, if you're concerned about the safety of your pet at home without you (and I've known people in situations where they had reason to be concerned), then you don't want to leave your pet at home either.

Honestly, if you're taking a short trip on Greyhound or Amtrak, it's probably worth "smuggling" your pet -- the worst that can happen is that they kick you off early and you have to get an expensive taxi. If the scenario of leaving your pet at home is worse, then, well, safety of your pet comes before rules. You'd better have a backup plan (wads of money for taxis) in case they do kick you off, though. I wouldn't risk it if you're taking a 50-hour trip on a long-distance train, because it's going to be hard to catch a taxi from Albuquerque to Chicago (for example).

The best suggestion is to train the hamster as a service animal, strange though that sounds.

Amtrak's pet policy is stupid and needs to be changed. Congress will probably be forcing it to be changed in the next year or two.

Calling a hamster a "service animal" is an insult to the thousands of people who legitimately require the services of a bona fide service animal. Fine, bring your service hamster, I'll bring my service boa constrictor.

If you're taking a route which has commuter service, the commuter railroads all allow pets. If you're taking a route which you can piece together from city bus service, nearly all city bus routes allow pets. (This is particuarly useful in the Northeast Corridor, Chicago, SoCal and NorCal areas.)

So, OP, let me understand this- you already know carrying pets on Amtrak is not allowed, and yet you are asking if it is okay to do an ILLEGAL thing? What makes you think this is okay? Why stop at sneaking in pet then, might as well go one step further and board the train without ticket and you may be able to get a free ride to your destination (or a police station depending on your luck).

I sometimes can't believe how selfish people can be, thinking it is okay to break the rules as long as it is for their personal convenience, and worse is, there are even members here who are encouraging to "sneak in" the hamster. Great! Next lets encourage everyone to run red lights. After all, rules are for idiots and you are smarter than the masses, right?

No one was insulting anyone that actually requires a service animal.

I'm going from Penn Station (NYC) to Syracuse. It's a little over 5 Hours.

So, OP, let me understand this- you already know carrying pets on Amtrak is not allowed, and yet you are asking if it is okay to do an ILLEGAL thing? What makes you think this is okay? Why stop at sneaking in pet then, might as well go one step further and board the train without ticket and you may be able to get a free ride to your destination (or a police station depending on your luck).

I sometimes can't believe how selfish people can be, thinking it is okay to break the rules as long as it is for their personal convenience, and worse is, there are even members here who are encouraging to "sneak in" the hamster. Great! Next lets encourage everyone to run red lights. After all, rules are for idiots and you are smarter than the masses, right?
There is no reason to become hasty. This is not getting anyone injured nor am I trying to score a free ride. It was a simple question about pets. I see now I should no longer do business with Amtrak since members can be so rude. Instead of adding rude posts you could have done what earlier members did and politely warn me about the strict rules and what possibly could happen if I were to be caught.

I've seen a lot of conductors ignore this rule. Hell, one time someone brought a hamster and IT GOT OUT! The conductors were sweet enough to help the owner find the hamster!!

This site is not run by Amtrak, so don't let a few snippy people bother you and do take the train if it is practical. I did not think your question was out of order. In fact, I would offer you a ride in my car, but I live in Arizona and do not plan to drive east anytime soon!

No one was insulting anyone that actually requires a service animal.

I'm going from Penn Station (NYC) to Syracuse. It's a little over 5 Hours.
College Student, please don't be turned off from Amtrak due to a couple of responses from people who do not formally represent Amtrak

in any capacity.

Unfortunately, your choices to get from New York City to Syracuse are limited. Greyhound and Megabus offer service between those cities,

but they have similar pet policies to Amtrak. If you want to bring the hamster, and don't want to violate any policies, your choices unfortunately

will be limited to either a private auto, a one-way car rental, or an airline ticket [provided the airline will accept your pet]. The latter two will

be more expensive than Amtrak, and I'm guessing if private auto was an option, you wouldn't be asking about this in the first place.

Best of luck!

Aren't you a little old to have a pet hamster? Sounds like a well-trained one, trained to go to sleep and trained not to bite. Wow, pretty smart.

This site is not run by Amtrak, so don't let a few snippy people bother you and do take the train if it is practical. I did not think your question was out of order. In fact, I would offer you a ride in my car, but I live in Arizona and do not plan to drive east anytime soon!
Thank you for your kindness. :)

There is no reason to become hasty. This is not getting anyone injured nor am I trying to score a free ride. It was a simple question about pets. I see now I should no longer do business with Amtrak since members can be so rude. Instead of adding rude posts you could have done what earlier members did and politely warn me about the strict rules and what possibly could happen if I were to be caught.
Maybe Amtrak is also better off without your business since you are trying to knowingly break a law. I would not have said any of the above if you came as a clueless passenger wanting to know what the pet policy is, but in your original post you clearly said "I know this is a big no-no but would it be over looked if she was out of sight from a conductor or fellow passengers?

(Out of Sight, Out of Mind.)" Maybe don't think of breaking laws if someone calling you out on your folly makes you throw a hissy fit like this?

Aren't you a little old to have a pet hamster? Sounds like a well-trained one, trained to go to sleep and trained not to bite. Wow, pretty smart.
College can be quite stressful and my Resident Assistant suggested to get a school approved pet to help. Sometimes having a little friend can ease stress. I thought having a hamster would be childish at first but it was nice to always have someone there to bring a smile to my face. (Even if it's just a little furry one.) Also, yes. She is very smart and I am very proud of my hamster's intelligence, but I really just think she's too nice to bite and she gets bored in her travel cage and goes to bed. :)

We have guine pigs and had one that we traveled with and she was quiet when the car was moving.
Oh look, another specimen of entitled passenger thinking they are above the rules. gn2276, would you also say it is okay for me to travel without a ticket on Amtrak trains if I be quiet when the car is moving?

Yes, the anti-pet rules on Amtrak might be a bit harsh, but as law-abiding citizens, we ought to follow what the rule is. If you don't agree with the policy, please use alternate mode of transport rather than trying to give ideas to people to break rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
You seem like a nice person. Notice my handle. My two kitties have enriched my life and make me smile. Some people I have known do not produce the same results.

Maybe Amtrak is also better off without your business since you are trying to knowingly break a law. I would not have said any of the above if you came as a clueless passenger wanting to know what the pet policy is, but in your original post you clearly said "I know this is a big no-no but would it be over looked if she was out of sight from a conductor or fellow passengers?

(Out of Sight, Out of Mind.)" Maybe don't think of breaking laws if someone calling you out on your folly makes you throw a hissy fit like this?
"breaking laws"

Which legislative body passed the law that says pets are not allowed on Amtrak? I think you are confusing rules and policies with actual laws.

What the OP is proposing is not a capitol offense.That said, I think it's inappropriate for anyone to actually encourage rule-breaking on Amtrak.

But let's not get too carried away here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back